Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you mean vanguard: saga of heroes?
I'm sad Vanguard wasn't better than it was. Such great ideas.

I loved the idea of the seamless, explorable world. I loved the idea of the diplomacy system, and the house owning/customization, etc.

But yeah, man I didn't enjoy actually playing it, lol.

[Famalin Wisdomseed - High Elf Wizard - Quellious - 99 to 01]
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly have no idea how someone could play EQ at age 7. Seems like it would be massively confusing and frustrating for an average kid at that age.
I started my first character when I was around 6 or 7 after watching my dad play. I picked a Druid and I think the highest I ever got was level 9. You’re right about the more intricate functions of the game. Those I never really learned till years later but you can kinda figure out melee and spells and commands if you’re a decently smart child and know how to read
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Large Rat

I started in EQ back before Kunark came out and played on and off until WoW came out. I only ever got my druid main to 55, but had 4-5 other chars from low to mid 40's.

I played Shards of Dalaya on and off for many years, starting back when it had hundreds of people online at a time. It is in all honesty a very good upgrade of many of the mechanics that were/are SUPER frustrating in older EQ/P99, but as it is a custom world it's "not EQ", so most people weren't interested in checking it out. Now it's basically dead but a lot of questionable decisions by the newer devs over the years helped that along...but this is not a place to harp.

I started on P99 a couple years ago, only in the last few months have I started playing more often. I was unsure of whether I wanted to start a THIRD EQ game from the start but I now have a 31 monk main and am enjoying myself. This is a great community.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

I started in 1999, saw the game as a top 10 seller at CompUSA. I thought the graphics looked poor at best compared to other games that were out, so I waited to buy and I talked to a co-worker who had played. He made it sound like a great game; thousands of people all together playing in a gigantic world. I bought EQ and I made a druid in Surefall and ran out to Qeynos Hills to adventure.. and was promptly killed by a Gnoll pup (lvl4 vs me lvl1). I got hooked immediately.
Eventually I had two groups of friends, EQ friends and Asheron's Call friends. I played between the two games regularly depending on who was on first. We all tried WoW at some point when it came out but pretty much all of us went back to EQ or AC.
After PoP my SK was largely nullified and no one wanted to group with me anymore, so I solo'ed most of 61 to 65 and after dinging 65 quit EQ in spite. I was tired of the game, it wasn't fun anymore it was hours and hours of work just to level.
When P99 came out I heard about it and tried my game again, I still had the original EQ install CD's. Of course they didn't work as I needed at least Titanium install. Got everything running and then realized P99 was kinda like live EQ in 1999 but different.
The community of people in P99 is way higher class of people than those who played on live, still there is a way of doing things on P99 versus what worked on live so it does require playing and learning what the P99 server considers good. (i.e. the level up via what zones at what levels.)
Last edited by sacman08; 04-20-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Aviak

A friend of mine (who I had moved away from in '92), tracked the progress of the game on Usenet for years, and both (eventually) got on the game the day it opened. I created a human rogue and he created a human cleric. At some point during the first week we got into an argument, because he was obsessed with knowing when I was poisoned, even the weakest of poisons, and we got into an argument when I stopped telling him about the short duration poisons that did next to no damage, so that he wouldn't waste all his mana curing them. He basically just rage quit that day, and I never saw or heard from him again, LOL.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.
Asheron's Call was ahead of its time in terms of being zoneless and having better character customization, but the game itself was quite empty and didn't have as many interesting design details.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Fire Giant

Started EQ here!

Played WoW from classic to pandas, then some friends dragged me here.

Enjoyed the grind rather than quest hubbing, resource management, high-stakes cause and effect, and spell particles!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlpstrtkng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started my first character when I was around 6 or 7 after watching my dad play. I picked a Druid and I think the highest I ever got was level 9. You’re right about the more intricate functions of the game. Those I never really learned till years later but you can kinda figure out melee and spells and commands if you’re a decently smart child and know how to read
Yeah that was it pretty much. I played a mage and was explained that i summon my pet and click this button to make it fight and i cast this spell on the thing im trying to fight and if i get in trouble run to guards , so on so forth.

Made it to level 20! Probably by staying in crushbone for way too long
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 04-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Orc

I started in 1999 three weeks after launch. Played on Tribunal sever, my guild Vis Veres.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Kobold

Thumbs up

I played from way back in 1999 on and off all the way up until December 2018. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Played on Tarew Marr which is the Drinal server now after the merges.

How the game has changed over the years.

I even tried the Phinny server (Daybreaks old school progression server). What a joke they are. No corpse run needed, only need to go to your corpse if you want the xp back, as all items are on you when you spawn. Faster leveling, global channels, LFG features, shared bank, in game market place to purchase xp potions etc and so on.

But seem to be a great money grab.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I quit in Dec 18 after another piss poor DB expansion release, just another few Kunark revamp zones at level 110 with more AAs added. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I joined the forums here in 2017 looking for old guild mates that maybe playing here, but have not found any as yet.

I googled p99 after trying to find a new game to try. But, nothing caught my eye, apart from wanting to try p99. Its been almost 5 months of casual playing now.

Oh, how much of the original EQ you forget when live has changed so much over the years. No maps, no merc to rez you, having to find groups, ports, rezzes, friends/mate to help you adventure.

How much I have missed this on live. I have the itch once more. I play a 60 High Elf Cleric who is Epic'ed now. Tagging along killing GODS and so on once more [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]