Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These naming policy nazis are dumb. News flash, your random generated name aint kewl either, and its all subjective. "Oh this name hurts my eyes when i play my dwarf simulator, better tell the teacher"
^
Old 06-23-2020, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^
I know who your forum account mains, why waste posts on an alt account?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know who your forum account mains, why waste posts on an alt account?
Wot?

My old main forum account is banned.

Mistaken ID my dude.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 AM
Fire Giant

the real hard hitting question here is....why would anyone fight to save this name?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

I've prolly said it before, but the degree in which the GMs focused on names/naming policy highly depended on the specific GM that "ran" each server. For those who might not know, GMs all generally ran one or two servers. Because of this some servers were far more rigorous in the naming guidelines than others. I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.

As perpetual devil's advocate, though, it bugs me a bit that names are more often changed on the "squeaky wheel "philosophy than an actual user's wrongful derivation from the naming policy. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.
I'd say that's the understatement of the year. I played mainly on one server, but I played on a few others also, and I never, on any server, saw even a quarter of the flagrant name violations I see on Blue.

I wouldn't say I've lost any sleep over it either, but this is one area where our lack of paid GMs is clearly on display.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

my general feeling was that the first batch(or so) of servers released had a heightened concern about the naming policies, which I suspect had to do with the higher volume of characters who were truly RPing a given character, such as "Pockete" on green.

You'd find many players doing something similar to her back then.

I remember this one troll who was afraid of water who, after gorging himself on froglok tadpoles, nearly drowned. He required someone to blind (yes BLIND) him in order to cross open water . There was plenty of plenty of other people doing similar things.

I think the "newer servers" were both different in player base and in "GM base".
Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Perhaps a weekly job could be run against character_data.lastname, then emailed to guides to peruse as part of their volunteer work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or piped to an appropriate profanity API.

I could probably wire up a bash script to do this actually.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps a weekly job could be run against character_data.lastname, then emailed to guides to peruse as part of their volunteer work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or piped to an appropriate profanity API.

I could probably wire up a bash script to do this actually.
Awhile back someone mentioned that the staff fixes names when they are reported (via /petition), and a group of players went on a crusade to make the place more classic (something I'm sure you can identify with [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). Those players would look at every name in places like EC and /petition every violator they found. In short, they were a human version of your script.

Now the staff did fix the petitioned names ... but then that created a ton of drama, as people who'd had their (violating) name for a long time felt A) betrayed since they were allowed to have it that long, and B) unfairly targeted, since other violating names (that hadn't been petitioned) were still around.

This created some forum drama, and very likely a ton of in-game drama as well. So as much as I'd love for the staff to use a script and clean up names, I suspect the real cost of that operation isn't finding the names ... it's dealing with the fallout of fixing them.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread