Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

That's weird - I thought there'd be some left over. Sta > str so no, I would just dump everything into sta. Str is the most ubiquitous stat on gear, you'll get plenty of it. The extra HP will help you way more than anything, especially at low levels.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Kobold

Now I just need a list of low level Ranger gear
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 AM
Planar Protector

Wear cloth/tattered/raw-hide that you come across. Get a Green Jade broadsword, sword of skyfire or silver swiftwind for 50pp. Save 90pp for banded. Get some platinum fire rings for 250 each.

If you want to do some questing Ivy Etched armour is good, you can start in your 20s. Late 20s you can fear kite snow cougars in iceclad for cougar claw earrings.

If you want to hunt for armour upgrades late 30s/40s start an orc fort group in eastern wastes for rygor armour. Some nice earrings drop there too.

If you want to get to your spell levels asap I found the best way to do that is to focus on killing (decaying) skeletons until level 5. This will earn you about 30pp in loot from cloth/rusty armour/etc (try use this to negotiate a good price on a weapon) and give you 2 backpacks full of bone chips, which should be enough to take to Kaladim and turn in at the paladin guild to xp up to level 9 or 10.

If you are low on strength, you can fight in guk late teens and earn some mesh armour, which is okay AC for the level but really low weight, letting you carry more loot.
Last edited by Jimjam; 10-11-2016 at 01:15 AM..
Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Planar Protector

If this is your first character or you do not have any high level character or do not plan on end game raiding, then go all STR ^^. It will offer a vastly superior gameplay experience. You will be less prone to encumberance (which hampers cash flows and lowers survivability) while leveling and enjoy fewer misses to boot.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Encumbrance isn't too much of an issue if you're smart about it. If something vendors for less than 20 plat I usually don't loot it unless it's stackable, or unless I'm near a bank already. It's easy to get distracted by junk loot like Fine Steel, Ring Mail, Bronze, etc. Just let it rot, it will just slow down your progress leveling and ultimately levels will make you more money.

Don't let copper and silver weigh you down - if it builds up just destroy it, it's not worth it. If you can't afford Tinker Bags, spend some time in EC to get the cheaper weight reduction bags like Bag of Sewn Evil-Eye and Light Burlap Sack.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

^ There you go OP, if you don't mind letting 20p "junk" rot and are happy to wear leather, your 70str will work just fine ^^
Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Sarnak

If you want to solo as a ranger, either xping or for stuff at 60, then dex becomes your most important stat. It effects bow damage, and also proc rate on weapons. You want your Swarmcaller (~100pp, procs at 46) to proc as soon as possible each fight.

Strength is very easy to raise through Velious gear and does not impact your ability to solo very much. Rangers have terrible returns to stamina and tend to rely on rooting and regen, or snaring and regen - meaning your max HP isn't as imporant. Agi isn't worth much.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to solo as a ranger, either xping or for stuff at 60, then dex becomes your most important stat. It effects bow damage, and also proc rate on weapons.
Did they patch that when I wasn't looking? Str affects bow damage on p99...no?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to solo as a ranger, either xping or for stuff at 60, then dex becomes your most important stat. It effects bow damage, and also proc rate on weapons. You want your Swarmcaller (~100pp, procs at 46) to proc as soon as possible each fight.

Strength is very easy to raise through Velious gear and does not impact your ability to solo very much. Rangers have terrible returns to stamina and tend to rely on rooting and regen, or snaring and regen - meaning your max HP isn't as imporant. Agi isn't worth much.
Yes, this is true except for the bow damage (bow is str). Your epic sword is a slow proc, which makes all the world of difference soloing. So Dex is most important, followed by Wisdom because you get much more mana return compared to hp from stamina. Root/heal is only way to survive.

Rangers also get a strength buff very early on, and dex gear is harder to find.

I'd split between dex/wis.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

STA now or you'll regret it later. There's enough str/dex/whatever gear to find as you level. 20-30 levels of managing inventory is a problem that goes away. 40, 60 and 80 extra hp at levels 40, 50 and 60 that you can't otherwise get is a problem that doesn't go away.
Closed Thread