Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Aviak

The guy on the left is from Kansas, not California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Personally on prop 8 I think they should of went for equality in the other direction, rather than legalize gay marriage they should of made all marriage illegal. Marriage should not be a political or legal institution.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrio40 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally on prop 8 I think they should of went for equality in the other direction, rather than legalize gay marriage they should of made all marriage illegal. Marriage should not be a political or legal institution.
A government incentive for individuals pairing up has proven to be good for the people as a whole. I think that domestic partnerships should continue for that reason, but I agree that it shouldn't be called marriage, or have anything to do with any religion.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

One thing to stop and consider. If straight marriages went up for a vote, how many men do you think would vote to ban it? Im just sayin.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrio40 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The guy on the left is from Kansas, not California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
My first thought was that it was staged for the media (it's a setup -n- pose flat out). At least south, I never saw a poster like that, it's not like that at ALL. It's not just gay marriage they are protesting/voting against, it opens the door for about anything. But typical, another judge ruling from the bench, which should be alarming no matter what side or non-side you are on. We have - had democratic voting process, which seems to be falling apart every post-November.
Last edited by Daywolf; 08-05-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
But typical, another judge ruling from the bench
Ummm...I think they are generally expected to rule from the bench. Perhaps you meant legislate from the bench?

Please think about how the civil rights movement would have worked out in the South if equal rights for blacks were simply left to a vote. A democratic process shouldn't be a blank check for the slimmest majority to oppress any minority it chooses, and that's why we have a judiciary empowered to correct such injustices.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extunarian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
slimmest majority
7 million slimes in this case, eh? Ruling the state/country from a bench is epic fail (absence of democratic voting process). So go on with your faulty comparisons and petty name calling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Slimmest is the superlative form of slim. I see how you were confused though, as you thought I wrote slimiest. I also re-read my post and I really don't see any name calling there.

A judge issues rulings from the bench, i.e. they 'rule from the bench.' You clearly meant to imply they change or create laws from the bench, otherwise known as 'legislating from the bench.'

And yes, in this case the democratic voting process did take place, however the amendment to the constitution of California was deemed unconstitutional by a Federal judge being guided by the Federal constitution. In fact, the reason the California constitution even needed to be amended was because the CA supreme court said a law banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

The democratic process still has another avenue - we could just amend the Federal constitution to ban these unions, and then the courts could not overturn these laws. See? Checks and balances.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
7 million slimes in this case, eh? Ruling the state/country from a bench is epic fail (absence of democratic voting process). So go on with your faulty comparisons and petty name calling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fuck you and democracy. Democracy is the leadership by the ignorant masses, and I for one have had quite enough of that bullshit, given that our ignorant masses are much more ignorant (and massive.. ..c wat i did ther?) than most. About time someone with some power stood up and said "this is fucking retarded."
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fuck you and democracy. Democracy is the leadership by the ignorant masses, and I for one have had quite enough of that bullshit, given that our ignorant masses are much more ignorant (and massive.. ..c wat i did ther?) than most. About time someone with some power stood up and said "this is fucking retarded."
Have to agree with Hasbin on this one.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That sounds like some 1984 stuff right there.
Closed Thread