Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Kobold

I don't know that the class matters as much as the ability to PLAY the class. I think - no, I BELIEVE that a good player who knows their class is an asset to a group. The variety is part of the fun.

I agree that sometimes you get in a group and it's just... not easy. (I can tell many stories...) But it can be done. I spent a lot of times with my rogue grouped with a ranger and a druid. Or sometimes it was a bard and an enchanter and the Rogue was the tank! Or sometimes you had warrior, cleric, monk, enchanter, rogue and Necro. Or shaman, rogue, monk. Or... or... or... The combinations are endless.

So be what you WANT to be!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks all for the replies!
I think I'll give Cleric a try. I hear they are crap when it comes to solo though. Any suggestions on race/starting area/stats?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobolamr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know that the class matters as much as the ability to PLAY the class. I think - no, I BELIEVE that a good player who knows their class is an asset to a group. The variety is part of the fun.

I agree that sometimes you get in a group and it's just... not easy. (I can tell many stories...) But it can be done. I spent a lot of times with my rogue grouped with a ranger and a druid. Or sometimes it was a bard and an enchanter and the Rogue was the tank! Or sometimes you had warrior, cleric, monk, enchanter, rogue and Necro. Or shaman, rogue, monk. Or... or... or... The combinations are endless.

So be what you WANT to be!
this is great advice until "what you want to be" detracts from your enjoyment of the game.

I was a wizard on live. I pugged pretty hard up until 40ish but then things dried up fast. with kunark mobs in high level dungeons hit point totals are much higher and your inefficiency stands out. not finding groups in the late game kinda sucks. it isn't any better for wizards here, or druids for that matter.

most people you are pugging it with aren't going to think like tobolamr. most of them will expect a tank, healer, and cc of the appropriate classes. early on you will find groups because group composition doesn't matter so much early, but the more you level the more difficulty you'll have finding groups, until you get to seb and realize nobody will take you because you didn't pick one of the more important grouping classes.

so, sure, be what you want to be, but if you want to group regularly all the way up to the end, pick a class that is recognized as plugging one of those main roles. it'll be much easier for you.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 11-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Sarnak

There is no "bad" race to be when choosing a cleric. Human/Erudites get some kinda cool quests which help if you are not twinked, High elves start with the highest wis and get a nice bracer quest at later levels, Halflings get sneak/hide, gnomes can tinker and have really cool looking custom helms, Dark elves get ultravision, hide, a snare necklace (which isn't as good as it seems but its useful sometimes) plus really cool custom helms, and Dwarves can do that sweet barrel-roll. As for starting stats Wisdom isn't a bad place to put your points as it will make your mana pool bigger but at later levels this will be capped regardless of where you put your points. Str might also be a good choice depending on your race as plate armor is heavy but this will also not be an issue at later levels as most plate will have str on it as well. A split between the two would be ok as it will give you more mana to help level and let you wear heavier armor earlier on. End game raiders will likely tell you sta is the most important stat because it is the only stat you wont be able to cap but it isn't a big deal. Pick what you think looks the best and in the end, the differences in all of your creation decisions will be minimal.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:16 AM
Fire Giant

Against undead, a cleric is basically a wizard, and your nukes even have a resistance bonus. But you can't quad them... so not really a wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Still, you can solo, it's just really boring and slow.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Against undead, a cleric is basically a wizard, and your nukes even have a resistance bonus. But you can't quad them... so not really a wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Still, you can solo, it's just really boring and slow.
Not from my experience. I get more resists on vs spells soloing blues than anything. Maybe it's because the global MR on this server is through the roof and all cleric spells are magic based?

I'll never solo lvl a cleric again. Worst class to solo IMHO.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no "bad" race to be when choosing a cleric. Human/Erudites get some kinda cool quests which help if you are not twinked, High elves start with the highest wis and get a nice bracer quest at later levels, Halflings get sneak/hide, gnomes can tinker and have really cool looking custom helms, Dark elves get ultravision, hide, a snare necklace (which isn't as good as it seems but its useful sometimes) plus really cool custom helms, and Dwarves can do that sweet barrel-roll. As for starting stats Wisdom isn't a bad place to put your points as it will make your mana pool bigger but at later levels this will be capped regardless of where you put your points. Str might also be a good choice depending on your race as plate armor is heavy but this will also not be an issue at later levels as most plate will have str on it as well. A split between the two would be ok as it will give you more mana to help level and let you wear heavier armor earlier on. End game raiders will likely tell you sta is the most important stat because it is the only stat you wont be able to cap but it isn't a big deal. Pick what you think looks the best and in the end, the differences in all of your creation decisions will be minimal.
Humans of Innoruuk get some fun clicks.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask
Fear

http://wiki.project1999.com/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk
Snare/DoT

They also get some robe options, which lets you mix up your appearance.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is nice, but it has a long cast time compared to duration of spell. Also, it tends to get resisted a lot.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

Rogue is the best class for grouping and this is why: DPS is always in demand. A group with a healer doesn't need another healer. A group with a tank doesn't need another tank. A group with CC or Buffing doesn't need more CC or Buffing. Groups are more than happy to have 3 rogues in them, however.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

Who approves posts?
Closed Thread