Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Large Bat

Default Tips on how not to play like a child?

I just started playing p99 today. I used to play on live when I was 8 when Ruins of Kunark just came out (my dad got me and my brothers into EQ). I didn't really know how to play the game efficiently. I tried a few classes out but my favorite was always a barbarian shaman. So now I'm wondering does anyone have any tips on how not to play a shaman like an 8 year old? lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Large Bat

Also I had the hardest time "saying the right words" to get a quest. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The answers are already out there, and there is too much material to retype it all here for you.

If you haven't done enough basic research to formulate some specific questions, then I have nothing to respond to.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

Well, as a shaman you can either decide to group or to solo. If you group, you should first get to level 4 and then head over to Blackburrow or Crushbone, and once those zones get too low, Unrest. Your role in the group will initially be healing and buffing, but as you level up you will also be slowing (the slows don't necessarily become useful until later on, because the first ones are rather weak while still costing a lot of mana). Once you get cannibalize and regeneration (level 24, I think), you will always want to keep regeneration on you, and you will want to cannibalize so that you are never at full HP - this will give you a constant extra mana source which is very useful. At 34 you get your first pet and can add that to the mix.

If you solo, you will be meleeing monsters for a little while. Once you hit 14 and get Root, it will make more sense to root the monsters and throw DoTs on them (damage over time spells; yours are disease- and poison-based) while you sit and meditate. Shamans are kind of weak soloers for a while so don't expect miracles, though they become increasingly badass as they level and get new abilities and items. Focus on humanoid and undead monsters because they'll drop better loot for the most part, giving you more money to buy spells (spell money will be tight at first; you might need to farm bone chips / high quality bear skins / spiderling silks to sell in East Commonlands to other players for some extra dough).

Also, make sure you train Meditate at level 8, and any other skills that unlock at given levels. (Except the Specialize skills, which unlock on their own - but it will take you a while to get there anyway.)

That's kind of a brief run-down. Basically, what you should do is look at the Wiki every time you hit a new spell level and look through the spells you get and determine to what extent they're useful and what you can do with them. Also, I would recommend grouping if you can, and don't be afraid to ask for advice or to take people's suggestions if you're doing something wrong.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

A shaman is the patient class. You always get your way, just sometimes takes a while. My suggestion is send tells to sixty shamans in a known guild or shamans who are 5-10 levels ahead of you to find out what they did for a certain level range.

Oh, big tip. If in a group and not the healer, shaman's are often a utility class. If the cleric is complaining about being Low on Mana or Out of Mana (LoM, oom) throwing slows will help them out. If the group has plenty of kill power and you're just kinda sitting there, you may be best doing pulls, etc.
Last edited by lecompte; 07-24-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, just /who all shaman 50 60 and send random tells. Chances are you will get good info. Most people are cool... except when on the board.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Large Bat

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I went to Blackburrow since I'm a barbarian and Halas is right next to it, but didn't like it as much as I liked Crushbone. So I'm traveling over there and learning where places are on the way. Glade to hear that shamans are an "increasingly badass as they level." I'll definitely try to group most of the time, and maybe join a guild. Again thanks guys. See you in Norrath! (unlikely but it a nice goodbye [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

What level are you? gnoll teeth quest is so OP that BB should be worth it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanWFT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I went to Blackburrow since I'm a barbarian and Halas is right next to it, but didn't like it as much as I liked Crushbone. So I'm traveling over there and learning where places are on the way. Glade to hear that shamans are an "increasingly badass as they level." I'll definitely try to group most of the time, and maybe join a guild. Again thanks guys. See you in Norrath! (unlikely but it a nice goodbye [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Something to consider about your relocation if you haven't already: good shamans can only train in Halas and there are no standard shaman spell merchants on Felwithe. If travel is no big deal for you, plunge ahead. If it's rough going, think carefully about where you'll want to level, particularly at low level when you're always running back for training/spells.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Large Bat

Right now I'm level 7. I've been trying to pass "highhold pass" to get to the commonlands, but haven't been able to find anyone to take me across. But hearing that BB is pretty good and considering I won't half to travel across Norrath to get spells and training I'll stay in BB.

Also running through all of these zones reminded me of how precious SoW and other movement spells are lol glad to be a shaman.
Last edited by DylanWFT; 07-27-2013 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Edited to fix spelling mistake.... habits of a college student
Closed Thread