Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just saw it today. I thought it was fantastic. Hard to find a movie these days that isn't just a rehash of a rehash of an old idea. I do however see how some of the more simple minded individuals would say it was overly complicated and hard to follow. There are a lot of things going on in the movie, usually all at the same time. But I had no trouble whatsoever keep up. As for unbelievable characters, I totally disagree. At some points I found myself really caught up in the suspense directly due to the characters involved. I am not much of a reviewer, but I thought it was definitely worth the admission price.
I won't argue that it wasn't worth the admission price but I really don't understand the fuss. I guess movies are pretty bad these days so it is a relief to see something with at least a spark of originality but come on, Ellen Page? She makes you want to burst out laughing she's so unbelievable.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Orc

We all know that movies have been going on since the first video camera was invented. The first narrative film was "The Great Train Robbery" in 1903 so obviously film making is 107 years old even though it may not be the same style we are used to now. It's also obvious that movie makers ran out of ideas years ago and basically every movie is a rehash of another movie or idea, either that or a sequel. Sometimes they may even take an idea from 5 movies and put them into one. It is hard to be original but they try their best. Sure I can sit down in a theater and pick apart each movie and tell you what is wrong with it. I choose not to be that way, I did used to do that with movies and I never watched too many movies that I liked. The way that I ended up dealing with it was I started to go to the movies with a clear head and expect absolutely nothing from the movie. I also quit reading anything about a movie and would ignore others opinions and just form my own. Even if someone told me it was the worst movie they had seen in there entire lives I would go in and expect nothing and just try to get enveloped in the movie and I might come out thinking it was one of the best I have ever seen. In one sentence what Im trying to say is.... The less you expect the more you receive when it comes to movies (in my opinion).
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftsong_Lorekeeper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We all know that movies have been going on since the first video camera was invented. The first narrative film was "The Great Train Robbery" in 1903 so obviously film making is 107 years old even though it may not be the same style we are used to now. It's also obvious that movie makers ran out of ideas years ago and basically every movie is a rehash of another movie or idea, either that or a sequel. Sometimes they may even take an idea from 5 movies and put them into one. It is hard to be original but they try their best. Sure I can sit down in a theater and pick apart each movie and tell you what is wrong with it. I choose not to be that way, I did used to do that with movies and I never watched too many movies that I liked. The way that I ended up dealing with it was I started to go to the movies with a clear head and expect absolutely nothing from the movie. I also quit reading anything about a movie and would ignore others opinions and just form my own. Even if someone told me it was the worst movie they had seen in there entire lives I would go in and expect nothing and just try to get enveloped in the movie and I might come out thinking it was one of the best I have ever seen. In one sentence what Im trying to say is.... The less you expect the more you receive when it comes to movies (in my opinion).

Example of the usefulness of this mindset is the movie "Excalibur"

Watch it by yourself and (if its your genre/close to it) i guarantee it'll rate as top 5 fantasy movies you've ever seen.

Read reviews however and it sounds like absolute garbage horse sh*t that you'd never waste 2 hours of your life on.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Example of the usefulness of this mindset is the movie "Excalibur"

Watch it by yourself and (if its your genre/close to it) i guarantee it'll rate as top 5 fantasy movies you've ever seen.

Read reviews however and it sounds like absolute garbage horse sh*t that you'd never waste 2 hours of your life on.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/

7.4 outta 10 on IMDB - I think I *may* have seen that a while ago... hmm

I wanna see something this weekend - I might go check out Inception - anything else out good now? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/

7.4 outta 10 on IMDB - I think I *may* have seen that a while ago... hmm

I wanna see something this weekend - I might go check out Inception - anything else out good now? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bad thread to plug this type of movie, but "Dinner for Idiots" (maybe Morons?) came out today.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioisk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but come on, Ellen Page? She makes you want to burst out laughing she's so unbelievable.
lol okay I give you that one
Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Fire Giant

Bumping because I just saw the movie, wanted to avoid the thread. I would have to agree with the Ellen Page comment. She looks about 12 years old, and in a role like that where she's having a heartfelt conversation with a guy who's wife died I just don't buy it. An older looking actress might have pulled it off better.

Loved the movie though, but it reminds me of the The Matrix and Vanilla Sky.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loved the movie though, but it reminds me of the The Matrix and Vanilla Sky.
Pretty much everything is derivative in Scifi, its because once someone has got an original idea, it becomes public domain so to speak. The Matrix comes straight from the scifi of William Gibson (In the book Neuromancer he even calls the internet The Matrix, thats a 1984 book), from the Sprawl trilogy. Gibson is derivative of Phillip K. Dick and on and on.

Its like when people first started writing about spaceships, its accepted that the idea can be passed around to various sauces. Its the same with the concept of humans accessing a virtual reality with the brain. In this case accessing the mind of humans with technology.
Last edited by Taxi; 08-07-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioisk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for defining reasons for why people didn't like the movie as if it were required that people knew these things. I thought the movie was okay - some of the reasons you mentioned - but mostly because the movie tried to be more serious/emotional then it really was. The music, now Nolan knows how to incorporate sound.
Music/sound was for sure one of my favorite aspects of the movie.
Last edited by Majuna; 08-09-2010 at 01:09 AM..
Closed Thread