Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whether I roll up a Gnome or High Elf or Human, they're going to be battling fire beetles, collecting gnoll fangs, and avoiding Varsoon. Sometimes I even find myself camping Pyzjn, even though I don't really want a GBS.

Qeynos and the Karanas evoke too much nostalgia for my original character: an Erudite Wizard that found great relief in Qeynos and beyond after a few levels in Tox. And of course I can still remember making that first trip to the Freeport neighborhood only to die horribly in Befallen before moving on to Oasis.
My first EQ experience was watching my buddy camp Pzyzjn on his Tom Selleck looking human mage watching for hours in hope of it. The first one he got was huge cause for celebration .. Thus started the lust for EQ Pixels!.. lol
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

On P99 I would probably definitely have to say it's Oasis. The pace of the hunting is fantastic, be it crocs or orcs, and the balanced population makes it great for easy grouping during peak hours and also great for soloing once things calm down. There's always a wide range of mob types to kill within your level range to keep things interesting, and the challenge of going after yellow or even red cons is more inviting than most zones I feel.

It's a zone that can be perfectly safe if you have your wits about you but will bite quickly if you're caught napping. I love the lingering danger of the occasional wandering high level mobs.

I like that for the most part you have plenty of room to define your own camp, and it's usually pretty easy to pop in and jump straight into some action. It's also great how common it is for higher level folks to roll through with buffs or saving groups from the giants.

The merchants and the proximity to both portals and EC are also of course nice perks.
Last edited by toddfx; 12-14-2018 at 08:46 PM..
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Large Bat

gfay for me, its where almost all my characters started or went to grind those first levels. that music in kelethin is the best. I often just sit there and let the music play while i read forums or whatever when im bored.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Sarnak

Warrens for me. Can lvl from like 5 to 20s there. Ton of mobs. Lot of roamers so if you aren’t geared we’ll it poses difficulty. Some names and well Muglwump!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Sarnak

Veeshan's Peak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccriddles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
gfay for me, its where almost all my characters started or went to grind those first levels. that music in kelethin is the best. I often just sit there and let the music play while i read forums or whatever when im bored.
Try setting your alarm clock to Kelethin. Honestly made waking up easier in the morning lol. Hard to be mad waking up to that score.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineubis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Virtually every single toon I have ever rolled (with the exception of Iksar) over the years has "gone through puberty" (levels ~10-20) in North Ro/Oasis. That desert will always have a special place in my heart. The sand, the music, the dervs. <3
I loved hunting in East Freeport gates and then setting out into North Ro. I faintly remember there always being a lot of people around the wizard platform near the tunnel. Once and awhile you would hear a clicking scarab or madman grunting to himself wandering by. I also spend an unbelievable amount of time at Derv2 camp.

In the oasis I feel I always did crocs rather than orc highway for some reason. There was always people training specters to a zoneline too so you always had to be mindful. I feel like that doesn't happen to much on P99.lol

Good stuff

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 12-15-2018, 01:44 AM
Kobold

Kelethin and Gfay for maximum nostalgia.
When my slowass computer would be entering the game, i would always hear the noise of people sitting/standing or interacting with the Kelethin lift before the screen actually came on. Those noises send me straight back to 99 and my first few days of running back and forth between Kelethin and Orc Hill in excitement/terror.

It was my first interaction with people online in a 3D environment that wasn't a shooter, characters dashing this way and that across the Kelethin bridges, on some task or other.

Then Crushbone was next level immersion. Hearing about the perils of Dvinn and Crush from other players well before actually seeing them in person, then looking up to see movement and spell effects through the window of Crush's tower, and wondering who those gods of Everquest were that were fighting in there.

That same feeling followed me everywhere around Norrath. Listening to friends camping Ancient Croc or grouping at Exe, seeing spell effects and fighting on Spectre island in Oasis, the first time i saw a necro actually killing town guards in Freeport.
Just witnessing the unknown made me want to keep logging on and seeing more of Norrath. Back then, i was happy just wandering around, even if i wasn't actually progressing.

EQ merges content across levels incredibly. Being a low level character witnessing the antics of higher level characters made for great immersion and drove me to keep playing.

Nostalgia aside, i'd have to jump on the HS bandwagon.
One of the best balanced zones in the game. Challenging for any group makeup. The thrill of solo/duoing/trioing in there is unmatched.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Annihilator [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ merges content across levels incredibly. Being a low level character witnessing the antics of higher level characters made for great immersion and drove me to keep playing.
Feel this 100%

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Kobold

Steamfont mountains