Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Question for raiding wizards

I see alot of post saying wizards aren't very good or wanted for xp grouping. Is raiding as a wizard any better? Are 60 wizards good raid dps on boss fights and how will it be in velious raids?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Yes, wizards are excellent in raids. Boss fights are fast in Kunark, so wizards can legit do the most DPS on them. Taking down a boss quickly means less risk of deaths/wiping. Velious I don't know; P99 is my first EQ raiding experience.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

Classic and Kunark raid mobs are all capped at 32k HPs (maybe a few hundred in change). That makes burning them down in <10sec possible, making Wizard DPS very good. In Velious, the cap comes off and mobs have a LOT more hitpoints. I'm not sure how reliable sources are, but raid mobs jump to >100000 hitpoints. Spell DPS (which mana regen cannot sustain permanently) drops in Velious and melee DPS becomes a larger proportion of overall raid DPS due to the larger hitpoint pools.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic and Kunark raid mobs are all capped at 32k HPs (maybe a few hundred in change). That makes burning them down in <10sec possible, making Wizard DPS very good. In Velious, the cap comes off and mobs have a LOT more hitpoints. I'm not sure how reliable sources are, but raid mobs jump to >100000 hitpoints. Spell DPS (which mana regen cannot sustain permanently) drops in Velious and melee DPS becomes a larger proportion of overall raid DPS due to the larger hitpoint pools.
This is pretty much correct, but I will point out that Wizards still do a signifcant amount of damage in Velious. In Kunark, even with full resist gear (500-1000 less mana), it's tough for us to burn through our mana pull on any given fight. In fact, I probably end most fights at 50% or just under. A good group of wizards can knock 50% or more off a lower HP Velious target given the length of the fights, so it's still very relevant.

But yeah, Kunark = Gods, Velious = Helpful, but ultimately on their way down the chain of importance.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

k whoever said wizies arent good for xp is bullshit.
wiz+wiz+clr+enc+ tank+wiz
is the best AE group i've ever been in.
and when not aeing wizzies can burn shit down so fast that it saves mana of the healer, enc, and the tank's hp and increases amopu nt of xp gained in x amount of time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Sarnak

I think most importantly: Play what you want to play, play what you find fun. EverQuest Classic/Kunark/Velious was all about having fun and not about min/max (that came later). People who will min/max and not let you in groups and give you shit are assholes.

Give me a raid full of rangers and paladins anytime, and we'll have some fun. Plus, most raids are zergged by the top 3 guilds anyway because of FTE battles.

So, play what you want.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards rock raid bosses. Classic and Kunark they burn stuff down fast. In Velious its a longer burn down, mixing in Concussions to lower aggro.

They are, of course, also good for mobilizing your guild quickly. And you can't do PoHate or PoSky without at least one ;-)
Closed Thread