Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Default Questing in Everquest, Qeynos newbie friendly guide (long post)

KWEE KWAY KAY KEY nos, putting the quest back in Everquest

Seen a lot of new posts here and on the reddits about starting areas and how to make plat early on, figured I’d whip out a little guide on how great Qeynos is for new players for both monetary and experience gains. I’ve done the quest routes listed below on 6 or so characters and can confirm you can easily reach the 20’s and have upwards of 1k plat generated in not too much time.

Basic assumptions in this guide is that you’re a new player, and most likely playing a class that isn’t super gear dependent. Most of this is super easy for the casters, less so for the melee.

**Very important caveat, you will destroy your faction standing with the Bloodsabers (evil guild for Bertoxxulus worshippers in the Qeynos Catacombs)**

Quote:
Part 1: Rabid Wolves (lv4+)

At any given time in the Qeynos Hills zone you’ll find 2 Rabid Wolf up, one is level 3 and the other level 5. These used to have specific spawn points and patrolled on a very specific path but that was changed with the Karana’s plague event update.

Noteworthy: Both can proc the rabies which hits you with a small amount of direct damage and a very lengthy -1hp/tick debuff, thankfully when you turn in the quest you’ll get cure diseased cast upon you.

You’ll loot from them Diseased Wolf Pelts which you can either farm them until your inventory is full or turn them in one at a time to get that rabies cure.

Turn these at the Priest of Life Space Ship in North Qeynos to Priestess Caulria, she’ll cast cure disease on you, and award you as shown below.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is great experience until level 8 or 9 when you’ll move onto the next step.
Quote:
Part 2: Rabid Grizzly (lv8+)

Staying in Qeynos Hills you’ll find a single Rabid Grizzly, just like with the wolves its spawn location and pathing has changed, it used to spawn on a hill outside of Blackburrow.

Noteworthy: This mob is an undercon (hits for around 25 per attack and procs rabies), meaning it is a lot tougher than other mobs in the same level range. If you’re a pet class this won’t really be a problem but if something else you might want to wait until level 9 or 10 before tackling this beasty.

You’ll loot a Putrid Bear Hide for the quest and occasionally Grizzly Bear Skin which can sell for 20-40pp to other players.

Same as above you bring these to Priestess Caulria, you’ll get more experience, coin, and faction, along with a copy of Endure Disease which you can vendor for even more coin.

I typically stop doing the grizzly quest at lv14 and move onto step 3 but I’ve seen folks do this in the 20’s (though you really should let lowbies do this quest at that point). Note that in gathering pics for this guide upon turning in 1 wolf and grizzly pet my exp bar jumped a bit over 1% at level 31.
Quote:
Step 3: Bandits!

In West, North, and East Karana you’ll find camps of bandits (North K’s are actually called “A Raider” at #14). Typically 5-6 to a camp, a mixture of wizards and “warrior” mobs that backstab (wiki calls them warriors) with a level range of 9-12. Their packed in close enough to where you’ll want to find a way to single pull them, via lull, harmony, sneak pulling, etc..

Aside from these being decent exp till lv18-19 and offering some good faction hits upon death:

They drop our next quest item Bandit Sashes, these can be handed in to Chesgard Sydwen

Located at the paladin guild in South Qeynos for faction, coin, exp, and a bronze weapon (value varies from 1-6pp).

I typically load up every available inventory slot with sashes whilst I’m out at the bandit camps, great exp and coin that’ll get you into the 20’s. I can’t say exactly how long the exp is good for but I met a rogue who was still doing sashes in his 40’s for the plat and exp gain, the one sash I turned in for the guide pictures gave me 1% exp at level 31 so it’s possible.
At this point you'll be lv20+ and have upwards of 1000 plat saved up, not counting spell costs, be hated by the evil qeynos guilds, be almost Ally faction with all the good factions in the Karana's and have no trouble safely traveling through Highpass.

**Temporary Step, whenever the Karana’s Plague Event ends so shall this (I think?)**

Quote:
Step 4: Bread Shipment

This one takes a bit of travelling and being able to Bind Affinity yourself next to one of the NPC’s and being able to SoW/gate will drastically improve the efficiency.

The quest dialog and wiki pages are a bit borked (neither NPC has a wiki page) but if go to South Karana and visit Jarlen Meadowgreen you can do the Bread Shipment quest, though it’s not the same turn in npc that the wiki lists.

There is no [quest trigger] in his dialog but if you mention Bread he will respond.

Hand him 2gp and off you go to North Karan with your Bag of Bread Loaves.

In lieu of what the wiki says, take the bag to Inkeep James in North Karana, he’ll have no [quest trigger] dialog about the bread quest but he will offer a muffin quest which is another option if you know a baker.

Turn in for a range of coin reward and faction, note this will have negative hits to the rogue guild in Qeynos.

Noteworthy: If you can, bind at Jarlen in South Karana as sometimes Griffons and Hillgiants will path right over Inkeep James, and no one wants to be stuck in a death loop.

This should easily be viable from 20-24 or even 29, I’ll be testing this shortly on my mage but for the sake of the guide after the turn in I was 2% further into lv31.
Alternatively ignore everything on this guide and just group and make friends cause it’s an MMO not a single player game.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

sorry for the dark pics, was night time in game and didn't adjust my gamma accordingly.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Fire Giant

Excellent guide, although I would also add a bit about the Gnoll Fangs quest cause the exp for that is nuts.

I had never heard of the bread loaves quest but will definitely be giving it a try on my 20 druid, should be able to run it doubly fast as he can bind in SK and port to NK.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had never heard of the bread loaves quest but will definitely be giving it a try on my 20 druid, should be able to run it doubly fast as he can bind in SK and port to NK.
Bread loaves quest worth 5% xp per turn-in on a wood elf druid at L20, arguably not worth doing even being able to gate to Jarlen and port to NK druid ring :\
Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bread loaves quest worth 5% xp per turn-in on a wood elf druid at L20, arguably not worth doing even being able to gate to Jarlen and port to NK druid ring :\
worth doing must be highly subjective cause that sounds good to me, I don't recall how long it took but I seem to remember on my mage it took like 6-8min per run (with gate and jboots).

The bard diet as an example is 1 mob every 7min, which I think is a blue mob yea? Blues are 1-2.5% at most.

I'll report back later but I plan on doing 24-29 with this quest.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
worth doing must be highly subjective cause that sounds good to me, I don't recall how long it took but I seem to remember on my mage it took like 6-8min per run (with gate and jboots).

The bard diet as an example is 1 mob every 7min, which I think is a blue mob yea? Blues are 1-2.5% at most.

I'll report back later but I plan on doing 24-29 with this quest.
Yea that's why I said arguably [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I can charm kill 2 mobs for full exp (probably 4-5%) in less time than it takes to run that quest, so the exp gain from fighting is similar to if not better than running the quest, but fighting mobs is also more engaging for me than mindlessly running back and forth for hours on end. The bread quest is certainly an option though.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Large Rat

Great... Bertoxxulous Necro here. Great guide though!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

too late to edit and fix typos yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaslip [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great... Bertoxxulous Necro here. Great guide though!
I did this way back on my Human Necro, Bert worshiper as well, my bad ><

Quote:
Gnoll Fangs
I always stay away from those, BB is usually crowded and the exp gain was nerfed hard. Also the wolf/bear pelts are 100% drop rate so no worries for rng.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Banned

Good guide. I discovered this myself while leveling Borgnach (maybe 6th character to take up past 20s). Qeynos, with all its quests and integrated content, has the feel I always wanted out of EQ (namely a focus on rewarding quests). I had a blast carousing this area. Made me wish we could go back in time and give McQuaid and the others another couple years + $200K to make the rest of the world so fleshed out!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

I wish the edit feature didn't poof after 5min, was going to add a map for the last part as the zone pages on the wiki don't even show where these npc's are:

Inkeep James and Jarlen Meadowgreen are both at the #4 locations on the map(s), in North Karana in a small building and the South Karana Centaur camp respectively: