Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hada79 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thomacles I appreciate your exuberance, but that isn't what I propose. I do not want shared bank, map and other tools to make the game easier.

After reading your post, maybe I am only advocating for hotbars, and not simply QoL features.

Shared bank makes the game easier but more hotbars don't?

What?

I'm certainly on board with the key ring. changes nothing with how the game is played just a really annoying artifact of poor design.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:46 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bring back the compass window! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sense heading?
Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm certainly on board with the key ring. changes nothing with how the game is played just a really annoying artifact of poor design.
Having to micro manage your inventory is absolutely part of all the small things that make the game special. When you change keys from something physical that your character has to contend with to a virtual flag, then keying becomes just some task to access a zone rather than a part of your character's physical place in the world.

As the design stands you have to think about what keys are important enough to deal with the hassle of carrying and looting them all the time. A "key ring", that is anything more than a bag for keys, would essentially delete the entire concept of keys from the game.

Again its this "greater than the sum of its parts" concept we purists keep preaching. When you start removing annoying and primitive design aspects, even if you don't realize it you are also removing part of what you and I and all of us actually love about the game.

It takes two seconds to pop your CS tooth and seb key into a bag after a rez, its really not that oppressive.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Again raid chat would be amazeballs
Old 09-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The people behind this server do not care about drawing more people in. And they've flat out said as much: Nilbog has a quote to the effect that he plans to make this place classic even if that means driving every last player off.
This.

I often wish there was more of a financial incentive for the P99 devs to be more concerned about population. We would get some QoL changes, we would get Luclin eventually, and Veksar, and the Cazic Thule revamp, and blue could be more than just a retread of classic EQ, it could be the best EQ ever could have been.

The truth though is that fewer players would make their lives easier, and P99 is more a labor of love, an homage, a work of art intended to recreate a time and a place faithfully, regardless of how appealing it is to people than it is an attempt at making a popular EMU server.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

Keep it

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My point was they already changed some of the classic stuff already, for whatever reason, so the "purity" is already gone
I have no interest in the rest of your argument: make your case for keyrings or whatever ... I might even agree with you. But don't try and say (more or less) "what's one more unclassic thing among many?", when there's a clear difference between stuff that has to be and stuff that doesn't.

There's no hypocrisy on the part of the Project 1999 staff: they want all "QoL features" gone. For various reasons they have to keep some, and you're completely right that it's not 100% pure ... but it is 100% as pure as they can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Finish the damned MoB pop up feature!!)
Do you mean the loc map feature? We have almost all cities and half the zones, but if you want to help see: http://wiki.project1999.com/Adding_a_Loc_Map

Quote:
I am just saying I think there are things YOU don't know, or haven't considered. Once again, my bad, I should have been more clear on my expression of view. Please forgive.
No harm, no foul, and there are many things I don't know and haven't considered.

But like I said, I have written about half the non-classic compendium (and reformatted the rest). I've also been on this forum for half a decade, and this has been discussed many, many times, so it's not like what I'm saying is out of nowhere.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-30-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 05:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

I often wish there was more of a financial incentive for the P99 devs to be more concerned about population. We would get some QoL changes, we would get Luclin eventually, and Veksar, and the Cazic Thule revamp, and blue could be more than just a retread of classic EQ, it could be the best EQ ever could have been.
Strip out all of the RPG elements, add in MTX for ease of leveling. Essentially what P99 is not, just use the titanium client with no mods. Don't forget the mercenaries. Also add in twitch streaming functionality and see if one of the popular young artists will do up some commercials on TV to promote it.

(no troll, illness with modern gaming..why the hell am I here still.)
Last edited by Mblake81; 09-30-2019 at 05:12 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM
Banned

The sad reality is that the extremely vocal minority of people who play on blue, and even smaller even more vocal minority of those players who actually frequent and post on this forum will always shout louder "CLASSIC! FU!" because most players don't post here and they don't feel as strongly as the extremely vocal minority.

That vocal contingent won't be satisfied until the powers that be are able to replicate random disconnects that are "classic" because of how awful internet was back then. They think that anything that makes the game even the slightest bit more enjoyable for the vast majority of players is a bad thing if it's not "classic". They value the pain and difficulty of the game during the "classic" era as the most important thing about the game and the era when in reality if they were actually honest with themselves they would admit that people didn't play everquest back then because of these things but in spite of them.

The game wasn't subsequently ruined by small QoL changes that the incredibly large majority of players on this server would cry tears of joy for, but because of the actual content of the game. These are things that the "CLASSIC! FU!" crowd will absolutely never admit to, and they will continue to take joy and excitement at our pleas and frustration. Either because they derive actual enjoyment or because they are unhappy in their lives and resort to trolling to fill a void.

Keep up the fight though OP. Maybe one day.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Righteous Grumpy Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The sad reality is that the extremely vocal minority of people who play on blue, and even smaller even more vocal minority of those players who actually frequent and post on this forum will always shout louder "CLASSIC! FU!" because most players don't post here and they don't feel as strongly as the extremely vocal minority.

That vocal contingent won't be satisfied until the powers that be are able to replicate random disconnects that are "classic" because of how awful internet was back then. They think that anything that makes the game even the slightest bit more enjoyable for the vast majority of players is a bad thing if it's not "classic". They value the pain and difficulty of the game during the "classic" era as the most important thing about the game and the era when in reality if they were actually honest with themselves they would admit that people didn't play everquest back then because of these things but in spite of them.

The game wasn't subsequently ruined by small QoL changes that the incredibly large majority of players on this server would cry tears of joy for, but because of the actual content of the game. These are things that the "CLASSIC! FU!" crowd will absolutely never admit to, and they will continue to take joy and excitement at our pleas and frustration. Either because they derive actual enjoyment or because they are unhappy in their lives and resort to trolling to fill a void.

Keep up the fight though OP. Maybe one day.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fight for your right.. to partyyyy. There are people to argue with here on the forum which makes it interesting for some folks. Place controversial thing here, see who takes the bait. The devs have been busy with restoring the patches, now that is complete attention is on some of the things they didn't have time for over the years. There really is no argument once you understand this.
Last edited by Mblake81; 09-30-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Closed Thread