Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Sarnak

Default Better 3rd piece for Pal+Sham trio: Monk or Necro

Hello everyone!

Backstory: I spent a fair amount of time duo'ing my monk with my buddy's Shaman. Monk + Shaman has been a great duo. However, we have a 3rd RL buddy joining us that is leveling up a Paladin-- slowly, but surely he is catching up. (Had his heart *absolutely set* on a Pally for whatever reason)

While our 3rd buddy is leveling up his Pally, I've been leveling up my necro alt and having a great time learning how to function in groups (my main back in Live was a necro, though I hardly grouped and was a clueless teenager).

Question:
Now that my necro is catching up in level to our monk/sham, I wondered if I should consider using the Necro as the 3rd piece to this trio? Or, do you think my Monk is a better option to team-up with a Shaman and Paladin?

I am always the puller as Monk (of course) and would probably have to do so as the Necro. I'm very used to FD pulling and the necro has extra utility (snare + FD for instance to split grips), though he is obviously much punier when it comes to taking hits.

Any and all insight is welcome. PS - talking our buddy out of playing a Paladin seems off the table (hah, figured I'd get that out of the way). Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue is the real winner choice for Pal + Shm
Hehe not going to re-roll but thank you! Either Monk or Nec for this trio. It's taking our Pally buddy long-enough to catch up
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Sarnak

Depends your intent. If just for leveling/fun then either monk or necro both work just fine, play the one you enjoy more. If you're looking to farm higher end group content later on and want easier time splitting pulls and such, monks the easy answer.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Monk all the way imo. Necro really shines solo and some stuff (long efficient dots, undead charm) lose quite a bit of their appeal in a group setting.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Monk would be great no doubt but a Necro added to that duo would be much more interesting.... I vote Necro!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Sarnak

A monk would add: more DPS to your group in general, and great pulling ability (sneak, throwing stars and of course FD).
A necro would add: DPS(pet, dots, nukes), crowd control (screaming terror and roots), and backup-backup healing.

Monks are a very fun class, and a well geared monk should outdamage a necromancer. But if you are working with a shaman/paladin duo, you probably are dealing with long-ish fights anyway.. This would maximize the necromancer's damage to mana utility because more dots would sit on a mob for longer.

Personally I think adding a necromancer would mean your party would be able to do more things, particularly in dungeons. The paladin, with lull, can be a powerful puller. Monks are good at feign splitting but it takes a lot of skill, patience and work.

Either way you are in for some fun.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

Awesome input guys! I have some solid stuff to weigh-out here. Knottyboy, I really appreciate your detailed breakdown; Naethyn, I've also read that about the Nec/Sham duo on the forums as well. Interesting!

Side question - for times when the Shaman cannot play, is it safe to assume the Nec would make a better partner with the Paladin? (ie Nec + Pal > Mnk + Pal)

We plan to mainly play as a trio so this isn't as big of a factor. I love all of the utility that the Nec offers (I believe them to be pretty underrated in group settings when played properly) but fear that we might really be lacking any type of melee punch (pun intended) with the Paladin as our only melee + non-caster.

We are still waiting for the Pally to catch up level-wise , this means I have a little bit of time to deliberate. Any additional input is welcomed and appreciated!

PS – not sure if race is a factor but will mention:

Shaman = Iksar
Paladin = Dwarf
My Monk/Nec = both Iksar
Old 05-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Will eternally be jealous of these people who have static leveling groups with friends.

My brothers / friends either don't have interest or can't manage to even play skyrim casually [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I vote necro , one of the most underrated classes in the game. Focus on back up heals and keeping everyone's mana bar topped off and being dedicated CC / snare. Don't bother using dots besides darkness unless your dps is actually that low (possible) or if you're fighting a named. Don't forget to fd off that dot aggro !
And at the higher end, rogue pet > all of in a group setting
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will eternally be jealous of these people who have static leveling groups with friends.

My brothers / friends either don't have interest or can't manage to even play skyrim casually [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I vote necro , one of the most underrated classes in the game. Focus on back up heals and keeping everyone's mana bar topped off and being dedicated CC / snare. Don't bother using dots besides darkness unless your dps is actually that low (possible) or if you're fighting a named. Don't forget to fd off that dot aggro !
And at the higher end, rogue pet > all of in a group setting
I, too, wish I had friends.

I concur with all of the people saying Necro + Shaman > Monk + Shaman.

Since you have the Paladin now, make him pull... and work on getting his pre-epic. It's pretty easy for how strong it is, and will boost his DPS by a ton.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Monk necro Shammy

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Closed Thread