Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 AM
Planar Protector

The problem is opportunity cost. +DEX gear is usually shit otherwise unless top tier raid loot. No point keeping agro 10% better just to end up a paper tank.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is opportunity cost. +DEX gear is usually shit otherwise unless top tier raid loot. No point keeping agro 10% better just to end up a paper tank.
Makes sense to me.

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plenty of nice pre raid dex items in velious that also make you a beefier tank. Earlier post indicated several of these, but there are more.

OP, as I previously stated, search for war equipment by slot on the wiki, sort by dex, and see what other stats are out there with it and what you can afford/save for.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

I’d recommend taking posters who recommend not prioritizing dex with a grain of salt.

I did the *unthinkable* and created my warrior from the ground up prioritizing dexterity: dwarf with all starter stats dumped into dex. My gear is not great (0 raid drops so far) and my stamina buffs out to 225. A few upgrades will have me at or close to max. For dexterity a single Focus has me capped 255.

At lower levels stamina returns are minimal. Dexterity and ac in the absence of complete heal (or low enough level it’s not safe or efficient) are the most important stats. Dexterity is as potent at level one as it is at 60. After the last patch procs are less potent and white damage is the backbone of our threat potential, but we still function in an era where good, cheap weapons with aggro procs really on par (+/-) with their non proc counterparts. Those procs DO still matter. They are what will keep you above the monks and rogues who have backstab or superior weapons.

Procs are unpredictable. An absolute absence of them will drive you crazy ... but at lower levels cranking your unbuffed dex to 140 vs 100 or 180-190 at higher levels compared to 120 makes a huge difference. My experience having higher innate dex is very different than those with lower. Rolling a dual wield aggro proc setup gave me much higher total threat ... but more importantly it exponentially decreased my risk of going deep into an otherwise brief fight with a dry streak. One proc was almost always enough to lock down the fight and it’s rare that I didn’t (or still don’t) get one really early.

Our job is to tank. If you’re not the one taking damage, you aren’t tanking. Melee dps have ratios as good, ratios better, and special ability (stabs flying kicks) that we lack. With equal to or higher white damage threat potential, absent procs they can and will end up getting hit. White damage is the backbone base but procs cover and eclipse the gap.

High levels? My ac hasn’t suffered nor have my hp relative to my gear level. Raid vs group not once have I died due to not having enough. For me, the trade-off is absolutely favorable and well worth it and I’m now at the point that a few attainable upgrades will have me at 255 stamina while maintaining 255 single buffed dexterity.

My opinion isn’t main stream but prior to p99 I had almost a decade of main tanking cutting edge experience. Historically my experience is that the critically differentiating factors between a good tank and a great tank boiled down to aggro lock and, in later expansions high ac in the then infamous ac vs hp debate wars.

P99 ac mechanics aren’t the same as live expansions from PoP onward. Additionally the p99 loves to cheese-lock aggro with expendable clicks on engage. Depending on your outlook or play style you can cheese your way to success with clicks, but for day in day out warrior life (leveling, high level groups, and raid content not worth burning clicks) investing in dexterity pays off massively. Your groups will appreciate you more and you’ll have a lot less frustration.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

The final shaman buff is something like 60-70 dex and boon is another 100 dex. You will probably end up with a little bit on your gear, too, without even prioritizing it at all. Better to prioritze str when leveling up for much more reliable white aggro.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

I created a dex gimmick warrior. It was fun.

At high levels with dex+focus+boon you don't really need any +dex starting points nor gear.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Kobold

My halfling warrior alt has more stamina than I need now (219 unbuffed) and in group situations (and awkward solo situations) I often want more dex but never worry about stamina. In raid situations I'm obviously maxing both stats... I put my starting points into stamina.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Fullpint

not putting your starting points into dex is the casual move. If you're a long term player (and want to participate in the raid scene for like a year or more), put your starting points into dex, even for a race like halfling....
Last edited by Dillusional; 04-10-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The final shaman buff is something like 60-70 dex and boon is another 100 dex. You will probably end up with a little bit on your gear, too, without even prioritizing it at all. Better to prioritze str when leveling up for much more reliable white aggro.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the actual damage you do has nothing to do with agroe generated by swinging your sword.

you get your weapon damage + dmg bonus per swing for your primary hand and just the weapon damage worth of agroe for each swing with your secondary hand.

dmg bonus for primary hand is calculated as (level - 25) / 3 ...if you care
Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillusional [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My halfling warrior alt has more stamina than I need now (219 unbuffed) and in group situations (and awkward solo situations) I often want more dex but never worry about stamina. In raid situations I'm obviously maxing both stats... I put my starting points into stamina.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Fullpint

not putting your starting points into dex is the casual move. If you're a long term player, put your starting points into dex.....
Too late now. I think I did the typical 25 Sta thing as per the wiki when I created Krystaps. Low starting strength on an Iksar is probably my only regret so far. I am hoping that the AC bonus starts to pay dividends at 60. My AC unbuffed (in Thurg gear, aside from Crystal Chitin Gauntlets & Boots, and trooper scale bracer x1) is about 1100, so I think I'm doing alright there. . . though that is partly due to Glimmering Mithril Torque and Targishin's Bone Mask which I hope to replace soon.

It's just very difficult to hold aggro in group situations, especially when I group with guildie rogues with Ragebringer. I don't REALLY want to have to rely on tricks and traps (nets, &c) in order to keep aggro. Root works really well, but that is also a bit of a gimmick, imho.

My best hope is to just find a shaman to duo with until 60, really. That would be the dream, lol. I even picked up a couple of blood points to facilitate that in the near-future.

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN
Better to prioritze str when leveling up for much more reliable white aggro.[/IMG]
Your ignorance is showing.

-Str begets higher attack thus more favorable DI spread on your attacks.
-as you climb in levels str raises your max hit
-you carry more

That’s it.

“White aggro” is not affected. A missed swing generates identical threat to a hit. A low hit generates as much threat as a max hit. White aggro is constant and based off of weapon potential damage, damage bonus, and your relative attack speed.

Ways to improve your white damage threat are limited to:
-haste (more is better)
-weapon ratio
-weapon speed (factors in for frequency of damage bonus application)
-leveling up for higher DW and DA frequency
-dinging level 60 for main hand triple attack

Strength has no effect on your threat generation. DPS? Of course.

This is really basic shit that anyone proffering up advice should know.

Really basic shit.

Ya basic?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread