Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 11-21-2022, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

It definitely matters but won’t break your game. Everything is a trade off, but taking less damage is critical in all facets of monk life. Honestly the items in the bags make up a huge part of total weight. If you invest in a couple tink bags you can stay under even with some heavy items equipped. You should also think about swapping/bagging items at different times.

For instance, I have gear that pushes me way over weight that I swap in when I’m. Or concerned with taking hits (dps portions of raid mob) but will die from AOEs. You could also toss you heavy staff in 100 wr bag when pulling, etc.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloroform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont get this logic could you explain?
For instance, Silver Chitin Wristbands. 3.5 wt, way too heavy -- but 15ac +40hp and +7str +7dex. worth the trade-off -- until level 50. All that heay twink gear (barbed dragonscale, oiled greaves, etc) is worth it until you want mobs to not hit you as much.

player sub level-50, the mobs aren't strong enough to really do enough damage for it to matter:

But as someone else explained, because the mobs start to really scale up at 45+ -- by level 50+, you want to have low weight to maximize AC (especially if soloing). im also convinced to this day that there is a hidden mechanic also associated with weight. my (unproven) theory is that weight doesnt just affect AC, but also dodge, block, riposte chance.

The AC penalty for weight also scales with level. So at level 50, the penalty is huge for being even 1 stone over (-7ac iirc). this continues up to like 20 stone over (with diminishing returns) Over 20 stone overweight, its barely any change. But youlll get like -80ac for that 20 stone over.

theres definitely more concrete info on this on forums, and i have saved an excel sheet of each stone over how much it affects AC.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im also convinced to this day that there is a hidden mechanic also associated with weight. my (unproven) theory is that weight doesnt just affect AC, but also dodge, block, riposte chance.
This should be easy to test, weight yourself down a ton and let an NPC hit you for 5 minutes, then have no weight overage and let the same NPC hit you again for the same period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not difficult to stay under weight. Just do it.
Stop fat shaming you toxic cuck!

It's worthwhile to have a heavy weapon when trying to DPS if that's the best option available.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:41 PM
Aviak

On live the ac penalty for being over weight limit lowered avoidance ac not mitigation ac, displayed ac is a representation of both so thats why the number drops. You’ll get hit for the same amount just more frequent, thanks to fewer block/dodge/riposte/misses.
It isn’t really a hidden mechanic, just obfuscated ac values
Old 11-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Aviak

Would be awesome for someone to test just like 5 mins under / over weight at varying levels to see what the differwnce really is for folks to make better decisions.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaqua [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On live the ac penalty for being over weight limit lowered avoidance ac not mitigation ac, displayed ac is a representation of both so thats why the number drops. You’ll get hit for the same amount just more frequent, thanks to fewer block/dodge/riposte/misses.
It isn’t really a hidden mechanic, just obfuscated ac values
yeah, its kinda cool how shit like this is still topic of many forum posts 23 yers later. has anyone opened up the code for this wacky ass game to see if theyre able to pull formulas?

Edit: besides devs
Old 11-22-2022, 12:31 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-22-2022, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah, its kinda cool how shit like this is still topic of many forum posts 23 yers later. has anyone opened up the code for this wacky ass game to see if theyre able to pull formulas?

Edit: besides devs
Most of the game logic is server-side not client-side. The various clients have been decompiled to pull what formulas are there. For server stuff, the best we can do is posts from old devs and parses from live.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 AM
Kobold

AC is still incredibly broken on p99, it has a fraction of the effect that it did on Live/Classic

Classic players could see a noticeable change in mitigation when going for raw worn/innate AC (versus AC from AGI or buffs), and tanks always went with Kael armor for the higher raw AC

On p99 the calculations are off so YMMV -- in general I found AC to barely matter on p99, to the point where AGI-based AC (increasing avoidance) seems more useful if at all
Old 11-23-2022, 04:32 AM
Planar Protector

Imo the by level ac caps may be off, the mob atk/acc values may be wrong, return after cap may be wrong.

All that said this is the best classic eq.

Something about takp just always feels off to me.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung