Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Fire Giant

i remember charming dire wolves and mammoths with my 55ish druid in WW all the time, had like 80 cha and it would almost always last max duration, i think the cha for charm really only affects chanters on live. not sure if this helps but i remember as a druid cha not mattering at all in terms of my charm. GL hope it gets fixed
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Kobold

just something to note. I started charm kiting the dwarfs at BB docks at level 28 as a bard with 163 charisma..as most know these mobs are level 35 and so they were dark red to me. I'd say my charm stuck for full time 50% of the time at that level. the other times it normally stuck for at least a tick or two. It definitely stuck long enough for me to level from 28-35 in a very very short time period.

EDIT: Something else to take into consideration, i died once and was bound at kaladim, decided to run over and try the dwarfs at the docks naked at level 45.. i have 110 base charisma and charm did not stick AT ALL, it would drop after 3-4 seconds if i was lucky. so level 28 with 163 charisma was way better on same exact mob level 45 with 110 charisma. gives you an idea how powerful charisma is.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Just fyi, charm was never meant to be a stable spell. Cha only lowers the variancy at which a mob can break free, but it doesn't eliminate that variancy entirely. I've had stuff break on me 20 seconds after (not very pleasant when it can tear you apart in under 10)...and this is with 224 cha mind you.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just fyi, charm was never meant to be a stable spell. Cha only lowers the variancy at which a mob can break free, but it doesn't eliminate that variancy entirely. I've had stuff break on me 20 seconds after (not very pleasant when it can tear you apart in under 10)...and this is with 224 cha mind you.
I know, which is why I gave large sample sizes (level 28-35 for first, and I spent about 10 minutes trying to charm that dwarf when I was naked at level 45 and about 90% of the time charm didn't last longer then 3 seconds for second).
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Fire Giant

heh, glad i found this topic, i hope i can help = )

My druid is base of 75 Charisma, as should all druids be(i think), and i extensively charm monkeys in PoFear for our guild raids. not as much recently, but its a hell of a lotta fun. and its a very viable option, just carry around an obsidian shard, a staff of writhing, get it shaman buffed... ho - ly SHIT haha

My monkey owns in fear. You basically just have to think like an enchanter, always keeping the monkey snared, always recharming at like 5ish min duration, that type of thing, but its very viable and works out WONDERFULLY.

In full gear, vermiculated crown to boot, i sit at 164 cha. shamans or chanters buff me to 204 cha. if i dont have over 200 (i accidentally vendored a +5cha oppaline earring once. doh!) and im even sitting at 199 cha, it makes a HUGE difference. its like night and day, even on green con charms.

I went and was farming harpoons for myself and guildies in kedge the other night, went with a necro and a rogue. I charmed a fish and buffed it with everything,and basically sat back as my peircer raped everything,and the rogue basically just did work when the mob was below 50%. it was amazing.

biggest thing is to a) get over 200cha, and b) think like an enchanter that cant mez

Have fun dude. According to the verm crown, we were meant to charm haha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

The spell does a check every tick (6 seconds) to see if it should break, based on some equation that factors in charisma, level difference, and the mobs MR. I am 80% sure charisma is "taken out" of the equation completely at 200.

Early charm breaks on an otherwise 'charm friendly' mob don't really give any indication of anything in particular going wrong. It has the same chance to break the first tick as it does the 150th tick. And because time is linear, it just seems like bad luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Kobold

Whether it is bugged on this server or not, did Druids ever use charm often in classic? I can't ever remember using it, nor can I remember seeing anyone use it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah, Druids charmed all the time in classic (or at least some did). I have a friend who primarily soloed only in zones that had animals for just this reason.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

I remember.. I used to charm griffins in east commons.. invis/sow the griffin and camp near newbie orc groups! LOL good times!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Kobold

As I posted before I have bought just about every piece of char gear i can get minus the tranix crown(but have siryn hood). My cha does not make it to 160. Necos start with something like 60 cha. I have never ever been able to hold a charm more than the initial tick on this server. I dont know if the formula's are different for the classes, but tho unreliable(as charm should be) it was still a useful spell line. Here that is certainly not the case at least for necros.
Closed Thread