Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Fire Giant

Default Troll Shaman symbols, with Green in mind

I've been waffling about going either Ogre or Troll Shaman for my first Green character so I wanted to see if anybody had some thoughts on which symbols would be more useful and how useful they would be through classic/Kunark. I've never played a Troll so I have no real first hand experience with the symbols.

It seems like the Symbol of Innoruuk is considered the better symbol, but with a 6 second cast time, short duration, and especially low snare percentage, how often is the clicky snare actually better than just using a root when the goal is just to keep something from running? And if fear kiting using it, doesn't the low snare percentage make things difficult?

With the two Cazic symbols, you end up with the ability to fear both undead and animals with only a two second cast time. Shorter duration, but you end up spending less overall time casting for the same duration and it's not all at once.

Now while leveling up on Green, seeing as the best most people (including myself) are going to be running around in for a good while is mostly banded, fear kiting is going to be an ideal way to xp a lot of the time. It seems to me that grouping with somebody who has a much better snare and then using the symbols to save them mana on fears would generally produce better results than using the junk snare and having them run much faster. And between animals and undead there seems to be a pretty good coverage of levels all the way to 50.

So, to any Troll Shaman who have used them, thoughts on which symbols would prove more useful with the Green gearing and leveling situation in mind? Anything I'm saying here just flat out wrong when it comes to using the symbols in practice?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Not 100% sure on this but I think the second cazic symbol is broken (according to wiki) so you would only get the undead fear.

I would say if you plan on playing with others, especially others who have a way to snare - go for the fear.

If you plan on playing solo most of the time, the fear isn't gonna do you much good without a way to snare the mob, so I'd go for the innoruuk one. I have done this one on a shaman that is only level 24 and its super fun low levels, free dmg. Quest line is also pretty fun and you can get a halfling illusion mask that has 1 charge. so that's cool.

neither is going to change the game that much, more quality of life and the ability to do some silly things while leveling.

I've only played shaman to 44, but my main duo partner mains shaman and I usually play my bard with it, If I didn't have to twist fear while we fear kite, I'd be able to do a lot more dmg, so I might be bias to the fear.

Good luck and happy hunting mate.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Don’t forget fearing a rooted mob will interrupt a spell cast
Old 10-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Think long term. Snare is much more useful at 50 and beyond. It makes duoing with a melee, Enchanter or Mage in dungeons much easier. 6 seconds really isn't that bad of a cast time, and the snare itself is more than sufficient to stop runners without rooting them, which is really all you need it for.

Think about it like this: snare is, if not quite a class-defining ability, a majorly impactful and versatile spell that can significantly change your gameplay options. Animal and undead fear? Not so much.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

IMHO the worst part of the clinging symbol is the duration. Like 36 seconds or something.

If you ever plan to duo with a pure melee it’s pretty ace. Even after Kunark you don’t have to rely on the melee’s procs. If you can slow and keep something snared a monk or warrior can kill almost anything. The warrior being much less pull friendly. You can cheat in some cases with root but having both options is ideal.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t forget fearing a rooted mob will interrupt a spell cast
Really useful with only 2 second cast time, no recast time, no chance at fizzle. You can easily get 4 chances to interrupt ch. Quest is easier is easier too, the hardest part is getting faction. I'd imagine the animal one is much less useful since many animals are fast.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Troll Shaman Innoruuk is the meta min/max on p99.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Oh damn, I hadn't noticed that the wiki says the panic animal is broken. That's disappointing. I suppose there are enough undead around that Cazic is still in the running, but losing the animals definitely hurts his case.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh damn, I hadn't noticed that the wiki says the panic animal is broken. That's disappointing. I suppose there are enough undead around that Cazic is still in the running, but losing the animals definitely hurts his case.
Not broken... just did both Cazic symbol quests on my 60 shaman last week. For the second symbol you need to turn in your first symbol... the wiki is wrong. However he won't eat your stuff. You will just get text after handing in 3 things and can hand in the initiate symbol.

Still wish I went Innoruuk back in 2010 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Had no idea about symbol quests as I played a warrior and monk back in '99.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

With the whole old troll vs ogre thing, you can't go wrong either way, but nobody argues about Cazic vs Inny. Its pretty much a lock on Inny symbol.