I shop at local type stores only 2 6.45%
I shop at whole foods or order my food online 4 12.90%
I dont eat food i only eat iron fucking rations 8 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Aldi is alright but Lidl is better.

Use a lot of ASDA home deliveries atm and they rock cos they upgrade you on anything from your order that was out of stock. Iirc Asda is owned by Walmart these days. Don’t know if that means anything.

Any Brits been to yankland or vice versa who can clarify if Asda and Walmart are interchangable?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aldi is alright but Lidl is better.

Use a lot of ASDA home deliveries atm and they rock cos they upgrade you on anything from your order that was out of stock. Iirc Asda is owned by Walmart these days. Don’t know if that means anything.

Any Brits been to yankland or vice versa who can clarify if Asda and Walmart are interchangable?
I'm murican and not brit but I traveled all over the US.

Walmart has more cheep stuff to chose from but eithers premium brand is likely exactly the same unless it's a made in murica thing.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds like Asda and Walmart are comparable. Is Walmart also full of humanatees on scooters?

What kind of supermarket products are made in America?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Better than nothing (coming soon)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like Asda and Walmart are comparable. Is Walmart also full of humanatees on scooters?

What kind of supermarket products are made in America?
myxudebruh Walmart sells everything. Even some pretty gud fishing equipment, firearms.

And epilators.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
myxudebruh Walmart sells everything. Even some pretty gud fishing equipment, firearms.

And epilators.
Yea, Asda is like that, I guess it really is Walmart (they took down all the ‘part of the Walmart family’ signs though as apparently it is a negative brand here).

They have their in store fashion department named ‘George’ so pro tip on what to name your kid if you don’t want to buy name labels ��. Lots have their own ‘Asda Cafe’ franchise in store too, but sometimes they will rent to other franchises. Bristol in ye olde times was the gateway to America* so of course has a MacDonalds instead of their own brand caf.

Surely the products you list are imported from all over? Is Walmart big on ‘Made in America’?

*if you were chained to the deck of a ship
Old 08-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Wallyworld has a ton of food and clothes labeled as such. They figured out a segment of their customer base really loves American flags on their cardboard boxes. Though they clearly play both sides and offer cheaper imports.

If I ever leave quarantine ill take pictures. I actually appreciate some of the Patriotism they place in a few products. I got like an exercise band and a pair of USA flats or something. Long ago before covid.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/wal...n-call/551413/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahe...ct-or-fiction/

I probably bought something for house maintenance like an USA red white and blue packaged air filter but I mostly lay around in my own rubbish drooling and not spending any money these days.
Last edited by magnetaress; 08-27-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Old 08-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Thank you for educating me.

Are the ‘made in America’ products actually all made in the states from US parts/ingredients or is it one of those scams where the final stage of ‘assembly’ (perhaps something as crass as affixing a logo) happens in America but really it is all just imported.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Thank you for educating me.

Are the ‘made in America’ products actually all made in the states from US parts/ingredients or is it one of those scams where the final stage of ‘assembly’ (perhaps something as crass as affixing a logo) happens in America but really it is all just imported.
I believe there's some honest efforts on the stuff that is labeled "made in America" and lible to that.

There's probably a few sneaky things, mostly foods that are hard to source from the states.

Walmart was still playing global world domination leading to dairy farms to close en mass so they could be bought at rock bottom price. My info is like 3 yrs out of date.

I'm sure they still ate monopolistic, anticompetitive or whatever the fancy phrase is.

Shop where n whatever u can afford..like if ur rich u can send someone to the Grove to personally hand pick ur apples and get ur staples air dropped from Amazon n whole foods.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
but really it is all just imported.

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim (like for example a product advertised as having "true American quality"), the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.
Closed Thread