Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Actions taken irl seem to have more harm potential, as it's more than just time and personal feelings at stake. And when you play a game it's widely understood that there is some suspension of realism that (one would think) lessens the impact of immoral acts taken against a player. Obviously it's silly to think of acts taken against an NPC as being immoral so we can probably just ignore that part of this.

Guess it kinda depends on what the playerbase in any given community deems as being immoral. On VZ it was "immoral" to attack people who were still engaged in fights with NPCs, so I always politely waited for them to finish before murdering them in cold blood. The other 3 servers were not like that. If it was widely acceptable behavior to train, ninjaloot, delevel enemies, corpse camp, etc. then I wouldn't have any qualms with doing so.

We can't ignore the large sociological piece of this puzzle or the weird relative nature of morality.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And when you play a game it's widely understood that there is some suspension of realism that (one would think) lessens the impact of immoral acts taken against a player.
What madness are you talking about?

This guy doesn't think this is real, guys!
Pfft!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think people are literally the cute little gnome girl they are playing and in my mind I am truely hanging out with a gnome.

Then the gnome is like, Cutieytoes tells the group: Sup sluts. Want me to pull or you bitches got it?
I think this is why nobody took me seriously when I would tank with my gnome paladin, they didn't think I could do it even if my stats/gear were better than something like a troll or ogre lol.

As for the OP question, I'm a generally nice person so I tend to act that way all the time. If I played a pvp game I'd support my friends.

I also don't feel right killing friendly npcs like guards.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Fire Giant

i can roleplay a bit sometimes, and have my characters act in-game slightly different than real me, but in the end it is just me anyway, and my RL morals take the lead. i can understand how for many, inhibition means they are "nicer" in-game than in real life, maybe because in real life they are shy to be nice. but i don't really have this issue and i'm pretty much the same IRL and in-game.

i am pretty sure that players doing asshole things in-game are also assholes in real life.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

I think everyone's does in some way, shape or form.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Sarnak

I think the only honest answers are

"No."

And

"Probably mostly."
Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

I try to follow the golden rule in game and in real life. I always tip for a port. If I'm on my Wiz and someone needs a CR port and I'm available, I port them. If I see a struggling new player, I give them some plat and any items I have laying around. If I'm in a group and an item drops that is an upgrade for someone in the group, I either won't roll or will roll and then give it to them if I win. I regard these things as fairly simple courtesy.

Several years ago in the tunnel (pre-Velious) someone handed me a bag filled with high end twink gear, including a Fungi and a RBG. At the time I don't even think I had 10k plat to my name. I wasn't sure what to do, but a couple minutes later the guy frantically sent me a tell asking if I had the bag. I gave it back to him. Was I tempted to keep it? Of course. But I knew deep down I wouldn't get any satisfaction from using those items if I acquired them in such a dishonest manner.

I try to always keep in mind that ultimately all these pixels we collect really don't matter. The only thing that matters is if you feel good about playing the game. Because otherwise what's the point? And being generous, helping people and generally trying to be a positive influence feels much better than being a selfish, pixel-obsessed asshole.

Thankfully, I know I'm far from the only person who thinks this way. There are many selfless, generous players on the server. Shoutout to them.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

In real life, I do magic tricks, and get naked constantly in front of massive amounts of people like every other day for the fun of it.

In game, my characters kill thousands of monsters while wearing armor, and I am overly sarcastic to an asshole level to people because they wont be able to punch me in the brain.

So the answer is I don't know man.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 PM
Sarnak

I clicked on this thread thinking I'm gona wax so sarcastic on this one, then I read comments and saw I was out of my league.
I tip my hat to the trolls much higher than I.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:27 AM
Kobold

I would say my morality is pretty consistent. I am a colossal dick to people who deserve it, and kind to the point of self-detriment to those who need it. I don't steal, ever, but I do lie when necessary, though rarely solely for my own benefit. I gain far more joy from helping others than from helping myself, but I gain the most joy from harming those who would happily harm me or others.

Most of all I never ever give a damn what others think about my morality ��
Closed Thread