Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-27-2022, 01:51 PM
Lune Lune is offline
Planar Protector

Lune's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually come to think of it the size of the moon in the sky varies a LOT based on it's phase and it's proximity to the horizon.
Fun fact, the moon doesn't change size at all when it's on the horizon, that's the visual-spatial associational areas in your brain literally magnifying it in post-production for some god damned unknown reason.

Next time, hold your thumb up to a moon low on the horizon that looks large. Then hold your thumb up to a normal moon. You'll find they are pretty much the exact same size.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-27-2022, 01:52 PM
Lune Lune is offline
Planar Protector

Lune's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, and an estimated 100 billion planets. And 200 billion trillion stars in the Universe. It's fuckin bananas to try to wrap your brain around. I don't want to say it's coincidence that the angular size of the sun and moon are the same, because that word doesn't do it justice. And it's not entirely true.

Since both the earth and moon are on orbital paths, the apparent size of the sun and moon varies, which is why you get varying degrees of eclipse's (partial, total, and annular)

I went to Wyoming with a bunch of photography nerds for the 2017 total eclipse that pathed across America. Here's some photos they took.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]


Every taken hallucinogens and stared up at a cloudless, moonless night sky without any noise pollution? Horrrry shit. Probably the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had.

Still blows my mind that they are so similar it takes a telescope to truly observe the difference. I haven't mixed hallucinogens with a dark night sky in a low light-pollution area yet. On my bucket list for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-27-2022, 02:11 PM
Ooloo Ooloo is offline
Planar Protector

Ooloo's Avatar

Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fun fact, the moon doesn't change size at all when it's on the horizon, that's the visual-spatial associational areas in your brain literally magnifying it in post-production for some god damned unknown reason.

Next time, hold your thumb up to a moon low on the horizon that looks large. Then hold your thumb up to a normal moon. You'll find they are pretty much the exact same size.
I'm not sure that's true, although our brain certainly does a lot of post-processing automatically. However the light from the moon or the sun is being bent by the additional atmosphere it has to pass through to reach you that vantage point. This is also why sunsets look red. However I was wrong to say this would only apply to the moon, it obviously also applies to the apparent disc of the sun.

Still, the moon and sun are different sizes in the sky, just very close. There are undoubtedly other planetary systems in the universe where this is the case, so while it may seem a miraculous coincidence to us, it's almost certainly common. We are handicapped by only having access (outside of telescopes) to our own solar system when it comes to determinig the rarity of things and events in the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-27-2022, 03:15 PM
Evia Evia is offline
Planar Protector

Evia's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now, I don't believe some bearded old man is up in the clouds governing our fates, and I don't believe he sent Jesus to Israel to save only a small fraction of humanity.
Small fraction of humanity? He was sent to save us all and showed us the way back home. He did this in how he lived and loved everyone, even those who murdered him. His life he lived and death he faced was our lesson. To show us how to live and how to not fear death. He was sent here for all of us, Not just a small niche group.

Sadly organized religion have pimped Jesus' name out and given him a bad name. He loves you and everyone else here more than words can even begin to explain.

Enjoyed that wall of text though, Lune. Thanks for sharing! NDE are pretty fascinating to read about.
__________________
P99 Blue Server
(60 Wood Elf Assassin) Kellian Cove
(51 Barbarian Mystic) Parra Doxx
(39 Iksar Shadow Knight) Evaline Ladeda
(36 Iksar Monk) Evia Boti
(36 Half Elf Ranger) Ryler Everglow
(22 High Elf Enchanter) Kelarian
Last edited by Evia; 06-27-2022 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-27-2022, 04:15 PM
Lune Lune is offline
Planar Protector

Lune's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Small fraction of humanity? He was sent to save us all and showed us the way back home. He did this in how he lived and loved everyone, even those who murdered him. His life he lived and death he faced was our lesson. To show us how to live and how to not fear death. He was sent here for all of us, Not just a small niche group.
Agree to disagree on that point buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly organized religion have pimped Jesus' name out and given him a bad name. He loves you and everyone else here more than words can even begin to explain.

Enjoyed that wall of text though, Lune. Thanks for sharing! NDE are pretty fascinating to read about.
Truth. Organized religion in the US could have learned a lot from Jefferson and his bible. IMO the definitive text on Christ because it omits pretty much everything that wasn't the words, teachings, and actions of Christ himself.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 PM
starkind starkind is offline
Banned


Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 7,663
Default

Yep dying.

And I couldn't go through with it for a quick death. So it's slow and agonizing.

Dying for an honorable cause is probably the most noblest and meaningful use of our pitiful lives.

We are born to die. Doubt I will ever see Valhalla.

G-d bless.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-27-2022, 07:27 PM
peterpal peterpal is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 178
Default life

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-27-2022, 11:14 PM
Mblake1981 Mblake1981 is offline
Planar Protector

Mblake1981's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,519
Default

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:07 AM
Lampolo Lampolo is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree to disagree on that point buddy.
There's nothing to disagree about. You are wrong and he is right according to the Bible which would be the only reasonable reference on the subject. Where did you learn that Jesus only came to save some?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:33 AM
Reiwa Reiwa is offline
Planar Protector

Reiwa's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 4,218
Default calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where did you learn that Jesus only came to save some?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik View Post
Thanks Otrompa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.