Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hmm maybe there is some truth in that because in eq2 there is a kind of big kraken thingy and his name is Leviathan, hes also in a lake or in the sea . Hes a raidmob and needed for VP acces. My favorite eq2 raidmob, very complicated to kill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I eff'ing HATED Levi!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- The Kraken

Can't go by without mentioning the Kraken in the Ocean of Tears. Now keep in mind there were other Kraken sightings, including in Lake Rathetear and Erud's Crossing. But, most information on the forums concerned OOT.

Just like some paranormal creatures in real life, there were plenty of sightings but no proof (why no simple screenshot?!). Entering OOT for the first time, I recall being paranoid the Kraken would eat my poor character.

Eventually the consensus was that the Kraken existed in Beta, hence how people came up with this idea, but it was taken out after launch.

But here's the kicker. Despite claims that it was in Beta, there are still no screenshots in existence. So, nobody even knows what monster graphic the "Kraken" used. And if there were no screenshots in Beta, it begs the question... did it even exist in the first place?

My theory was no. It was complete bunk. It spread viral across EQ forums but it had no weight behind it, or else a screenshot from beta would have been procured. But please prove me wrong, if you have a screenshot show me!
An alternate version of this was Megalodon. The rumor goes that he was a giant shark in beta that swam around Lake Rathe. He was the only mob in the game that, if it killed you, would cause permadeath. 99% sure this is nothing more than a rumor. I do still have a copy of that badly shopped screenshot of Kraken in Lake Rathe though. I believe Megalodon eventually was reintroduced into the game as part of the Beastlord or Shaman epic 2.0

Quote:
Mayong Mistmoore

Another legendary myth like the Kraken. You know of the foreboding tower as you enter Mistmoore? Well few knew the secret to getting up there. Those that did told tales of the ruler of Mistmoore dwelling within. This sent chills into this level 20 noob visiting the dungeon for the first time.

Mistmoore even had his own mythical loot-table. He dropped the Fanged Skull Stiletto. I forget the stats, but it was really good.

Same with the Kraken, Mistmoore was an apparent beta-spawn. But, just like the Kraken, I've seen no proof of a Mistmoore NPC even in Beta. The only time Mistmoore has ever appeared is during a couple of GM events back in the day. Mistmoore was a GM controlled dark elf I believe, who opened up a can of whoop ass.

Otherwise, I don't think Mistmoore was ever a static NPC spawn with a loot-table. Only Garton Viswin (?) spawned in the tower. His rare was the Chestplate of the Dark Flame, which was also mythical in its own right.
He was in Beta as a mob, and I think even the first few weeks of live, but his pathing and aggro radius was so screwed up that anytime anyone got near the tower (close to zone-in) he would aggro and cause a massive train. The devs either couldn't or were too lazy to fix, so they removed him from the game. A GM would occasionally play him for Halloween events and hand out Fanged Skull Stilleto.

Quote:
- The Lavastorm Nightmare

A rare instance when an EQ cryptozoologist discovers the mythical rumors are actually true. Indeed, even before nightmares were introduced when PoF launched, the graphic existed in Lavastorm Mountains as the UBER rare spawn -- the level 20 black horse of death.

The nightmare dropped some kind of Nightmare Hide, graphics of a bear skin, and it procced a spell when you right clicked it. Playing EQ for over 6 years, I only saw the nightmare ONCE. To this day I'm curious if it had any undiscovered even rarer drops. I'd guesstimate the Nightmare was 5x rarer than the Terrorantula
Not THAT rare, I was wandering around Lavastorm on this server in my mid 30s or 40s when I got aggroed by this completely out of the blue as I was running to SolB. He kept me permablind and I didn't have my spell gem slots memorized, so he actually ended up killing me. I believe he was light blue at the time. Took a good 45 minutes to find the corpse because I didn't /loc. Very embarrassing.

And don't forget the rumor that killing the King of Ak'anon would spawn a giant Clockwork Dragon.

Or that collecting all of the keys to Tower of Frozen Shadow would unlock some super secret 8th floor if you clicked the right place.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He was in Beta as a mob, and I think even the first few weeks of live, but his pathing and aggro radius was so screwed up that anytime anyone got near the tower (close to zone-in) he would aggro and cause a massive train. The devs either couldn't or were too lazy to fix, so they removed him from the game. A GM would occasionally play him for Halloween events and hand out Fanged Skull Stilleto.
A lead-GM admin/developer actually played Mayong Mistmoore every year on his son's birthday. He lost his son (death) in a car accident or something terrible, and stopped doing it a year later because it was too painful. It was all posted on Harpy's Head Tavern back in the day. I never got to see it -- mistmoore scared the bejesus out of me due to trains.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Sarnak

One mystery that someone might be able to clear up for me was why Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher was removed from the game. This was one of the coolest looking Velious weapons and it was only available for a very limited time.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The rumors at the time were that the Knockback proc effect was being used to exploit by moving mobs or something of that nature. I also heard that it was used to launch people onto the roof In Mistmoore, but again these were only rumors.

Would be great to find out the true reasons such a unique looking weapon was removed from the game.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Sarnak

Enjoy.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorp...ts-rumors.html
Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

The OOT Kraken is ridiculous. Everyone knows the sea monster was in Timorous Deep.

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Holy smokes, over 100 pages in that link...that is some serious reading right there. Good stuff, thanks.
Closed Thread