Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Banned

grats 2 ya bud. keep it up and you will be happy.

Quitting smoking is ultra tricky, especially with how conditioned we become to certain stimuli. It was hardest for me to resist when I walked out of my college classrooms, having a cup of coffee, and harder even when I went out drinking at a bar (I permitted myself to smoke while drunk for a while - you wake up feeling like death and so eventually it becomes easier to resist)

As sirken asks: how do you avoid temptation during those times of craving (for me the exodus from class, for him the exodus from work)? Well, I would chew the shit out of pens. I literally bought dozens of boxes of pens just so I could destroy them in 10 minutes with my teeth. The chewing, holding something shaped like a cigarette, it all helped me a lot during those troubled times.

Another couple pieces of advice: it's easier if you just take it day by day. It's hard to say "i'm quitting cigarettes forever." it's scary. and it's fucking impossible. I don't smoke, but I still smoke a cigarette once in a blue moon, know what I mean? Isntead of panicking about not smoking ever, ever again, just ask "Can I go without a cigarette today?" obviously the answer is yes.

Then when you do fuck up, take it easy on yourself and get rid of the cigarettes ASAP. Odds are you were drunk, and everyone makes mistakes while drunk!

Good luck OP and all other quitters AKA casuals
Old 09-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(I permitted myself to smoke while drunk for a while - you wake up feeling like death and so eventually it becomes easier to resist)
That's the truth. I did the same and after you're nicotine free for a few months/years, a few cigarettes will make you feel terrible.

Here's a tip for those looking to quit smoking: stop being a pussy and just do it. It's like one week of feeling tons of craving and another week of slight irritability. Drink lots of water and do some exercise if you really need to let off stress. You probably need the exercise anyway.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody does the nicotine gum or patch anymore? Does it work?
My dad was an idiot, very medically challenged. He used to work "construction" as you guys would say - one day in the middle of summer he was trying to quit smoking and had one of those nicotine patches on his arm.

Well, that shit wasn't doing its job so well and he was still getting cravings... so he decided he'd have a cigarette anyway with the patch still on etc. Not sure how much longer afterwards that day but he had a heart attack (this is back in 1993ish). Factor in the heat etc, it could be a combination of things but he was a physically strong, healthy, active guy - so its hard to imagine it being unrelated. He survived it and lived another 14-15 years so that wasn't his end at least.

Anyway, just a quick "by the way"... don't use patches and continue smoking at the same time!
Last edited by Swish; 09-29-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunja [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still going strong. Man that shit has a stronghold on my mind. Kudos to anyone who has quit before. It's not easy
i quit smoking for 6 months, started back again. STUPID
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My dad was an idiot, very medically challenged. He used to work "construction" as you guys would say - one day in the middle of summer he was trying to quit smoking and had one of those nicotine patches on his arm.

Well, that shit wasn't doing its job so well and he was still getting cravings... so he decided he'd have a cigarette anyway with the patch still on etc. Not sure how much longer afterwards that day but he had a heart attack (this is back in 1993ish). Factor in the heat etc, it could be a combination of things but he was a physically strong, healthy, active guy - so its hard to imagine it being unrelated. He survived it and lived another 14-15 years so that wasn't his end at least.

Anyway, just a quick "by the way"... don't use patches and continue smoking at the same time!
The first time I tried to quit smoking I wore two patches and still smoked a couple times a day ... didn't work.

the second time I went cold turkey, it was rough for the first year and now, 8 years later I don't even think about them but maybe once a year I get a craving and it passes after 5 minutes or so.

Honestly I think the soda/caffine habit is worse to kick. I've tried a few time only to be met with migrane headaches so bad my doctor bought me a 12pack of Dew lol
Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

nicotine kick.. shits tough but possible. ive had to re-quit a few times, all cold turkey. once tried the nicorette and ended up with dual use issue. only cold turkey ever worked for me

everyone faces addiction in different ways though. my mind would go through hoops to twist logic in a way that makes it reasonable to buy them again. then whenever i did, just felt guilty bout the whole process and the smoke was not as good as i remember/expected.. i would end up keeping them 'just in case' it happens again... or 'just for when i have a few beers' and then bam, hooked again

happened to me twice now so beware this phenomena.

god forbid if it happens, just embrace the reality that it wasnt as good as it seemed like it was going to be and toss the fuckers.. then focus on the wasted money and start over from day 0

just my anecdote, only 6 months or so out from the latest but i think this one will stick. they just start to sound bad after a while... been there done that.. just glad nothing truly serious happened as a result (at least that I'm presently aware of...).. couple of close friend not so lucky.. good luck buddy
Old 09-30-2015, 03:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
seconded, this is sadly very common. "dual use." unfortunate way that intentions of quitting can result in amplified risk. vaping arguably (and some will try) no different than the patch, gum, or cigs themselves
Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quit 3.5 months ago. Different for everyone but at around 2 months or so stopped thinking about it so much, and just enjoyed feeling not so shitty all the time. Stick with it, and good work getting this far.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commercial grade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't vape as an alternative man, quit cold turkey if you can. It wouldn't surprise me if the vaporized shit ends up being worse for you..
Considering most vape liquid contains 3 or 4 known, non-toxic chemicals versus 100s (many very toxic) in a cig, I'll take my chances with vaping. Not like the vg or pg hasn't been used for decades in many other products deemed safe for human consumption.

Quit smoking a few years ago, mostly because I tried vaping and I found a lot of liquids I really liked the taste of.

I can certainly understand why people would want to quit cigarettes, but I will keep my coffee and vaping. Life is hard enough; no reason to make it harder without stimulants.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

I quit in 2008. Only smoked for 3 years or so.

It was really weird. Woke up one morning, had half of a cigarette and for some reason, although it tasted and felt the same as every cigarette before it, it tasted bad to me.

Haven't had a cigarette since.
Closed Thread