Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Large Bat

Default Lull mez and charms - how do they work

Hi all, im a level 40 enchanters and with my self buff I can get my CHA to 196. I usually am grouped with friends in a trio of, ENC MNK SHM. and most of the time when we fight i use a charmed mob

I was curious as to how these 3 types of spells work in reguards to my CHA and to the rank of the spell.

What I know and believe is to be true that is ever 6 second my charmed mob can attempt to break it, based on his magic resist level, actual level, and my CHA.
Is this true?

it might also be worth mentioning that if I am going to keep a charmed for a bit, I tash the target as well as get it maloed from the SHM.

My other question is that, even though my CHA is high (or at least I consider it high) at 196, often mobs will resist my lulls, making so I would have to cast it 4-5 times before getting it to stick and it often dents my mana pool where rooting it could be more efficient. Im currently using level 20 Spell:calm to do the lulling and I have yet to pick up the level 39 Pacify.

Are the constant resists of my lull due to not using the highest rank I can get? and if this is the case how come I am still able to use my level 8 Spell: root effectively. Should i be using my newest rank of root as well?

any imput would be great thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

The lull line of spells just resists a lot, and a critical resist will aggro everything. Higher CHA = less chance of critical resist, but not sure if it lowers outright resists. Level of the spell matters in that it allows you to lull higher level monsters but the level 20 version Calm works up to level 50 mobs so you shouldn't need to use Pacify.

Honestly I'd just have the monk pull.

For root spells, the level of the spell doesn't matter for resists - all that changes is the duration, cast time, and mana use. So there are times you may use all 4 different roots for different situations. Root spells are broken into 2 categories - short cast/shorter duration and long cast/longer duration. There's always a chance a mob can break root every tick and when it takes damage that's another chance.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Last edited by Man0warr; 02-06-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Large Bat

awesome thanks for the info!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Learn to use and time your low level mezz and roots appropriately. Once you do so you will have an easier and easier time in dungeons as you level up. If you use your most current mezzes and roots (outside of very special circumstances) you will go oom very quickly.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

i find immobilize to often last its full duration, so i tend to use it most.

with the mez spell, what you said is true, however i do not know if its on a 6 second rotation or not. i thought it was longer.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Mezz doesn't have a chance of breaking early (at least on 1-50 mobs).

I find immobilize heavy on mana for the duration. Using lowest level roots in most situations gives me the most flexibility with mana use. Sometimes I have to cast it too many times but I find the duration is acceptable for most encounters.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

If you are in a good group that kills mobs timely you often don't need to root/mez something for longer than 48 or even 16 seconds.

Anything more is just a waste of mana.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

The other advantage to the low level mezzes are the chances at mem blurring. My enc is L30, and I don't bother memorizing memory blur because the L4 mez is reliable enough. Soothe + L4-Mez = reset mob. Good way to heal pets and get rid of pesky adds.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The other advantage to the low level mezzes are the chances at mem blurring. My enc is L30, and I don't bother memorizing memory blur because the L4 mez is reliable enough. Soothe + L4-Mez = reset mob. Good way to heal pets and get rid of pesky adds.
This.

It literally has the same failure rate as regular mem blur at half the cost so you're still validating it's use at 2-3 casts. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Orc

Believe you are wrong about the calm level cap. I use it every where I go including places like hs south and I know those mobs are 50+ and pacify is buried deep in my spell book having not seen the light of day in a long long time.

The biggest reason calm wins over pacify is calms duration is 3 min. Pacify is like 30 seconds.

As for mezzes I will echo what others have said. L4 mez is amazing so is L16
AoE mez and once you get it fetter is just stupid good (I like root more than the average person so maybe disregard this )

Always use the lowest charm possible for a mob. Higher level charm only increases level cap, not duration.

Anyway. Back to work.

-haijynx.
Closed Thread