Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Aviak

also this allows people to list up on every char they have, and any of their friends chars they have access to as well. a kind of abuse that wasn't possible with /list
Old 06-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by damus1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a kind of abuse that wasn't possible with /list
(And also isn't possible with any sort of randomized system ... whether it's pure random or "random to get on a short/fixed-length list".)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by damus1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also this allows people to list up on every char they have, and any of their friends chars they have access to as well. a kind of abuse that wasn't possible with /list
Ah I see now. You're one of those people who doesn't like it when lots of other people get pixels and you don't like how you have to wait in a long line to get your own.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah I see now. You're one of those people who doesn't like it when lots of other people get pixels and you don't like how you have to wait in a long line to get your own.
You completely missed the point. It's not 'lots of people' when the same 5 people have a dozen chars each on the list. If every real life person was limited to one char on the list it would be 10% as long.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:19 AM
Fire Giant

Jesus-tits you fine folks speculate and hand-wring like a gaggle of old ladies at a bingo hall.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:29 AM
Kobold

its gonna be a grats bladefrenzy on this
Old 06-13-2020, 10:13 AM
Fire Giant

May I suggest a TLP. I think you can just buy a potion instead.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

We've democratically decided dromo doesn't deserve any boots.

Ain't that a bitch.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

To be honest, the whole "player agreement" business has always seemed odd to me on p99.

I don't understand, in principle, how other players (allegedly) were able to agree to a binding rule for anyone other than themselves. Some of these agreements are from years ago on a different server. How can players make an agreement on blue five years ago that is binding on green? It just sounds suspect.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the role that these "player agreements" perform (and I mostly agree with them and appreciate that it helps the game run smoothly), I just don't exactly understand how they came to be, why they persist, or how to even potentially change them.

"Player agreements" in practice have always seemed more like "GM approved ideas" than some kind of democratically arrived at system to me. Its the most difficult thing to explain to someone imo when they ask about rules on these servers.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be honest, the whole "player agreement" business has always seemed odd to me on p99.

I don't understand, in principle, how other players (allegedly) were able to agree to a binding rule for anyone other than themselves. Some of these agreements are from years ago on a different server. How can players make an agreement on blue five years ago that is binding on green? It just sounds suspect.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the role that these "player agreements" perform (and I mostly agree with them and appreciate that it helps the game run smoothly), I just don't exactly understand how they came to be, why they persist, or how to even potentially change them.

"Player agreements" in practice have always seemed more like "GM approved ideas" than some kind of democratically arrived at system to me. Its the most difficult thing to explain to someone imo when they ask about rules on these servers.
First off, I don't know of any player agreements that have made it to Green, because every agreement I know of is in Kunark/Velious. This whole idea that any "player agreement" rules apply to (say) the OOT AC list is still speculative elf law [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I really don't think they're hard to explain, or at least not any harder than explaining anything else weird about a 20-year old game whose rules are enforced by volunteers.
  1. In the original ('99-'01) there were several mobs that required "turn-ins"
  2. Back then, there was very little competition for these mobs, both because players lacked knowledge about them, and because of other options (eg. virtually no one cared about shady/angry goblin on live, because they had Luclin loot a few months later)
    • Also, for Scout specifically, people used to have to bring a raid force, and this obviously cut down the number of turn-ins
  3. Here, everyone knows not just how they work but exactly when these mobs will spawn, resulting in a "clickfest"
  4. Everyone agrees clickfests suck, except autofire cheaters and people with insanely lucky internet connections
  5. The staff (being overworked volunteers) doesn't have time to show up every time these mobs spawn and enforce any system
  6. What they can do is let the players come up with a system and enforce that (and only show up in the far rarer cases of one player bucking the system everyone else agreed to)

Blue player agreements explained.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-13-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Closed Thread