Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 04:19 PM
Large Bat

Default eqgame.exe system error DSETUP.dll missing

I can't get the game to start, I keep getting the following error "eqgame.exe - system error The program can't start because DSETUP.dll missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I have already tried copying the latest p99 files over and still doesnt work
Last edited by myrddincrow; 09-30-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Aviak

My windows defender flagged an extreme risk today (same day as above post) and like a noob I said Yah Sure Get rid of that nasty. Next try to log in and the game wouldn't work; same problem as you OP. I searched in file explorer for dsetup.dll and windows had moved it to the root directory. I dragged and dropped it back into my eq99 directory and hey presto, game on. Hope this helps you.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM
Large Bat

I had the same issue and just fixed it. As has been discussed here and elsewhere, dsetup.dll is now flagged as malicious. For my case, Windows Defender would delete the file if I tried to copy it to my game folder, and would delete it when I unzipped the patch files, so I couldn't even get a copy of the file.

The fix for me was to create a folder to download the patch files and make an exception in Windows Defender for that folder, as well as my game folder (I couldn't make an exception for the file, since it didn't exist...). The first exception let me unzip the patch files without issue, the second made sure I could copy it and run EQ. Someone more tech savvy than I will probably see some inefficiency here, but it works and assuming you are running Windows 10 + Defender, my guess is that it will work for you.

To create an exception in Defender go Start > Settings > Update & Security > Virus & Threat Protection. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Large Bat

though I was unable locate the original dsetup.dll the latest p99 files 50d finally fixed the issue
Old 10-01-2019, 12:41 PM
Skeleton

I got a virus: Trojan warning from windows in file DSETUP.dll after it removed I redownloaded just the new DSETUP.dll from v50b and put in everquest file and it worked.