Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Banned

I like your ideas Torven, but I don't now how palatable that kind of arrangement would be to a gaming company. The work for free thing could create unnecessaries liabilities etc that the lawyers who'd have to sign off on it might not like. It's possible there are some creative ways to merge the interest to preserve classic EQ with the Emu devs capable of doing it.

The agreement between p99 and Daybreak would probably be revealing as to what the interests were of Daybreak when the paperwork was signed. If there isn't a non-disclosure clause then viewing that document would give insights as to whether any version of what you are suggesting is a possibility. Also Nilbog and Rogean probably have some personal insights beyond the agreement. If they have any contacts at Daybreak that'd also be useful.

There are moments in time when the IP of old franchises, things like old musicians catalogs, become very inexpensive. How much has the Everquest brand's value changed over the last five years. What is the IP currently worth. If the brand is diminishing in value there might be an inflection point where Daybreak would be willing to part ways with it.

Many possibilities are out there to preserve Classic EQ. Innovations from those who love classic EQ might be the only way to create the legacy of classic EQ as a piece of historical art that you suggest.
Last edited by Seducio; 10-29-2023 at 12:20 AM..
Old 10-29-2023, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Daybreak has a duty and obligation to preserve the game so that it's not lost to time.
Daybreak/EG7 are a weird bunch -- this from their annual report in 2021:-

Quote:
Enad Global 7 AB has two business areas,
• game development – both in one’s own name and in consulting assignments. EG7 has 8 game development and live operation
studios in North America and Europe within the group: Antimatter Games, Piranha, Toadman Studios, Big Blue Bubble,
Dimensional Ink, Standing Stone, Rogue Planet and Darkpaw. Daybreak is an MMO developer that has developed 13 MMOs in
its 24-year history, including EverQuest, the first MMORPG game entirely in 3D. Daybreak currently maintains a portfolio of 8
live titles, which contributes a strong foundation of stable revenues and profitability for the group.

• services— which include consulting activities relating to development strategies and marketing of games through the subsidiary
Petrol Advertising Inc., as well as distribution of games as publishers – digitally and physically through the subsidiary Fireshine
Games (formerly Sold Out Sales & Marketing Ltd). With the acquisition of Innova during the second quarter of 2021, the live
portfolio was expanded with another 12 titles. The MMOs published by Innova include Lineage 2, Black Desert Online and Blade
& Soul. The business model was intended to create provides the conditions for close collaborations as well as stable cash flows.
The result is an independent game development company that develops games through its own investments, which thus does not
have to rely on external investments. Combining Daybreak, Innova, My Singing Monsters and MechWarrior Online, EG7 currently
has 22 live titles, making EG7 one of the largest live title publishers and operators in the world. The company’s strategy is to
continue to grow by developing games via its own independent studios, and to continue to work its way up the value chain by
developing games with its own funds and locating games on its own.
Daybreak totally developed EverQuest and those other titles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2023, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

My Singing Monsters is cool. The quarterling loves it.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-17-2023, 12:48 AM
Kobold

I was thinking about trying Quarm for a change of pace and indulging on the QoL improvements, but for some reason I assumed the spell balance changes to Wizards that have existed on live for years were there since PoP so would be on Quarm. Every vanilla era wizard nuke on live now has a better DPM ratio by 20-50% or more. This buff makes the class go from completely useless dead weight, to just about playable with a group that takes pity on them. Sadly Quarm wizard nukes are the same value as on p99. They will get many improvements at 60 with Luclin AAs though but I wasn't planning on getting that far.

Anyway the project seems popular and successful so props to all involved.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:55 AM
Banned

Infectious had asked me in a different thread that no longer exists to post Quarm population numbers one month after our last exchange about it. It's been a month since then. I can't quote the request because the thread is gone. Quarm still going strong it seems.

This was just pulled 5 minutes ago:

Live Statistics
Worldserver Name: The Project Quarm Server
Server Version: [U]
Server Status: UP
Players Online: 1580
Average Players: 1231
Max Players: 2147
Server Information
Registered Name: Project Quarm
Server Type: Legit, PvE
Class: Standard
Server Owner: Secrets
Description: 1-Box, Planes of Power EverQuest Progression Server based on the TAKP Codebase. Minor QOL.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:26 AM
Planar Protector

Last max players stat I saw was 2001 so popularity at some point increased ! Unless dual boxing is starting to settle in (suspicious number of intermittently afk ec mules).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-17-2023, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like your ideas Torven, but I don't now how palatable that kind of arrangement would be to a gaming company. The work for free thing could create unnecessaries liabilities etc that the lawyers who'd have to sign off on it might not like. It's possible there are some creative ways to merge the interest to preserve classic EQ with the Emu devs capable of doing it.

The agreement between p99 and Daybreak would probably be revealing as to what the interests were of Daybreak when the paperwork was signed. If there isn't a non-disclosure clause then viewing that document would give insights as to whether any version of what you are suggesting is a possibility. Also Nilbog and Rogean probably have some personal insights beyond the agreement. If they have any contacts at Daybreak that'd also be useful.

There are moments in time when the IP of old franchises, things like old musicians catalogs, become very inexpensive. How much has the Everquest brand's value changed over the last five years. What is the IP currently worth. If the brand is diminishing in value there might be an inflection point where Daybreak would be willing to part ways with it.

Many possibilities are out there to preserve Classic EQ. Innovations from those who love classic EQ might be the only way to create the legacy of classic EQ as a piece of historical art that you suggest.
It sold for 300 mil to EG7 or something like that a while back. Between all the TLPs and EQ1 and 2 i think they maybe broke even ish. So it depends on if they launch a new game.

The problem with modern MMOs such as wow and eq live is the bloat --- they are like huge many abilities multiple thousands of pages of inventory, most of the game world is obsolete, someone needs to come kicking out the door with design principles that don't obsolete and bloat into 50 thousand buttons and useless inventory spaces. (I know how, and the Elder Scrolls Online went 1/4 the way there) so its possible for a not dumb dumb. Butt that doesnt exist in this world so LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was thinking about trying Quarm for a change of pace and indulging on the QoL improvements, but for some reason I assumed the spell balance changes to Wizards that have existed on live for years were there since PoP so would be on Quarm. Every vanilla era wizard nuke on live now has a better DPM ratio by 20-50% or more. This buff makes the class go from completely useless dead weight, to just about playable with a group that takes pity on them. Sadly Quarm wizard nukes are the same value as on p99. They will get many improvements at 60 with Luclin AAs though but I wasn't planning on getting that far.

Anyway the project seems popular and successful so props to all involved.
wait till luclin to load up ur wizard

its not a bad class currently tho because people do not have end game velious kunark dps weapons so it actually is a good class if u play it right it can put out solid sustained dps from lvl 1-50 .59 dps to 17 dps without much effort or running oom, so it still has all the utilities, u can math it out by taking the number of ticks it takes to do dmg -- they basically can out dps wars and hybrids and they can do it while not face tanking the mobs so even better, i think rogues and monks, and rangers really only out dps them

mage pets and necros are in a class of their own its sick so are enchanters if they charm butt for leveling they all sacrifice xp if they use pets so its not like the least uberest class
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-17-2023 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-17-2023, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Wizard is a great raid class in Kunark (32k hp gating VP dragons) and Velious as well (Porlos).

If you aint fittin to raid tho doesn't bother. Trash otherwise.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

This server still active? Last I heard the guy running it was rampaging.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:14 PM
Aviak

Really? What happened there?

I've been considering playing on it, rolled a low level enc. Kind of want the j-boots drop in Najena at least. I have to admit, the one thing stopping me putting more time into this server is the admin is kind of throwing me off with their seemingly random changes and previous track record.
Closed Thread