Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylan295 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some math with my fat fingered data entry.

High AC:
Total Damage: 3942
Total Swings: 98
Average Damage Per Swing: 40.22
Median Damage Per Swing: 26.5

Low AC:
Total Damage: 6251
Total Swings: 95
Average Damage Per Swing: 65.8
Median Damage Per Swing: 66
This seems like the punchline here - thanks for doing the math! Looks like AC has a pretty big impact, AGI maybe not so much (not even sure if 3 misses is statistically significant..)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

AC has always had a pretty big impact; one that isn’t always as immediately noticeable unless you know what to watch for. While 600s to 1300s is a ludicrously huge jump it still demonstrates ongoing value for a class that has the lowest tier of post soft-cap diminishing returns.

For any melee class, priest, or tank the returns on ac at such a jump would be much more dramatic.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Fire Giant

It would be nice to have a test that separates AGI effect and AC effect if that's at all possible. I think AGI is still a bit of a mystery stat where there is a lot of speculation and "knowledge" but not much data.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:55 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AC has always had a pretty big impact; one that isn’t always as immediately noticeable unless you know what to watch for. While 600s to 1300s is a ludicrously huge jump it still demonstrates ongoing value for a class that has the lowest tier of post soft-cap diminishing returns.

For any melee class, priest, or tank the returns on ac at such a jump would be much more dramatic.
Interesting, is the soft cap for AC on caster classes known?

I guess either way (at least at my level) it doesn't affect gearing decisions THAT much since I'm still prioritizing HP and CHA anyway, but still good to know. Makes Orb of the Infinite Void and other nice items available outside of raids that much more appealing.

Zarza implies that having some minimum mana pool is important also, in what scenario? I don't gear for int AT ALL and have never had an issue with mana.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Basically enchanters (even without FTx) have plenty of means to increase their mana flow and you wont ever really run out unless crazy stuff happens or you're the only enchanter at the raid. 4k is just a good goal post for mana. I sit at 4015 mana w/ GoB which I find pretty healthy and more than enough most of the time.

The ac results are nice but like Troxx said , 600 to 1300 is a pretty insane jump. For perspective, your average enchanter probably has ~500 ac (rough guess). Iirc I believe I have something like 800ac on my relatively decent geared enchanter.

My personal opinion is to take a balanced approach and require as little gear swaps as possible (ideally none tbh) but enchanters pretty much funnel into a particular set regardless of how you're building your enchanter. The only pieces of disparity I really see is shoulder slots (perception vs viik vs windwalker) , legs (silver chains vs iki vs SS silk) , neck (aary vs valtron)and belt (tunare vs Dain head) and everything else has a pretty clear BiS item. (Imho)

The HP / AC enchanter build is viable and great! I would love to have the dkp to try it out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But theres a very good case to be made for a balanced approach (which really isnt all that different tbh)

But just in case you ever feel like your gear sucks , I solo'd this chardok named while i was waiting for a rez in PoG the other day [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://imgur.com/ajR0yRN
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty dangerous one to solo naked, too, since he does nuke pretty hard. Smoked my shaman a few times because he's got terrible resists.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks, Zarza, for putting some numbers to these AC values everyone argues about.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No it didn't.

A few years AC did almost nothing, comically nothing. Going from near naked to full cobalt etc in kunark was imperceptible parsing difference. Since it was 'fixed' it's overpowered as hell.

AC now is beyond good, its god stat.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Interesting test but thats such a small sample size that its essentially meaningless
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting test but thats such a small sample size that its essentially meaningless
The difference in the numbers is so stark there can’t be any argument that there is a difference and it’s significant with those AC numbers. The better question in terms of itemization is when it makes sense to go for more AC or HP.

I’m personally still on the HP bandwagon because I believe enchanters generally get killed in edge scenarios. Mitigation helps long term, but I can go hours without getting hit. My problem is that when I’m getting hit, I usually messed up badly. In those situations, if I’m taking multiple max hits, it’s good game if I don’t have enough HP.

I’d also suggest that almost no one has access to Zarza’s itemization - Eberron is probably in the top 5 of active enchanters regarding the quality of their gear - and he’s a FAR cry from this AC because to get to that level of AC requires serious DKP and DKP dedication for items that normally end up on a melee.
Closed Thread