Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

Default How much nostalgia plays a role here

Just tried to get one of my buddies to play this, who has 0 experience with any MMOs besides WOW. I gave him a fair warning that the graphics are a little dated, and gameplay is also a little dated, but if he is willing to give it a shot, its one of the best games he'll ever play.

Unfortunately it just didnt work out for him haha. I think hes used to the smoothness(?) and handholding that other MMOs seem to offer. Honestly, trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic things in this game can be challenging if youve never done it. Scribing spells, casting spells, canceling casting spells, medding and so forth.

It makes me think though, how much nostalgia plays a role for me, and how that keeps me coming back, moreso than actual gameplay, storyline, or community. I am actually glad that he gave me his honest opinion, but at the same time, I do wonder if he would have stuck it out past level 2 if his opinion would have changed?

Nonetheless, you cant get me into any type of anime, its just not my thing. I see guys my age (mid 30s) talking about their favorite DBZ toons and I just cant even consider getting into it. So for my buddy, maybe thats the case with classic EQ.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:50 AM
Aviak

nostalgia is all that this game has.

new players don't exist, because this shit is hot fucking garbage.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 AM
Planar Protector

lol
Old 08-12-2020, 02:19 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nostalgia is all that this game has.

new players don't exist, because this shit is hot fucking garbage.
Nah. I play it a couple times a week because I find the game relaxing.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Sarnak

I think it has a few core elements that new mmos don't offer, I'll go into one:

One of the most genius thing the game has is placing high level mobs into newbie zones and naturally making a relationship with high level players that guide newbies, providing help with buffs, binds or advice. And also newbies getting resources high level people have demand for with bone chips or bat wings, crushbone belts etc.
It's a natural economic and social back and forth that's community building that I haven't seen in many other MMOs. It's usually grind all quest in zone a with static levels 1-10, then go to zone b 11-15 and once you're done with a zone you have no reason to come back ever.

On the other hand I definitely wouldn't recommend the game to people who haven't played it though or expect them to have the drive to keep playing it.
Last edited by peterpal; 08-12-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Nostalgia is a big factor for sure, but this game has a bunch of uniquely interesting mechanics and design elements, even if there's a long list of other things that desperately need to be updated. If you go in with a group of people who all collectively decide to actually experience the game, it can still be good. It's extremely difficult to find that and still won't be as great as it was back in the day, but a worthwhile experience nonetheless. I wish your friend had given it more of a chance!
Old 08-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nostalgia is a big factor for sure, but this game has a bunch of uniquely interesting mechanics and design elements, even if there's a long list of other things that desperately need to be updated. If you go in with a group of people who all collectively decide to actually experience the game, it can still be good. It's extremely difficult to find that and still won't be as great as it was back in the day, but a worthwhile experience nonetheless. I wish your friend had given it more of a chance!
Ditto. I found myself trying to not get offended because he was talking so much crap on the game. To me classic EQ has a really special place in my mind, and as much as I hate to admit it, the game has shaped who I am in real life.

I do however realize that the game certainly has its quirks and is highly unpolished. Back in 1999 there weren’t any other MMOs on the market, so people had to trudge through the bad game design elements of Everquest to see what was on the other side.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Aviak

I started on Blue having never played EQ before. My first MMO was EQ2. I'm slowly trying to talk a friend who's also never played into trying it.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

I Just got this ad on FB and it sums up P99 lol

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread