Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

Default Green - SK Weapon / Armor

Thinking of a Shadowknight Alt on Green.

Any SK only weapons i should be looking out for (like ghoulbane for pallies)? Or just any good 1h and 2h for SK in classic.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Dark Reaver is the only SHD only weapon.
1handers are nonexistant for SKs in classic era until PoSky and Blade of Ab. Find the fattest twohander you can.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Brut, what's your take on sword and board?

I rolled an Ogre SK, currently lv 22, got him a Combine 2H to start, then got a SBH. Then a PSD fell into my hands for cheap - slightly better damage output than the SBH and I get another 23 AC from the shield, so I'm rocking that. Now at some point a nice 2H is going to fall my way, I mean the Reaver is like a no brainer, but I was just wondering about group tanking and whether a faster swinging weapon and that extra AC might be better than more damage. My DPS is never going to be king and if I'm tanking that AC can come in handy for the healers. Not sure. I guess the extra DPS will take down the mob faster preventing damage that way, but if we're chain pulling the damage taken stays constant.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

As a rule, on a pre-expansion Shadow Knight I suggest using the best weapon available. Even in optimal circumstances the benefit gained by having a 15 AC shield is not going to be large. In a situation like you find yourself where a 1H happens to be the best you have, use it till you find something appreciably better. The shield simply means if your 1H and 2H are of similar quality then the 1H wins.

The shield will proportionally be of the most benefit right now while you're at low level. Enjoy it for now, upgrade the pair later on.

If you want to carry a shield around specifically for using it when acting as a group tank you can do so but I've never felt like it was necessary. If you really want to min-max your durability, pair it with a slow 1H like the crystalline blade so as to limit the number of ripostes you take once you're higher level and that becomes an issue.

Danth
Old 11-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brut, what's your take on sword and board?

I rolled an Ogre SK, currently lv 22, got him a Combine 2H to start, then got a SBH. Then a PSD fell into my hands for cheap - slightly better damage output than the SBH and I get another 23 AC from the shield, so I'm rocking that. Now at some point a nice 2H is going to fall my way, I mean the Reaver is like a no brainer, but I was just wondering about group tanking and whether a faster swinging weapon and that extra AC might be better than more damage. My DPS is never going to be king and if I'm tanking that AC can come in handy for the healers. Not sure. I guess the extra DPS will take down the mob faster preventing damage that way, but if we're chain pulling the damage taken stays constant.
Classic era best ratio 1h weapon an SK can even get is SSOY? And SK's don't get dual wield, so.

Pretty much what Danth said outside that. At this point of the game the group DPS isn't that outrageous when rogues are rocking 7dmg pokers, the SK does count. I guess you can make an argument about it if the group is really blowing up mobs that fast, but if they are, you aren't taking much damage then either?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thinking of a Shadowknight Alt on Green.

Any SK only weapons i should be looking out for (like ghoulbane for pallies)? Or just any good 1h and 2h for SK in classic.
Grobb Cleaver & forged 1H and Banded Armor. The cleaver you can do the turn in at lvl 1 (ogre/DE might need a few faction hits, high indifferent is required) and the difference between a full suit of Banded Vs Bronze is only 19 AC but twice the weight, basically a shield with the way AC is calculated with the emulators.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic era best ratio 1h weapon an SK can even get is SSOY?
It's actually the PSD with 8/23 vs SSOY 8/24 that's why I'm so in love with it. Good advice on the riposte, didn't think of that. I guess I'll just stick with 1H until I get a 2H that significantly outdamages the PSD then I'll just go 2H after that.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

What is PSD
Old 11-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Polished_Steel_Dirk
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

Forgot toothpick even exists, har. It's actually not bad since pre-Kunark the lower Piercing skillcap isn't a problem yet.