Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your swing timer is still reset even if you have autoattack off, so no that ain't gonna work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Toggling attack off, casting spell, then toggling attack back on was very much the standard way of bypassing the spellcast reset in-era. You could also cast a quick spell between weapon swings and it wouldn't slow attack rate provided the spell finished before the weapon delay was up.

lmao

Are you the guy on the personal crusade against chanters in the Bug forum or is that some other D-name.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe from weapon swapping? Weapon swapping was definitely not a big thing back then.
As an old school rogue I can say weapon swapping was pretty big back in the day. I dual'd SBDs with intimidation for solo rogue fear kiting and had lower delay weapons to swap in for chase dmg and a higher dmg main hand for backstabbing.

Whether or not all the swapping resulted in better dps is a separate matter as I didn't know about log parsing for quite a while. But swapping weapons was something I did every fight
Old 10-31-2020, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lmao
Are you the guy on the personal crusade against chanters in the Bug forum or is that some other D-name.
Please do not Rant or Flame in this thread. If you want to rant or flame go to the appropriate forum section. Thank You.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 10-31-2020 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-31-2020, 07:02 PM
Banned

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant how embarrassing that Dolalin couldn't see that turning off auto-attack for =/> swing timer was going to result in an instant swing on autoattack toggle. That was a unfortunate result for his argument and the likelihood of his bug thread gaining serious attention.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

I don't see any embarrassment there. Dolalin performs a great deal of valuable research but nobody is 100% on everything, that's why it's a community effort. Case in point, I don't remember about weapon swapping one way or the other, didn't do it myself except for my short few months on the PvP server and can't remember for the life of me whether doing it reset weapon delay. I don't care about it enough to spend hours poring over archived USENET discussion boards.

Danth
Old 10-31-2020, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was looking at another classic eq site and noticed a couple lines...
Does anyone know anything about this? Or can anyone remember classic live?

This would be a big change for casters/priests that currently, on p99 they automatically swing their weapon after a cast, so long as the cast time is greater than the swing delay.

The 2nd line would affect classes that weapon swap. For example this would kill that monk weapon swap dps meta. Was that even classic?

Anyone know anything about this stuff?
It's easy enough to tap your auto-attack key before and after casting. That's what you had to do before they allowed hydrids to be lazy back in the day.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong about something [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Evidence always speaks for itself. I'll look for some this coming week.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:25 AM
Orc

Part 2 of OP statement: if weap timers were not reset upon weap swap you could actually lose out on dmg when swapping to faster weapons esp going from 2h to 1h... so it seems like it’s more so a normalized buff for everyone rather than a negatively impactful thing. Most ppl as casters are not switching from daggers to staff for melee purposes.... if anything it’s likely a swap to click a cast in which case it’s a total mute point yet again...

Also hybrids aren’t lazy for casting while auto-attack stays on considering they have more to manage overall vs most classes... don’t believe me? Try it over a pet class or healer in a group setting.... if you expect to get by on an argument that hybrids (which usually micromanage during play) are lazy because they don’t have to press x 2 more times every cast then I have several non puller pet casters I’d like you to meet...
Last edited by Tiger_King; 11-01-2020 at 02:29 AM..
Old 11-01-2020, 02:51 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong about something [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Evidence always speaks for itself. I'll look for some this coming week.
From what I recall it worked liked:

Lets just assume you just swung your weapon.
Then you leave your auto attack on after the swing while you cast a a spell.
If you left autoattack on and your weapon swing timer elapsed(would have been able to swing if not for casting a spell), then you would lose that swing and would reset the timer. essentially the game is counting it as a swing that never happened.
If you turned auto attack off and waited for the spell to finish casting, you would get an instant attack in(assuming the swing timer had elapsed).

i think the hybrid changes they implemented simply meant hybrids didn't have to worry about switching AA on/off.

But basically if your swing timer elapses during a spell cast your timer was reset. Combining slow weapons with faster casting spells can also allow you to avoid the delayand not have to worry about toggling at all.

I'd recommend looking for early era SK tips/guides/posts related to fear kiting and you will probably find some commentary about it and weapon selection related to the issue.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was looking at another classic eq site and noticed a couple lines...
Does anyone know anything about this? Or can anyone remember classic live?

This would be a big change for casters/priests that currently, on p99 they automatically swing their weapon after a cast, so long as the cast time is greater than the swing delay.

The 2nd line would affect classes that weapon swap. For example this would kill that monk weapon swap dps meta. Was that even classic?

Anyone know anything about this stuff?
I'm pretty sure its unclassic. On my shaman I keep attack on so that he can get a swing in between casts...even if you chain cast (like chain clicking your nuke bracer) the attack will go off between casts if the timer has been met. I intentionally pick the highest dam weapon with a delay less than the clicky or a proc weapon for the chance between nukes.

Can't prove it, but I think I would remember that strat from live.
Closed Thread