Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Aviak

Thumbs up

After playing for about a week I believe I have finally fixed my Zoning issue!!

I use Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have taken the advice of many on these posts to run things in Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility Mode as well as Run as Administrator. But at first I had only applied it to WinEQ2.exe (or EQEmu.exe depending on if I was checking for patches). Then yesterday I decided to try that on a couple other files as well. I knew that WinEQ2 had to start EverQuest using it's executable, so I went to the EverQuest directory and found eqgame.exe and applied the same Compatibility Mode changes to that. I also saw an EverQuest.exe, which I also made the Mode changes to.

Now I can zone multiple times and it loads every time! I tested it a bunch yesterday, and I have had NO problems today either.

I don't think that this will help everyone with their crashing, I wish it could, but maybe a couple people out there will have some luck.

By the way, this is all on my work computer, which is a Dell Precision T3500 tower. It has an Intel Xenon single core (dual with hyperthreading) processor and an nVidia Quadro 295. Not really a gaming machine, but can handle EQ.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Skeleton

Adding a data point: Fresh install of EQ Titanium from the CDs on my 2011 Mac Pro (not Macbook) upgraded to 16GB RAM and 4x 1TB harddrives (only one of which is used for Win OS). It's on bootcamp running Win 8 (which was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro; a decision I regret). Used EQEmuLauncher v1.24 to launch eqgame.exe (with no other modifications), and that's how I've been playing. I have yet to crash during zone, but I see it happening to group mates all the time. Using latest available ATI drivers as of this post. I'm also running i-net through WiFi from an AirPort Extreme router.

As I see it, it's either graphics resources being loaded for the new zone (or unloading from old zone) that crashes clients in which there's nothing P99 team can do about it since it's purely a client problem, or it's a protocol thing (something wonky/unexpected being sent or not being sent to client during zone) in which case it's an EQemu compatibility problem that P99 team might be able to address if it can be figured out.

My random suspicion is that it's the former--graphics resources issue.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Fire Giant

Default my solution

Greetings

Like everyone here i crash when zoning 95 % of the time.

Tried all the quad /dual core solutions to no avail
used wineq2 no luck
set compatability no luck

so came to this thread and read all 19 pages looked at my dbg log file. Sure enough i was loosing connection like many of you.

I tried the follow things and finally finally zone freely without crashing.

1. made sure all my program for eq (wineq2, eqplaynice, eqgame.exe ) had full access on my firewall within mcafee.

2. mcafee firewall has netguard setting you can have turned of/on when you setup the access for a program through the firewall. I had left this on not understanding what it did. turned netguard off for all the program that are needed for EQ <see 1 >.

3. Deleted all my character ui files.

Buskier 33 Human cleric Follower of Rodcet Nife. 199skill blacksmith

Ps I highly suspect Netguard being on was my reason for the zone crashes

PPS win 7 64 bit on a HP pavilion dv6 AMD A8 chipset lap top
Last edited by Buellen; 04-20-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Fire Giant

I find the linkdeath to be more common using a Wi-Fi connection. When I plug directly into my Computer, the problem goes away instantly. I think I've heard of people having LD problems, fixing it by buying a new router and then the problem disappears.. This is just my experience. Perhaps there's packet loss or port problems or some shit, maybe router firewall... ect..

edit: using windows 7 64bit on a Acer Aspire 5733-z
Last edited by odiecat99; 04-19-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Fire Giant

This has just started happening to me too. I don't crash, I hang. It began only after timing out during a boat zoning in OOT (I was downloading and had a 1k+ ping as a result). I restarted and had to swim for 30 minutes to get back onto the boat. Since then, I've been hanging on every second zone. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to DOPE

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=111339

Try this fix, post results in thread!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

The dev's need to begin work on SoD and SoF Client support.

many of the problems we have are because Titanium Client is the shit.
If you follow some of the other EMU servers tech forums it's very clear that bothe SoD, SoF and UF client is much more stable. One thing you notice is the zone loading time is much faster on the later client versions. Only problem with later clients as far as i have noticed is to find the right D3DX9_30.dll version for each client, wich is not always included, especially if you find it as *orrents.

I don't know if they have a specific reason to only support Titanium, like its maybe not so easy to get the old school spell effects and stuff to run on the later clients, but if its more stable, why not just use it instead of using a client with so many bugs in it.

it seems like Titanium is a transition client between the old dx7 and newer dx9 clients with loads of bugs and many functions from the old system left in limbo without being converted 100%
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After playing for about a week I believe I have finally fixed my Zoning issue!!

I use Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have taken the advice of many on these posts to run things in Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility Mode as well as Run as Administrator. But at first I had only applied it to WinEQ2.exe (or EQEmu.exe depending on if I was checking for patches). Then yesterday I decided to try that on a couple other files as well. I knew that WinEQ2 had to start EverQuest using it's executable, so I went to the EverQuest directory and found eqgame.exe and applied the same Compatibility Mode changes to that. I also saw an EverQuest.exe, which I also made the Mode changes to.

Now I can zone multiple times and it loads every time! I tested it a bunch yesterday, and I have had NO problems today either.

I don't think that this will help everyone with their crashing, I wish it could, but maybe a couple people out there will have some luck.

By the way, this is all on my work computer, which is a Dell Precision T3500 tower. It has an Intel Xenon single core (dual with hyperthreading) processor and an nVidia Quadro 295. Not really a gaming machine, but can handle EQ.

Don't forget to run the actual EqEmu shortcut under admin mode as well, by right clicking everytime you run the short cut and selecting "run as administrator" as well as doing everything quoted above, or else it doesn't work.

If you do everything, it does seem to fix the issue.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Sarnak

I don't know what the deal is but the crashing is just getting worse and worse. I'm getting a whole combination of problems between crashing on zone lines, inability to login unless I repeatedly attempt to connect, and then sometimes even when I do log in I don't see servers OR when I do try to connect to a server "An unkown error occurs". I've tried fresh installing, playing with and without DuxaUI, messing with video drivers, turning off load art, and a whole slew of other things. I've pretty much convinced myself it's something on the server's end. This problem can't be client side, simply because you remove files from the picture and then take a fresh set and the problem continues. Unless recently there is a common 3rd party update that everyone shares here...Which I find pretty hard to believe. It just sucks that this only seems to be afflicting a small (er) group of people so it isn't really being addressed it seems.

Edit: At this point I'm lucky to make one zone in five. And it takes 20+ attempts just to log in. So with crashing continually and constant load screens it's literally unplayable when I spend 4-5x trying to log in / connect more than I do actually in-game.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Orc

I'm having the exact same issues as getsmurfed. It's hard too port anyone while I'm busy crashing. Game goes not responding & I have to ctrl+alt+del.