Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

So is the point of the "passion project" to make them money?
Are those at the top making bank?

Are they not proud of what they've done here?

Why wouldn't they want to release it, and let people do what they want with it?

Unless, of course, somehow a decrease in server population someone equates to a loss of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, that's totally a reasonable request [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hey Khaleesi, can you spend nearly a decade of your life working on a passion project in your free time, and also recruit a bunch of other volunteers to help, then after all that time can you just give me all of your work, both so I can start a competing project and so that I can use it to cheat on your project?

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see fifty different fan-run servers that all have the quality of P99 (both in terms of staff and in terms of the database/code). But I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else, let alone them and their team of volunteers, to all work for years and then give me the fruit of their labor, especially since by definition that would entail giving up all of the secrets of the game.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is the point of the "passion project" to make them money?
Are those at the top making bank?

Are they not proud of what they've done here?

Why wouldn't they want to release it, and let people do what they want with it?

Unless, of course, somehow a decrease in server population someone equates to a loss of money
First off, the convention here is to put the quote you're responding to above your response, not below. Not a biggie, just saying.

As for your conspiracy theory, I suppose it's possible that Rogean, Nilbog, and many others all volunteered huge amounts of their time for nearly a decade to setup some sort of RMT (or other) scheme. If that scheme actually existed it would no doubt earn hundreds of dollars (which would of course be very enticing to Rogean, an IT worker who puts in 80+ hour weeks and likely has a net worth several times that of you and I combined). It's also possible they figured out how to hide said scheme from Daybreak, despite entering into a legal agreement with them. While no one knows the details of that agreement, you can be certain it included a "you're not allowed to make money off our IP" clause.

It's also possible that Rogean and Nilbog, like most of us, really liked classic EverQuest ... perhaps even a little more than most of us, and wanted to make that experience available to old-timers and new folks alike. As a result, they invested huge amounts of time, even more time to recruit and manage folks to get them to invest even more time, and initially even some of their own money, to create a server where that's possible.

Take your pick.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-04-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Banned

These people are what's wrong with the raid scene! I told you!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

the Loramax is on the case !
Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Banned

Oracle of the Tribunal tho, I like dat
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

he's right tho quit circlejerking

the project belongs to the owners, they're already "giving it away for free". a simple thank you would suffice.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Banned

Loramin speaks, i always listen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Keep doin your thang Loramin!
Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First off, the convention here is to put the quote you're responding to above your response, not below. Not a biggie, just saying.

As for your conspiracy theory, I suppose it's possible that Rogean, Nilbog, and many others all volunteered huge amounts of their time for nearly a decade to setup some sort of RMT (or other) scheme. If that scheme actually existed it would no doubt earn hundreds of dollars (which would of course be very enticing to Rogean, an IT worker who puts in 80+ hour weeks and likely has a net worth several times that of you and I combined). It's also possible they figured out how to hide said scheme from Daybreak, despite entering into a legal agreement with them. While no one knows the details of that agreement, you can be certain it included a "you're not allowed to make money off our IP" clause.

It's also possible that Rogean and Nilbog, like most of us, really liked classic EverQuest ... perhaps even a little more than most of us, and wanted to make that experience available to old-timers and new folks alike. As a result, they invested huge amounts of time, even more time to recruit and manage folks to get them to invest even more time, and initially even some of their own money, to create a server where that's possible.

Take your pick.
BAM turkey and ham
Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Kobold

Hey guys let's keep bashing the staff over shit we've read on the forums that nobody has evidence of. Whole lot's of imaginary mad in here
Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its crazy how many players discount the role the players make in making this project a success.

Obviously all the development improvements over the box emu version is the big draw but you don't get that same nostalgia feeling, which I'll argue is the reason most people play, on a box with 12 people.
players choose p99 because of its high quality emulation. this does not make us equal partners in the project by any stretch of the imagination.
Closed Thread