Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Best class for grouping

title says it all. Looking to do mostly grouping. What is the most sought after class grouping wise? I haven't played in EQ in many years. My 2 mains back in the day were pally and shaman. I had fun with both but want to pick up groups easily. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 AM
Sarnak

Well I guess that really depends on what you want to do in said group. If you want to tank SK and Pally usually find a group pretty quick where warriors are less desired in lower level group situations due to their lack of snap aggro options. Most every group needs a cleric especially at later levels when druid/shaman heals drop off, however, shamen are also desired due to their amazing slow spells which make each encounter require less healing. If you want to be a DPS class rogues usually have a pretty easy time finding groups and chanters also top the dps charts at later levels with a charmed NPC. Most groups need some sort of CC and mana regen so a chanter or a bard wouldn't be a bad choice, however, bards are less desired as when things get hairy, the bard usually will have a hard time keeping mana regen, CC, and haste going all at the same time. Chanters can do all these things better than a bard but the bard will have other options in his bag of tricks. All comes down to play style and there is usually a spot in groups for most classes. Speaking from experience rangers have a hard time finding groups as do druids and wizards but play what you like and there are always things to do when you cant find a group.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:49 AM
Sarnak

Cleric Enchanter Shaman Monk Rogue Tank...
Old 11-07-2016, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric Enchanter Shaman Monk Rogue Tank...
To elaborate on this, and as a rogue main... you'll never be short of a group if there's a DPS slot going. Sneaking through zones like Sebilis is a great perk too. You are very screwed if there's no DPS slots available though.

If you like to sit, make a cleric. Similarly essential to a successful group but a lot of people burn out before they hit 60 and find it a bit limiting. Be a good backup CC if you make one, root adds and tell the group to move out of the way of it/them, stun mobs to gain aggro if the enchanter is getting a beatdown (as a plate class you can take a few hits).

Enchanters are fun and popular too but they lost some of their shinyness in Velious.

Want to tank? Everyone loves a SK for grouping. Best snap aggro tanks out there (disputed, but I know I'm right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

If you enjoy small groups of 2-3, maybe a shaman - good all round utility class with a bit of everything.

Hope that helps, and don't make a wizard... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Sarnak

Something with a desired role. Cleric is going to have tells for a group before you even log on. Enchanter covers things most other classes cant in crowd control and are effective pullers as well among many other things. Sk and pally make good group class over warrior if starting from nothing but usually theres a root spell somewhere in the group so dont let it stop you from rolling warrior if you've got your heart set on that specific tank. Its my personal favorite, gear or not. Shaman and druid bring alot to the table for a group but shamans going to be more sought after by quite a bit for group purposes. I personally would take either if i was forming with no preference and sometimes take druid over shaman depending on whats already in the group make up. Monk can single pull effectively if you understand the mechanics and also bring great dps even with no gear.

Basically.. Cleric, SK/Pally/War, Enchanter will be your best bets if you want to nearly always have a group. Class wont always guarantee you a spot though. If you really suck at what youre supposed to be doing, your reputation could spread fast.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 AM
Sarnak

As far as exp groups go you will easily find groups as Paladin or Shaman.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 AM
Fire Giant

If the group is looking for a tank, tank is the best you can be. If they need a healer, you should be a healer. Dedicated classes always get preference, but if a dedicated class isn't available the group might take a compromise.

At the moment i am playing a bard, and grouping is usually easy. Missing a tank? Can do that. Insufficient heals? With heal song and slows going all the time the healer can relax a lot more and will have mana for the tough situations. DPS and CC can also be done by a bard (enchanter is better at both, but bard is not far behind). So you might consider playing a bard... if you like to be *very* active during fights.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Sarnak

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bard.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Fire Giant

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ranger.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auchae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically.. Cleric, SK/Pally/War, Enchanter will be your best bets if you want to nearly always have a group. Class wont always guarantee you a spot though. If you really suck at what youre supposed to be doing, your reputation could spread fast.
more or less right.

every pug group needs a tank, healer, and cc, so you're best playing classes that fit those roles. you won't always find a group within 60 seconds of putting up lfg but you'll almost always get one in a reasonable time.

honorable mention would go to monks and shamans, both very useful classes that frequently are in your XP group, there are just a huge number of them so their spots are more or less saturated. sometimes you'll see monks in the tank role because of this saturation.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Closed Thread