Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Aviak

Default The cost of the Warrior path

Hi guys,

I don't post much, but I do play quite a bit. Have been burning through alts for about 4 months (Nec, Mage, Ench) and now Warrior. Just hit level 29 and I'm not in completely terrible gear, but obviously at 29 I'm not littered with in end-game no-drops.

My question is about the cost of being a warrior. It is a really fun class for me, and yes that's all the game is about: fun. But it becomes less fun when I see that tanking anything outside of the old world seemingly requires level 50+ gear.

Is that part of the design of the game? Is it generally accepted that you must first level a character to 60 so that you can afford to tank?

Rough gear summary: HP+AC jewelry, Cobalt boots, Crafted most everywhere else, SCHW, Venomous Axe + Random offhand.

I have been farming clickies as they are level-appropriate (Rolfron Zek stun idols etc). The main problem I'm having is that, for example, single pull blue-con Tizmaks in GD crunch me down pretty quickly, and my duo partners always have to blow 50% of their mana pool to keep me alive. I can't imagine this gets better in roughly the same gear at level 40+.

"Just get your Thurg armor MQ'd" is one response I've gotten from Warriors but, again, is that the intent of the game? To be twinked or not tank at all?

Thanks for any input
Old 04-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned

I think people typically speak about what's ideal.

If you want an easy, breezy experience and access to high-level raiding/tanking, then yeah it's going to cost a bit to play at that level.

But that doesn't mean it's required.

People will say "You need 100,000 plat to invest in a warrior".

No you don't. Get out of here, elitist SCUM! (kicks guy into hole)

Just play what you like, man.

I mained a Rogue. I didn't twink him - I didn't start a Druid first.

I actually DID my Epic, rather than pay for it like these silver spoon daddy's boys out there.

You'll appreciate your accomplishments more too.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

My warrior on red soloed to 40 in rawhide armour. No joke.

Sure a 'decent' duo (not tank and spank, but pet based) could churn through whites and yellows. That is not the strategy for a warrior.

You find the highest level mobs that your armour lets you mitigate decently against and you kill them. This means you want a substantial level difference between you and what you are fighting. Although the XP/kill will be much lower, the mobs will have less hp so you can kill more of them. Compounded by your out levelled attack skills you land more hits and hit for greater damage, further speeding your kills.

I suggest staying away from kunark and celious mobs. They tend to have more hp than their old world counterparts.

At 29 you may be able to solo ogre guards or skeletons in Najena or group up to do SolA. There is also a fire scale croc in lava storm you might be able to get XP off.

You sound like you have done a lot of research; have you worked out how to bandage without interrupting your melee attacks yet?
Last edited by Jimjam; 04-08-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Aviak

Leveling will most likely make your issues go away. I'm running roughly the same gear besides starting with low plat filler items besides crafted until I went with better upgrades. I had spent 29-34 in Highpass Hold on Goblin camp, then a very boring level 35-36 at mistmoore Castle entrance, then soloed or duo'ed at Overthere ramp from 37-44 (high levels will buff you kindly as they are just standing around). These places didn't require insane gear whatsoever. Of course it helps, but it doesn't mean you need thurg plate to play a warrior.

Granted, I do have a 52 necro who is a farm machine for my warrior which got me to the point of having velium HP+AC jewelry, cobalt boots, SCHW, Frostbringer, Venomous axe, etc.

If you were starting completely fresh as a warrior, you would have a pretty hard time getting that base level of gear. But it would still come. It would just be more difficult and perhaps even more fun!
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1asdfasdf1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi guys,

I don't post much, but I do play quite a bit. Have been burning through alts for about 4 months (Nec, Mage, Ench) and now Warrior. Just hit level 29 and I'm not in completely terrible gear, but obviously at 29 I'm not littered with in end-game no-drops.

My question is about the cost of being a warrior. It is a really fun class for me, and yes that's all the game is about: fun. But it becomes less fun when I see that tanking anything outside of the old world seemingly requires level 50+ gear.

Is that part of the design of the game? Is it generally accepted that you must first level a character to 60 so that you can afford to tank?

Rough gear summary: HP+AC jewelry, Cobalt boots, Crafted most everywhere else, SCHW, Venomous Axe + Random offhand.

I have been farming clickies as they are level-appropriate (Rolfron Zek stun idols etc). The main problem I'm having is that, for example, single pull blue-con Tizmaks in GD crunch me down pretty quickly, and my duo partners always have to blow 50% of their mana pool to keep me alive. I can't imagine this gets better in roughly the same gear at level 40+.

"Just get your Thurg armor MQ'd" is one response I've gotten from Warriors but, again, is that the intent of the game? To be twinked or not tank at all?

Thanks for any input
Finding normal human beings on your adventure to play with will put an end to all this talk.. I could care less what anybody in my group is wearing... And so will any normal, healthy player.. Anybody who speaks up, or says otherwise in your group can kick rocks.. Swifly remove yourself from those people, and find new friends.. There are plenty of amazing people on P99!

Besides- If some dude is leveling his 5th BiS alt, and is complaining, then he should donate something to your cause, or forever hold his peace.. The hell is somebody doing making a twink and complaining about others gear.. Why the hell do you need all those extra stats if you aren't gonna utilize them? Sorry you had to ask this question man. Like you said- This game is for pure fun, why people choose to take it in a different direction and get all serious is beyond me..
Last edited by bigjeff100; 04-08-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Banned

My warrior is stagnant at 48, I found it hard to find a group in this range. With the melee abilities stagnant for a few levels soloing is hard. Groups in KC don't want you and SolB is very hit or miss.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

You don't have to do anything, but those people who say you need a lot of cash for a warrior are saying it for good reasons.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My warrior is stagnant at 48, I found it hard to find a group in this range. With the melee abilities stagnant for a few levels soloing is hard. Groups in KC don't want you and SolB is very hit or miss.
CoM moat/arena can get you through this. Lguk groups are possible too. Also soloing bloodgills should be very doable on a warrior until 51 with pretty shitty gear. 6 of them are single pullable and stock up on those bandaids.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1asdfasdf1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Just get your Thurg armor MQ'd" is one response I've gotten from Warriors but, again, is that the intent of the game?
The basic intent of the game, especially on a melee type, is to be doing stuff in full or near-full groups. In that sort of setting your Warrior will give adequate performance. Near-full crafted with some cobalt, haste, and kunark/velious weapons is perfectly fine for the level.

If you want to duo, try to do so with somebody who can cast slow and you should do fine. Trying to tank unslowed monsters in only a duo means absorbing a lot of damage. That's true for anyone. Un-debuffed monsters in this game tend to ruin similarly-leveled players in melee except at very low levels.

Danth
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

If you compare yourself to the average warrior of your level back in the day, I can pretty much guarantee you will have far superior gear. They did just fine, and so can you. If you are getting wrecked by a blue con, it's probably only 1 or 2 levels below you. Levels are FAR more important than gear on p99. Try to fight things that are as low level as possible but are still dark blue.
Closed Thread