Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 02:14 AM
Kobold

Default Mage soloing 55+

Hi, just wondering if I could get the input of people who have solo'd on their mages from 55 onwards on blue....

I am currently a mage on green and after hearing some distressing things about how mages cant really solo past 55 very well and have to rely on chain summoning, I was curious to hear what the gameplay is like at that point. Does the typical fight involve chain summoning once, or twice, or three times? I know this depends on the mob but in general what's the average fight like? Also, are the zones in which a mage can do this very restricted to just one or two places?

A video of a mage soloing in the 55+ range would be really helpful! I love my mage and want to keep her but being a significantly weakened class that relies on grouping in the end game (which really isn't my thing, at least as a mage - love it on my paladin tho) would just be too much.

Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

any class can solo to 60, its all a question of how much downtime you're willing to tolerate :P
Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

Very very easy for a mage to solo to 60. Would highly recommend a duo when possible though for best xp
Old 07-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Fire Giant

It's still completely doable to solo to 60 as a mage in Kunark (better in Velious), there are some decent spots around. As far is chaining goes, generally you'll only need to pet swap once per flight in my experience, until 57 earth, who can usually handle most exp mobs in one shot.

Hopefully they fix the aggro bug before Kunark so we can chain easily again!

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 07-27-2020, 08:42 PM
Kobold

Ohh really now. I assumed soloing 55+ based on what I heard from the Green message boards was that it involved summoning three or more pets per fight lol.

Why does it get better in velious?

Also, I assume all of these places a 55+ mage can solo is outdoors (so as to allow for running while the pet grabs aggro)?

Seems like it isn't as steep a drop off in solo power after all
Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's still completely doable to solo to 60 as a mage in Kunark (better in Velious), there are some decent spots around. As far is chaining goes, generally you'll only need to pet swap once per flight in my experience, until 57 earth, who can usually handle most exp mobs in one shot.

Hopefully they fix the aggro bug before Kunark so we can chain easily again!
I hear ya about the aggro bug. The mobs nearly kill me before the pet re-grabs aggro, I remember on blue it would only take 1, at most 2 rounds for a pet to swing to grab aggro back...
Old 07-27-2020, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Assuming this supposed aggro "bug" on green is fixed, chaining is just going to be the most efficient mana-wise. Just like a wizard or druid could single target kill mobs with nukes or root/nuke/dot/snare it's not going to be nearly as good as finding a place to quad.

Even if you aren't chaining you are going to probably want to kill your pet every fight so they don't steal your exp.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Banned

Devote some time w/o frequent AFKs and level in The Hole with the rest of the server.

The XP is just too good.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ohh really now. I assumed soloing 55+ based on what I heard from the Green message boards was that it involved summoning three or more pets per fight lol.

Why does it get better in velious?

Also, I assume all of these places a 55+ mage can solo is outdoors (so as to allow for running while the pet grabs aggro)?

Seems like it isn't as steep a drop off in solo power after all
Sometimes three pets happen, here's some spots that I used in Velious before Green came out and I switched mages. Velious opens up some more options and gives you more breathing room in Kunark.

Frost Giant Elites in Greater Divide, they roam behind the giant fort to the south, they take two Dyzils, or one buffed 57 earth pet to kill, approx 2.5-3% an hour.

Geonids, Suits, Faerie dragons in Wakening Lands, I've done these more on my wizard, but it's doable for mages too, expect 2-3% per hour here as well 57+.

Tower of Frozen Shadows in Iceclad, If you come at 55 there are some interesting exp opportunities here on the higher levels, it mostly greens out at 57 but it's good 'till then. The vampires are especially good experience and if you have a duo for Tsserina, could get some nice drops as well. This is more of an AFK camp due to the weird spawn timers, but it's an awesome place to explore and get some exp / loot 55+.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 07-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Fire Giant

Ha ha ha.... Soloing to 60 post 55 as a mage.....be ready to run through 160 malachite like nothing and also attend a very very tedious adventure.

It's not fun, id advise group. Once your 55, really 51+ in my honest opinion. You'll have more fun and it'll go faster. We're really a grouping class.
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Closed Thread