Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stole the technique from an enchanter 2 years or so ago on here. He was the one referring to it as "Reverse Charming."

In KC basement with the skeletons you just charm one and make him attack another to where he will aggro 3-5 at one time. They won't aggro you unless the charm breaks (or you sit down) and you can root them all in a group. You shouldn't have to pop harmshield doing this in KC basement unless your charm breaks and your FD fails when you first aggro a pack. There also aren't pathers in the jail area so your FD will always be clear when they return to their spawn.

You should give this a try and let me know what you think. It's incredibly fast and efficient once you get the hang of it.
The harmshield is for in Charasis, if you send your pet in, before the pet can get in to engage the others, they will run for you. And in Charasis, the stakes are very high with all the skeletons harm touching, so you take any precautions possible unless you want to burn an EE (although there has been more Charasis traffic as of late). And since you can't FD with a charm pet without breaking the charm, that out isn't available to put initial aggro onto the pet.

I've done stuff that is basically what you describe, just shaped to a particular camp, but to make it the dominant strategy requires a specific type of camp, and I haven't encountered many spots like that that I feel make a particularly useful contribution to the guide, although they certainly exist for other purposes. As I described in my prior posts, my guide is written to get a person to where they can solo just about anything a Necro can solo, and so the wider net the guide casts is to teach a diverse array of strategies, and I believe Charasis Basement, as I describe it, is sufficient to introduce people to managing group charms for their soloing career. Nevertheless, I'll probably make a note that it is another way to charm, so if people find such efficient spots, they can utilize it.

Weird that he called it reverse charming. Then again, I've heard people say that charm killing is holding onto one pet, and killing mob after mob like a Magician, and reverse charming is when you get them both low, and pop them both at once. I also have heard people call reverse charming when you charm one pet, attack another, get one to low, break your charm, root your pet, deflux the non-pet, and charm a new 100%, and so you stagger them based on 50% of their health total. A difficult term for sure.

Anyway, seems like something worth adding in the additional necromancer resources section, along with the grouping guide, research only words, and Levant locations.
Last edited by Uteunayr; 02-05-2014 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can technically use this method anywhere that their is a high amount of undeads in groups (where you can easily aggro several with one /pet attack). If you do acquire non-undeads you can simply dot them down and let them just be extra dps. Doing it like this isn't quite as efficient (dots take longer to kill than charming like this), but usually after going through several pets, the normal mobs will have had their health dwindled enough that they are easily finished with the last undead left alive.

The main downside is you can't use this method on enemies that cast DD spells, as they will continue to break your roots.

I don't remember all the locations that this works well in, but KC skelly basements is the main place I used it at (farming for xp, bonechips, and the occasional turnkey + other rare spawns nearby).
Yeah, that's the issue. You need a camp with large numbers of undead that you can continually pull and throw into the bus. With Charasis, you waste far too much mana trying to DoT down a mob to maintain the 20 or so mobs you need to kill over a 24-28 minute respawn timer.

I can imagine Guk potentially working, near a no-living mob part of it. I can see KC basement as well. I am unfamiliar with Velious content, so I am unsure if there are high level undead only areas.

But I suppose there is another dimension, and that is namely that I wouldn't do this, personally, until Paralyzing at 49, as Roots before that is absolute trash. So, it seems to me that this is most appropriate for someone with the 3 minute root, where you can set yourself up to regenerate sufficient mana to make up for the numerous roots to maintain (given maintaining even 5 Paralyzing exclusively locks down over 33% of your potential mana gain, assuming approximately 50 mana in from Lich with uninterrupted 50 ticks), but by 49, you have Bloodgills and Nobles, two camps which I swear by. HHK XP modifier is just sickeningly, and I don't get what it is with Bloodgills, but I am getting around .75 to 1.5% experience a kill from 45 to 51 on those fuckers, and they have no more health than a spectre (1.5k). And by Charasis, I don't feel it is particularly efficient in any way but the way I describe above for handling the wings/rooms, due to the heavy and inconsistent mixing of living and non-living in addition to spellcasters (as you describe).