Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by syztem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think this is diablo 2 where you can make up random class builds that dont work.
You must be that guy who doesnt believe in the zeal sorc
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Fire Giant

Paladins have flash of light and root to help keep the mobs away.

SK pets are useless until you get your level 49 one.

Knights lack a high level archery skill. So don't be surprised if they start missing once it stops going up. The dots take a bunch of mana too, so the downtime would suck unless you used the manaless snare gloves at level 45 .
Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Banned

anything is possible with enough platinum ;3
Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, after getting to 55 with a ranger and archery....I've decided to up things and try out my theorized shadow archer.

The idea is by using the pet + agro + a bow ....the shadow archer would be a kiting king! Even outdamaging and out-pacing a ranger in the soloing category!

It's a pretty obvious advantage when an SK is taking reds at 20 easily (or a sand giant at level 10).

The real question is how it maintains this advantage as it ages. Bow cap is 75 for each of them (ouch) ....but at least SK get a couple things that make up for it a little bit (AC drain and STR drain). I theorize it will be a strong soloer till mid 50's (but since they have fear, perhaps even after 50 against summoning mobs?).

Basically, with a decent bow and large enough mana pool...it seems viable.

The next issue is the holy archer....a paladin archer.

Now, this one I have a harder time with. Against undead, sure their nukes would help supplement damage (and they can root, which makes shooting and medding much more possible).

BUT, without the pet or dots or other DD spells....they just don't seem to match a shadow archers potential.

Perhaps if they were to focus very heavily on mana pool and act as a stronger supplemental healer in groups? They suffer from the same lack low skill as a shadow archer....so trying to rely solely on the bow seems more troublesome (especially into 30s-40s...unless they get a skydarkener, then they can hold out till 50's).

But, overall, it just doesn't seem like they have enough damage potential to really be that strong. The healing is nice....but is it enough to make up for the damage issues?

Anyhow....would be curious if anyone else has been focusing on archery as a knight? Shadow archer or holy archer? So far (20) my experience with a shadow archer with a decent bow is they are the strongest soloers in the game as long as they have room to move.....which is pretty interesting.
What exactly are you high on with all these garbage posts?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Till 20 it is. I was mowing through reds in oasis non stop with just a sow and my bow. No other class or twink can do that....not even a fungi tunic warrior or monk would be able to do that.
If you're going to aggro kite, which isn't fast xp mind you, a level 20 mage or necro pet will "mow" through reds a lot faster than a level 8 necro pet + bow.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're going to aggro kite, which isn't fast xp mind you, a level 20 mage or necro pet will "mow" through reds a lot faster than a level 8 necro pet + bow.
For a necro or mage to outdamage / outtaunt their pets....they need to do a LOT of casting. Necros have an easier time, but as the pets damage goes up....they still struggle a lot with keeping the agro.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
For a necro or mage to outdamage / outtaunt their pets....they need to do a LOT of casting. Necros have an easier time, but as the pets damage goes up....they still struggle a lot with keeping the agro.
...And that leads us to our next class build, the Necbowmancer!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I woulda if they could use bows!!!

Instead I did a necbrawlmancer a while ago!! Velium brawl stick + focusing on AC and dex = a necromancer that can out-tank its pet easily while dishing out decent melee damage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Necromancers vampiric embrace is WAY stronger than the SK version...and necromancers get a low level self damage shield.....so it really is pretty effective for non stop fighting.

Took it to level 50 and then it started to drop off as things began hitting too hard to tank as efficiently solo. Was one of the fastest characters to level to 50....could just plow through so much stuff non stop. I was holding the entire are above the window room in sol b from 40's up (it is like 13 or 14 spawns :P)
Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol
Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I woulda if they could use bows!!!

Instead I did a necbrawlmancer a while ago!! Velium brawl stick + focusing on AC and dex = a necromancer that can out-tank its pet easily while dishing out decent melee damage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Necromancers vampiric embrace is WAY stronger than the SK version...and necromancers get a low level self damage shield.....so it really is pretty effective for non stop fighting.

Took it to level 50 and then it started to drop off as things began hitting too hard to tank as efficiently solo. Was one of the fastest characters to level to 50....could just plow through so much stuff non stop. I was holding the entire are above the window room in sol b from 40's up (it is like 13 or 14 spawns :P)
Nah Sk vamp embrace is same spell and sk's get an upgrade to it at lvl 55