Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Large Rat

Default New (hopefully not obvious) enchanter questions

Hello,

I recently started playing and am currently a level 4 Erudite Enchanter named Catilyn. I have a few questions:

1. Should I have created a Dark Elf? I find the Dark Elves ugly, and I hate East Commons for leveling... it was always too crowded in EQ1 and I imagine it's the same now. I created an Erudite because I wanted to try leveling in Qeynos (and assumed Erudites would be better than Human Enchanters), and I figured Karanas would be good for charming. I'm worried though that I'm going to regret not having hide when I'm a higher level for charming... do you think it's worth starting over before I'm too high? Is there any way for a Dark Elf Enchanter to level in Qeynos?

2. I know that after level 8, we have to go to High Hold Keep to get our pets. If I remember correctly from EQ1, High Hold Pass was filled with hostile mobs that were like level 20 and it was really cramped... you basically couldn't get through without getting aggro. If I'm level 8, will Invis protect me from the mobs? Or am I too low that they'll see me anyway? I forget how that works.

3. Since I'm using a newbie weapon, it's impossible for me to do more damage than my pet, so he soaks up 50% of the exp. This has made leveling kind of slow. Is there a good work around for this, or is this just how it's going to be until I can actually start casting spells regularly.

Thanks for the help! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

1.) Erudite is a good choice, possible even better than a dark elf since they have more CHA. I am a Dark Elf but hide isn't a realiable way to break charm. Get yourself a Goblin Gazughi ring as soon as you can as that is by the far the best way to break charm as a chanter.

2.)Yes, you can invis through High Pass to get to High Keep.

3.)1-15 isn't easy as a chanter. It will be hard to efficiently out dps pet. I mostly grouped through those levels in the EC area. Someone else may be better help for this point, especially considering you are starting in a different area.

Hope that helps
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

1. Race for chanter is rather irrelevant. Hide is overvalued IMO. Later on but a goblin gazughi ring, same deal and doesn't pigeonhole you into a single race. High elf, erudite and dark elf are all solid choices. Pick whichever one you want to play as. Anyone can level in Qeynos it's just a matter of getting a bind and selling. You likely won't be able to sell, but once you get a few illusion spells you probably can just proceed with caution, con everything.

2. Yes you can illusion human and do fine in high keep. In Highpass just invis.

3. Group. Level 1-16 you want to group or get PLed. Soloing those levels as a chanter sucks.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

Enchanter from 1-12ish/16ish is very rough.

Qeynos is a great starting zone and you can normally find groups in Blackburrow that will allievate the issues your having with your pet.

Invisible works fine if you decide to make the run to HHK of your pet spell.

Eventually you will be able to purchase a Goblin Ring (clickie invis animals) which will instantly and more reliably break charm for you.

Alternatively I believe you can use memblur to ensure full exp on kills although I'm not entirely sure how this process work and would appreciate an answer from one of the veteran chanters that lurk these forums. I however, have not lamented the loss of hide and am having great fun with my gnome (now 22).

Find a partner, charm a rogue pet and let it go to town for you.

Enjoy
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catilyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I recently started playing and am currently a level 4 Erudite Enchanter named Catilyn. I have a few questions:

1. Should I have created a Dark Elf? I find the Dark Elves ugly, and I hate East Commons for leveling... it was always too crowded in EQ1 and I imagine it's the same now. I created an Erudite because I wanted to try leveling in Qeynos (and assumed Erudites would be better than Human Enchanters), and I figured Karanas would be good for charming. I'm worried though that I'm going to regret not having hide when I'm a higher level for charming... do you think it's worth starting over before I'm too high? Is there any way for a Dark Elf Enchanter to level in Qeynos?

2. I know that after level 8, we have to go to High Hold Keep to get our pets. If I remember correctly from EQ1, High Hold Pass was filled with hostile mobs that were like level 20 and it was really cramped... you basically couldn't get through without getting aggro. If I'm level 8, will Invis protect me from the mobs? Or am I too low that they'll see me anyway? I forget how that works.

3. Since I'm using a newbie weapon, it's impossible for me to do more damage than my pet, so he soaks up 50% of the exp. This has made leveling kind of slow. Is there a good work around for this, or is this just how it's going to be until I can actually start casting spells regularly.

Thanks for the help! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) I find dark elves overrated. Your experience may vary but hide only works maybe half of the time and so you'll find it often let's you down in a pinch (enemy is going to kill your pet). Use Taper Enchantment instead and stick with erudite.

2) Use invisibility and run there. It's relatively safe with invis on. Make sure to con everything and you should be alright. If you can't make it by something do an /ooc to see if someone will help you.

3) Forget about out-damaging your pet. It will never happen when you are using your starting dagger - even with a level 1 pet up. The easiest way would be to find someone and group with them. This will remove the xp penalty. If you can't find someone then suck it up and simply kill more enemies. I would "joust" with the enemies at low levels and let my pet tank (pet tanks, you move in for a swing between enemy attacks thereby allowing you to do some damage as well).

All of this is really only relevant until you get charm. After you get charm, take a peak at the many sources out there for charm soloing or effective grouping.

In terms of your levelling path (areas): Qeynos is the best area in the game if you don't have cash to twink your character with. Diseased pelts from wolves will get you spell cash early on, gnoll fangs for cheap xp and finally bandits and their sashes in the karanas.

Note: if you plan on heading to qeynos then stock up on tiny daggers; the closest merchant is in Erudin.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Kobold

1) Race doesn't really matter, other than making it difficult to get around in good race's cities and selling to vendors. BUT, Enchanters have illusion spells. You should already have the Human illusion spell at level 4. If you picked Agnostic as your religion, you shouldn't have any problems selling and banking in Qeynos, as long as you don't forget to put your illusion up. Also, being an evil race can be a pain because random NPCs will attack you on sight.

2) Same solution, Human illusion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Just don't run past any gobos. (The Enchanter vendor isn't near the gobos though).

3) You said you are leveling up in EC? Get a clarity! (/w all Porcoa and if i'm close, i'll hook you up) And you can nuke all day. Once you get your charm spell, start charming. Charm a dark blue mob, sick it on another DB mob. Once they are both around 20%, root the one your mob is fighting and call your pet back. Then taper enchantment your pet and nuke the both for full exp. There are other ways to do this that may be more efficient. (I'm an Ench noob tbh). Another thing in EC, you can charm a willowisp and if it's a high enough level it can clear then entire orc camp without taking any damage, as long as a lego isn't up.

Like I said, i'm kind of a noob myself. Passing along what I have found out/learned from other players so far.

Feel free to PM me on here or message me in game. I usually get online around 5-5:30 CST.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

DE racial is no big deal, the skill is capped at 50 so it's unreliable at best. not bad for AFKing though

when you're ready to break charm either use invis or purge it off with taper enchantment
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the advice, guys. Glad being an Erudite won't hurt me too much and that invis makes it possible to get spells!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Kobold

I wrote my post above thinking your had made a Dark Elf, if that clears up any confusion.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Large Rat

Yeah, I understood what you meant. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread