Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for all the answers. What is 'white damage' (damage without taking procs into account?)? I'm presently considering weapons which don't proc for the record.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

White damage is regular melee damage. When talking about agro tho (i.e. "white damage agro/threat") the reference is to modal damage (2x base weapon damage + damage bonus).
Damage bonus applies to mainhand weapon at L28+ for all melee/hybrid classes except Bard (L-25 / 3, drop fractions*).

*I have not played on blue for nearly a year now, they may have the revised 2h damage bonusses in play there now, I dunno.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is, none-the-less correct info. iirc the 2h threat malus is 30%, i.e. threat from 2handers is 0.7*(2*dmg+bonus).
So threat from 2 handers is less than from 1 handers?

What would be better for holding aggro, the Warrior Epic 1hs dual wield combo or the Warrior Epic 2hs? The latter has higher dps, both have aggro procs. Just as an example. If that's a good example.

Also, if attack speed/delay doesn't affect aggro why was the moss covered twig nerfed and made offhand only? The reason I heard given (some time after the fact) was because a 3/17 mainhand kept aggro too easily.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What would be better for holding aggro, the Warrior Epic 1hs dual wield combo or the Warrior Epic 2hs? The latter has higher dps, both have aggro procs. Just as an example. If that's a good example.

Also, if attack speed/delay doesn't affect aggro why was the moss covered twig nerfed and made offhand only? The reason I heard given (some time after the fact) was because a 3/17 mainhand kept aggro too easily.
Warriors typically use two one hand weapons WITH agro procs. Two procs means more agro procs than the 2h version of epic. This is a great wombo combo for agro:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Blade_of_Strategy
https://wiki.project1999.com/Trident_of_the_Deep_Sea

You got a 500 agro proc from epic, and a slow proc from Trident. Trident proc is also a cold spell, rather than a magic spell. This means the slow can land on mobs that are magic immune.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A 3/10 (not 3/17) mainhand weapon in the hands of a L58 is gonna have modal damage ratio of 17/10 (1.70), and modal damage is what agro is based on. Compared to a Jade Mace at 9/18 which gives 29/18 (1.61) modal at 58+ it's better but not actually amazing, so I don't think agro is why Verant panicked over the twig. More likely that being so fast it was best dps vs. very high AC mobs where you get lots of hits for less than the modal damage and so the damage bonus matters more (esp in hands of a Monk who's hitting the raid boss from behind and so avoiding dodge/parry/riposte).
Old 06-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is, none-the-less correct info. iirc the 2h threat malus is 30%, i.e. threat from 2handers is 0.7*(2*dmg+bonus).
I hope I'm not keeping this thread going unduly long, but just to be clear, this means that 2 handers suffer from a penalty here relative to one handers? I.e. threat from one handers is 1.0*(2*dmg+bonus)?

If the formulas you've posted here are correct then that gives me a simple calculation to do to figure out which weapons to use -- thanks. (Though I suppose you'd need the formula for offhand swing chance too to be complete)

How did you compute the modal damage ratio?
Last edited by Kaa; 06-24-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Let’s not forget that aggro per swing is the same regardless of how much damage it hits for, even a miss.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:02 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So do 2 handers suffer an aggro penalty or not?

For the record, I'm comparing a Silvery Two-handed Axe vs. Bladed Thulian Claws/Cold Iron Morning Star as my setup.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Planar Protector

Part of the confusion in this thread is that there are literally newbie lvl 20s on green getting advice from lvl60 vets with BiS gear on blue.

Holding aggro on green as a warrior is a very different situation than holding aggro on blue end game geared. Reliance on "white damage" is important...but there is no combination of weps in the game in vanilla that will cause enough "white damage" for you to hold aggro consistently off an even poorly geared DPS in any random PUG.

If you play a warrior on green you have severely limited options...the best one before lvl 30ish is prob just to ask the semi-afk player in your PUG to just root the friggin mob for you.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you play a warrior on green you have severely limited options...the best one before lvl 30ish is prob just to ask the semi-afk player in your PUG to just root the friggin mob for you.
Doesn't even have to be the afk dude. Ranger tanking in vanilla is decent until the end, but in LGuk & SolB best use of Ranger mana is rooting mob on the warrior to make the rogue do more dps and the cleric not be going oom all the time. Any root is a warrior's bestest friend.