Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, since my audience demands it ...

(and no, I don't copy/paste; somehow finding my old posts, copying them, and then tweaking them for each new post seems like more work than just re-writing a paragraph or two ... but then I was a Literature major so writing doesn't bother me as much ...)

The Green Server (AKA the "Recycle" Server ... and BTW both those names come from the players; the staff has never picked an official name) is the goal of Project 1999. You might think Blue is, but Blue is actually Project 1999's beta server. Where we all play is actually the testing ground where the devs try out and QA all of their beautiful classic EQ code in anticipation of Green.

Someday, when all that code is 100% complete and tested (most likely years from now) the devs want to create their endgame: a server that is as close to a reproduction of Classic (through Velious) as they can possibly make, and that server would be Green. Unlike Blue, which had seven years of Kunark, Green would have less than a year of Kunark, just like live did. Once it reaches the end of its 2-3 year run, it would start over ("recycle").

As I said, Green (perhaps by another name) is the goal of this project, but that does not mean it's coming anytime soon. The devs still need to release AND test the Chardok 2.0 patch, release and test the smaller patches that come after (but before Luclin), and then (and this is the big one) they have to complete everything on their bucket list that they've put off doing. Again, Velious took seven years to code, so that should give you an idea of just how far off Green is.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really understand what you mean by this bit here. Didn't they start with development of classic before moving to kunark? Shouldn't that bit already be done?

This isn't quite a "from the ground up deployment" as they have already done that.
I've been playing toons in old world dungeons (the xpacs suck, /thumbsup mintmaster) and I can tell you the pathing in Najena, Splitpaw, and Upper Guk all have mobs walking through walls on patrols. Maybe that's classic and is intentional or maybe it's "we just spawned in mobs from a database and quickly sketched some routes" but there's work that could be done.

I have also been watching Tecmos Deception's enchanter videos and he mentions that pathing in Lower Guk was different (better) earlier in p99 history than when he was doing those videos and captured heinous examples of broken pathing there.
Last edited by Donkey Hotay; 02-01-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Closed Thread