Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaaflow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually thought that was the generally accepted interpretation of 1984 tbh. What with the suddenly switching from being at war with eurasia to eastasia and "we have always been at war with eastasia" propaganda. Just manufactured drama to keep everyone scared/in line. I never did read it for a class though, so I didn't do a whole ton of deep thought on it.
/derail
/em continues to derail

Sort of. The war itself was real but it "ceased to exist" due to it's perpetuation. It was the permanence of war that guaranteed the permanence of order. Hence the slogan "War is Peace".

Let's not forget that atomic bombing was ceased due to it's ability to cause an inbalance in the powers which neither of the super-states wanted. This is leaked information in the book, not common knowledge. Therefor it is more than likely what Orwell considered the truth.

What's more open to interpretation is how the three super-states were actually related. At the very least they all shared a similar idea of how to keep their people under control regardless of whether or not it was one super-state.
But that's what's so great about these older novels, that it lets the reader think about it instead of simply pasting the answer to every question on the last few pages.
Last edited by guineapig; 08-06-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaaflow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I too hope that you can one day marry the man of your dreams Hasbin.
+1
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

I love lamp.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

you must love big brother

it is not enough to obey him; you must love him
Closed Thread