Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Kobold

Default P1999 and Optimus

Hi,

I've searched the forum (and most of the internet) and can't seem to find a solution to this.

I bought a new Alienware M15 laptop which unbeknownst to me, has Optimus enabled for switching between the Intel GPU and the dedicated Nvidia GPU.

Unfortunately, even when setting the preferred graphics processor to the Nvidia one in the control panel, the game runs poorly. There's no way it's running off the Nvidia GPU (low FPS, even in a ~1024x768 window).

Has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it, or does this laptop have to be sent back?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

I've had no good luck with P99 on my Optimus laptop (it's very old now). If I tried to force it to run on the Nvidia GPU it rendered everything in a super wonky fashion. I just force it to run on the integrated GPU, and it runs fine. You don't *need* a dedicated GPU to run P99, but if your intention was only for this laptop to play EQ, then you may want to return it.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 02-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

I've got it working ... on Linux. All I can say on Windows is "update your drivers and play with the settings" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Orc

I have a potential fix for you, but I would highly suggest getting help with this if you are not comfortable with uninstalling and reinstalling system drivers as well as working with your system BIOS. While this fix won't break your system, these steps can be tricky if you are not familiar with doing so.

If you want to proceed, check out the following guide: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hardw...l/td-p/4363279

Though it is written for an AutoCad user, it should walk you through the process of replacing your Optimus driver with a standard, "game ready" nVidia driver.

Your BIOS for an Alienware will likely be different than the one mentioned, so it will be up to you to find where the option to adjust Optimus settings is (there may be another guide for your specific laptop on this somewhere).

Once you have the standard nVidia driver installed you should be able to play without issue.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 AM
Kobold

Thanks for the input guys. I did check my BIOS and couldn't find any setting to disable Optimus or specifically use the dedicated GPU. For a gaming laptop the BIOS was surprisingly sparse of options.

It does run on the iGPU but not well enough to justify the price tag. Looks like I'll be sending it back. Hopefully this thread will be of use to those who are in the market for a laptop that they'd like to play P1999 on.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Aviak

My Dell did the same thing, if I don't use HD I put to another monitor. I have to enforce everything to Nvidia and if I use the laptop monitor it's only Intel. I'm not sure wtf these manufacturers and driver dealers are thinking. I spent money on the Nvidia. Who the shit would ever want Intel for gpu.

Good thing is I don't have to always use the creator gaming laptop.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Changing the global option for "preferred graphics processor" (rather than trying to apply it to specific programs) via the nvidia control panel works for me. Mine's a bit older and using a 980M but I use the standard nvidia drivers (not alienware's year old ones).

-Mcoy