Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Large Bat

Default Finally!

So I was in a huge financial crunch, and ended up with Platinum instead of Titanium, and it took me a long time to finally get Titanium. I now have a Lvl 6 Human Cleric, and am having a tough time of it.

What I am experiencing is that when it is busy, buffs in the EC Tunnel are somewhat difficult to obtain, and with 3 exceptions, other players seem really aloof. So as a result, leveling is slow, and the game doesn't seem to be very rewarding. But I will keep trying, at least for a while.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanarias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I was in a huge financial crunch, and ended up with Platinum instead of Titanium, and it took me a long time to finally get Titanium. I now have a Lvl 6 Human Cleric, and am having a tough time of it.

What I am experiencing is that when it is busy, buffs in the EC Tunnel are somewhat difficult to obtain, and with 3 exceptions, other players seem really aloof. So as a result, leveling is slow, and the game doesn't seem to be very rewarding. But I will keep trying, at least for a while.
Congrats, and sorry to here about the trouble getting the client. There certainly are advantages to using a torrent.

As for leveling being slow, it's all a matter of perspective. If you start in Faydear, Odus, Halas/Surefall/Qeynos, etc. there are no "buffs in the EC tunnel". The same goes if you played on live (or early on P99): the tunnel only has semi-reliable buffs because there are so many higher level characters, and that's only the case because this server has been around for almost a decade (and stuck at level 60 with no AA for most of that time).

So this may not be what you want to hear, but leveling (and just classic EQ in general) is slow. Rather than complain about leveling with buffs being slow, I think you'd be better served taking time to smell the roses, enjoying the journey not the destination, or *insert similar "slow down" saying here*. In a few levels each level will take significantly longer AND you won't be getting buffed, so if you're not enjoying the game now just because you can't get buffs, you're really not going to like it then.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-19-2017 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't go around looking for buffs so when people throw some on me I am happy. The reason is if you start becoming used to buffs not having them will be noticeable so play with what you have and not keep thinking buffs will be around. I hardly get any SOW and just run everywhere slowly.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

You picked a great class to play, as a cleric. This class is very slow starting out though, and without decent gears soloing is quite painful as a cleric. This is only going to exacerbate your frustrations.

At lvl 8 you get meditate which will quicken your mana regen, and by 14 you get Healing which other healers won't get till lvl 19. This makes you a far better healer and you should be able to find groups by this point.

If you plan to solo this class, it's very slow. I suggest you rolling another class to play when you cannot find a group on the cleric, soloing it will be miserable imo.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You picked a great class to play, as a cleric. This class is very slow starting out though, and without decent gears soloing is quite painful as a cleric. This is only going to exacerbate your frustrations.

At lvl 8 you get meditate which will quicken your mana regen, and by 14 you get Healing which other healers won't get till lvl 19. This makes you a far better healer and you should be able to find groups by this point.

If you plan to solo this class, it's very slow. I suggest you rolling another class to play when you cannot find a group on the cleric, soloing it will be miserable imo.
My first character was a cleric, I made it to lvl 14. I got groups twice in that time, far to many twinks soloing everything. Now maybe later on it would have gotten better, but as a first character it was brutal trying to solo so I switched to a solo friendly class.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Kobold

/tell is your friend
make groups happen
go for old world content, for it is easiest to snare a group of adventuring neckbeards
unrest is your friend
/ all 6 10
etc
Great choice in class!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

The game isn't a rush to 60 like most mmos nowadays. It's a slow paced long lasting experience where the difficulty and very steep penalties make for a memorable and long lasting experience. Everything will get better when you start camping higher populated zones, especially as a cleric. Right now collect items like bone chips and hq bear pelts to sell at ec for noob money. Make some lowbie friends. People like to give free items to new players here.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Orc

I'm playing my first cleric right now and am loving it. I find that people will always pay it forward with buffs and helping players. A slow grind in a newbie zone can become invigorating when someone happens by and gives you a boost. My cleric has a long way to go, but I love helping others. People will remember your kindness later down the road, too. EQ is a game that seems to take more than it gives, but your accomplishments are so pleasing and makes the effort really worth it.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Aviak

In EC, I use same zone class buttons on the social panel. (/who druid, /who shaman) and msg ppl / ask nicely for buffs. So far I have lvled all my started alts this way. usually only takes a day or 2 to hit lvl 12 and be off to unrest or croc group.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Large Bat

Thanks, all. The smell the roses advice is spot on. I am just cruising, and I am in a great Guild, which makes me feel good, as I get a lot of moral support and encouragement.
Closed Thread