Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

Default Levitate stacking with Levitate

Levitate (cast on me by druid) is stacking with Levitate (cast on self by clicking Q cloak). Screenshot attached.

-Mcoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EQ000474.jpg (90.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Aviak

There are several spells issues on this server. In order to get Levi to work (on this server and any emulated server) the spell Levi has to be a different spell all together. Yes, it has the same name but one requires a bat wing the other doesnt. Now, I agree, levi and levi, and it should override the most recently casted Levi over the previous but it doesn't. I also remember on live that if you casted a buff (or debuff re landed) that the spell wouldnt refresh and attempt to move to highest available spell slot either, rather it would just refresh the time on the buff currently on you. On here it actually shows in your logs that your buff fades and starts a fresh buff like it wasn't on you to begin with. Like the emote for SoW fades and refreshes when you get a new sow casted on you. I dont know why it does that, but its been that way since Ive joined this server. I played on live from 2000 to 2011..always felt out of place for spells to fade and move buff slots when you were only refreshing buffs...since this never happened on live, I cant find proof that spells shouldnt move when you are refreshing buffs currently on you.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I cant find proof that spells shouldnt move when you are refreshing buffs currently on you.
I can search through mcoy's logs easy enough to find proof of this.

However, with that being said, the spell stacking code seems like a HUGE headache. So many weird exceptions, I don't envy the dev's doing work on it. They also sometimes need to account for timeline changes... I can see why it's hard to get right.

I seem to recall there was a patch note somewhere out of era where you "could no longer have 2 levitate spells on at once". So this double levitate could be classic.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can search through mcoy's logs easy enough to find proof of this.

However, with that being said, the spell stacking code seems like a HUGE headache. So many weird exceptions, I don't envy the dev's doing work on it. They also sometimes need to account for timeline changes... I can see why it's hard to get right.

I seem to recall there was a patch note somewhere out of era where you "could no longer have 2 levitate spells on at once". So this double levitate could be classic.
Mostly to why I believe would be hard to find was because from little on up (the year 2000) I always remembered buffs never moving as long as the buff didnt actually fade, get dispelled or get replaced with an upgraded verison of the same line (IE Skin like wood to Skin like steel). A Fade off and back on again message shouldnt appear, only that the spell landed message should (while the spell remained in the same spell buff slot). I always felt it was the biggest error on this server. Since this wasnt a thing on live, its hard to show proof that it was "fixed" since it wasn't ever " broken" or changed at any point on live. I dont even know where Id start to look to find proof of this other than out of memory. I played live for many years and always stacked buffs in certain ways. Id keep self buffs at the top, cleric next, shaman next, and ATK / Pally buffs at end. As other buffs would fade as group members moved on certain buffs would fade (shaman) while ranger buffs stayed in their normal last few slots even after a rebuff session.

I also played on PVP (2000-06) and kept the first 2 to 4 slots filled with junk buffs then the good buffs came in after clicked off the junk non stat buffs (AoN mostly) to allow for dispells to strip any pvp debuffs.

Again this is from memory, nothing else explains why i would have stacked buffs this way and after getting buffed up why i would put clicks back into bags if I had to drag them out every 20 to 30 mins for every rebuff.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Large Rat

Yes these stack, but keep in mind these are not identical Levitate buffs. The player-cast Levitate spell only works outdoors. By feature, or by bug, the Pegasus Cloak allows indoor Levitation. And before anyone suggest the Cloak levitate should be considered a "better" spell and overwrite the outdoor only Levitate, I think the duration from the cloak is different (shorter) as well, so it may not be quite that simple. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

I recall reading that you could stack these two in such a way that when zoning into say The Hole it would only strip the top one and leave you levitating for the duration of the bottom's believe these were comments from 2000-2001. Not much functional use here that I've found since discovering they stacked a few years back sadly.