Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

The other thing to consider is that stats aren't working exactly on this emu as classic. Apparently right now int/wis is still giving more mana past the "soft cap" of 200 than it did in classic. While dex may help increase proc rates, it seems that weapons proc more than I remember in classic already. My widdershins staff procs a lot without any direct dex buffs, usually once per fight even on greenies. I do notice it proc more often when I use rage and dexterity though I wouldn't say it was an astronomical difference. Strength definitely makes a noticeable difference, even past 200. My level 50 Ogre shaman hits for a max of 66 when my STR hits the 255 cap. Only hits for about 55 when it's less than 200. Not sure how AGI contributes to ac exactly but I do notice I get a nice boost with AGI buffs.

Personally I'd say it's hard to go wrong with stats in the long run, though in the short run it could effect you. I put 5 points into AGI at creation to reach the 75 soft cap (if I remember anything less than 75 drops your ac) but I don't really know if that works on this server or not. I spent the rest on WIS since it's harder to reach 200 wis with a shaman than a druid or cleric. That way I could hit 200 with less items and use the rest of my available slots for hp/mana/ac. It seems now however that even if you go over 200 you aren't really wasting points since it doesn't drop to 1 mana per wis/int. I don't even have 200 wis right now anyways, I've already replaced some items with mana/hp and ditched the wis anyways. Plat tiara is far better than any 5 wis helm even under the cap. Black sapphire earrings clearly better than a 3 wis earring even under the cap, etc..
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Planar Protector

While there's merit to the concept of building your character with high-end Velious in mind, I agree with Ektar. A player should build his character around his own specific needs. I know of at least seven tanks who quit early on because they took the usual advice of putting everything into stamina, then found they had no fun running around constantly encumbered. The 'perfect' stat build, far from doing those players any good, drove them out of even playing! That's seven I do know; how many more are there? Perhaps that's part of the reason I see groups complaining about a lack of tanks.

Also as Ektar notes, stat allocation becomes more important to weaker races. That Ogre Warrior can dump his 25 points into Charisma for all it would matter--he'd have great stats anyway. On the other end of things, an Erudite Paladin will have weak stats in some way or another regardless of what the player chooses.

Point being: Do what works for you. In the long run, equipment can overcome nearly any stat deficiency, so you can't permanently ruin your character. Rather, your race and stat choice may cause some temporary hardship at some point or another, whether it's early on ('man this bronze armor is heavy!') or later down the road ('I'd sure like another 10 or 15 points of stamina!'). For those who actually will reach end-game Velious, starting points--and even race--means very little.

Oh, and let's not forget the final impact of stat allocation: At most, these types of stat changes will affect your character by a few percent in the long run. It's nothing people should fret over too much.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-29-2010 at 11:27 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Aviak

/agree with OP. I am playing a wood elf Ranger and I put a lot of points into STA. I have taken a Ranger to 60 and end game gear on a classi and kunark emu before everything was easy to come by and I always wished I had more STA. Thats what I did this time.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Enchanters can avoid charisma mostly based on the fact that you can get boatloads of charisma gear for so much cheaper than any almost any int gear.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Planar Protector

A lot of new players posting, so bump for great justice.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Bump for teh nubs again.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Aviak

Good post. Does this apply to one who can't twink their character. Figure if your gimped until you can start getting high end gear, how good are you throughout the beginning levels with no money to buy the gear with stats you need?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good post. Does this apply to one who can't twink their character. Figure if your gimped until you can start getting high end gear, how good are you throughout the beginning levels with no money to buy the gear with stats you need?
If you cannot afford twink gear, you will notice a small drop in DPS based on STR, which doesn't really make a huge difference till later anyway. As you get your regular kit over time, you will thank me.

This is NOT only doable with planar gear, I have had 188 str since level 35/40 or so with gear that I got by grouping in areas where I can kill my own shit.

For a rogue, items like Hero Bracer, Thick Banded Belt, Crested Helm, Dwarven Work Boots, etc., this goal is VERY attainable by anyone who plays a rogue seriously (i.e. not floundering sub level 20 for months). Other classes have similarly obtainable gear pre-planes that will achieve these goals as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Planar Protector

bump for noobs again
Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Fire Giant

hmpf i put almost all my points into wis and only a few in sta....should i reroll now? (i wont)
Closed Thread