Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbleTPeg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this the first time that the Project 1999 Team has modified (patched) the Titanium Client? I was under the impression that all changes had to be made to the server-side exclusively.
client has been modified and patch significantly, notable modifications like netcode encryption, and disabling in-game maps, etc
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Rogean: [Dec2001] Velious UI will be enforced prior to this Era.
Based gods. Keep up the good work bois
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Sarnak

I made a living on my enchanter with key bindings.

There are adjustments that can be made but at this point I hardly play anymore so there isn't much point. Will give Green a shot when it is released.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudrura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There are adjustments that can be made but at this point I hardly play anymore so there isn't much point. Will give Green a shot when it is released.
You realize green will be like this but way harder right? Not sure why people think green is gonna be like blue in the beginning. It's gonna be way harder.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soooo what other things are different that failed to get mentioned in the patch notes?
Not mentioned in the patch notes but the Druid spells to self port to Velious locations (Ring of Cobalt Scar, Ring of Great Divide, Ring of Wakening Lands) were added.

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 AM
Skeleton

Much hate as a pet class. Can't see if anyone has pets in group window, can't tell if I have a pet without pet window, so can't tell pet status without typing commands and/or binding them to virtually every hotbutton possible.

Also, I understand that the original devs hated wizards and other things, but patches in P99...come on, add some balance to the game. Rangers should have archery as a legit path instead of being forced to play melee to get any damage. Wizards should be power houses that are more than just 1-2 occasional nukes near the end of a fight. No one class should be overpowered. A ranger should be told "well, we couldn't find a monk, a rogue, or a back-up healer or tank or enchanter or mage or necromancer, so I guess we'll take you, because you're really not all that useful except as being similar to a mage pet, but with sow and some weak sauce abilities that a paladin and SK do better."

I realize that I'm over-simplifying and not giving enough credit, but that's how it feels. The game needs more balance, not making certain classes better than the rest. Better in some ways, sure, but there should be balance. Make them super great at melee and garbage at defense. Make them glass canons or make them tanks with modest melee, or something so that gameplay is balanced. These are issues we've known forever because EQ has been out forever. Instead of loving the original devs for their biases against specific classes or play styles, do what every other game does and make things balanced as time goes on, so that people actually have a reason to play wizards beyond porting and quadding, and so that archery isn't something that's only really useful as a pulling tool (because melee DPS is so much faster and better, and archery is only truly viable with end-game gear), and so that playing any/all classes is appealing for play style instead of how OP they are (instead of sticking with a nerfed class only because you already put so much time and effort in on them). Balance. Pros balance with cons. Balance. Keep Yoda in the air!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 AM
Decaying Skeleton

TLDR: Bring back pet windows and hotbars because all the libtard cucks want them, just more complicated than that.

So as a moderate I figured I should add some points that probably aren't being addressed by either sycophants who will white knight anything in the cause of "cuz' classic" and pissed off people.

So the issue at hand is that people are pissed off that pet windows and hotbars have been removed, and others are pissed off that people dare complain because classic and hard and stuff.
Pet windows and extra hotbars are things that make the game less inconvenient. Removing them just serves to make the game more inconvenient and thus less fun to play. You may say that this is necessary because they didn't exist in classic, but here's the thing: the game being a pain in the ass to play and the UI being annoying was not what made the game fun, hard or interesting. It was hard, fun and interesting because on the content not for the things that made the game more of a pain in the ass to play. We shouldn't be trying to being back annoying things from the past because it's more "accurate," we should be trying to be above those thing because we know better now. I would hope that no one would be hoping to bring back the days when we would have random lag spikes and disconnects because the internet sucked back in the day, or want half of all information about quests and strategies to be completely wrong or completely made up, or want to have loading between zones take a few minutes, or back in day when we couldn't link items and had people in EC selling "bags of stuff" and would have to open trade windows to show people what we're selling or the show stats of thing. There were lots of things wrong about the original game, and we all either hated them and were glad when they changed, or didn't realize how much we hated them until they added a quality of life change that made the game better.
The problem here is that these changes are regressive. Fundamentally they are changes that make the game more inconvenient and thus less fun to play. And really for what? This pretty much has caused a significant change to meta game, resulted in a schism in community and greatly diminished the moral of the community as a whole since suddenly there are all sorts of people that are pissed off about the changes, pissed off that anyone dare be pissed off about a change that makes things more classic or people just watching things become more toxic. And really for what? So some purists can say things are slightly more classic after 10 years of it being okay.
This isn't the direction the game should be going. We should be looking to make the game more fun for more people. I know back in the day we had to walk both ways uphill in the snow and we liked it, but really what are we accomplishing here.
And to the devs, I know you work hard for little reward, but having a swarm of complaints is really something you brought on yourselves. You made a change that would obviously be unpopular and people voiced their opinions. I was in EC when you had a broadcast that people should be complaining about changes when this should have been a milestone and people were laughing at you. Things don't need to be this way.
As many purists have pointed out there are ways to roughly get around the things you removed. The action bar has a huge amount of macros you can make and they can even be used while casting (a point that any angry person who hasn't given up on reading this rant should take note of). But here's the thing, why should they have to. If it's only a minor inconvenience to not have it, why do you care if people can have a more convenient way to use their pets, or use macros from a hotkey bar. I'm guessing most people that play a pet class, all seven of them (and before anyone trolls me on that necros, mages and enc are pet classes, but shamans also have pets, SKs have pets but are pretty much unaffected by this, and bards and druid both can charm), want to see this change reversed, and to everyone who plays something different why do you really care that someone else has a window in their UI that you will never see and will infact help you if you are even in a group or raid with them.
And honestly this all has a pretty simple solution. This doesn't need to be the shit show that it is. If the powers that be say either "we were wrong, this was an unpopular decision and we'll bring these things back because we value or players and their quality of life" or even if they say "fine if baby wants its bottle, here, have your stupid non-classic toys back, just shut up" it would be fine. Sure the people who value the concept of classic over all else will be upset, but for the most part the community will be happier and people will be complaining less (hopefully, and yes I get that giving in to popular demand might give precedent to people trying to bring about changes via complaining, but this is minor stuff that is widely unpopular).
And as a final point to my rambling, this whole experiment has been an exploration of classic Everquest that has been really interesting. But in the end the things that made the game the least classic are not UI conveniences or a meta-game that has had 20 years to evolves, its the exact same thing that changes any classic experience and that is power creep. Yes Velious is still classic graphics and UI and I'm fine with it being in the game, but if you want to point to something causing huge changes to how the game is played from classic it's not minor changes to UI it's the fact that a crystalline spider fang that's worth ~100pp is better than drops from the Maestro of Rancor. If all we focus on is making the game harder by making it more of a pain in the ass to play we are losing sight of what makes the game actually fun and actually hard.

So yeah, sorry about the long rambling rant that I'm guessing is filled with grammatical errors. Hopefully you stop listening to the people who support you no matter what, stop ignoring the people who are just whining and just don't get it, and pay a bit more attention to the people in the middle who don't usually post to forums who just want to play the game and not deal with this shit. In the end what the devs need to ask themselves is this "will more people leave or stay as a result of this decision?" I think by the overwhelming angry response you will have more people feel annoy, disillusioned or angry enough to just leave, whereas reversing the decision probably won't have anyone go "What? That's bullshit, I'm going to another source to get the game exactly as I remember it, will all the negative aspects I remember." I won't say that this decision is going to make me quit, and like many people this isn't the last straw that will make us go to another MMO option. It will however be a nagging thought in our brain whenever we log on and go "oh yeah, the powers that be decided to make the game more annoying because of classic elitists." And every time we have that thought we will be a little closer to going back to Rift or Guild Wars 2 or whatever else they play. And yeah, P99 can survive the assortment of people who are angry enough to post rants on the forums leaving, but it can't survived apathy and a slow migration of people in the middle. Please reconsider your decision of removing simple quality of life improvements for the sake of the community and longevity of the experiment as a whole.

Again sorry for writing something so long that no one will read it.

Also everyone who supports these changes is obviously just a monk who only care about themselves and the broken improvements to themselves from the last patch. We're on to you.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhuplush [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again sorry for writing something so long that no one will read it.
Yes yes.. you think your thoughts are relevant because you claim other people aren't having fun the right way. You're part of an exclusive club called "everybody". Playing a classic server and whining about classic says more about someone's personality than a million word post could.

But let's not forget the part where you claim you're a 9 billion IQ genius anti-white knight anti-sycophant whose right about everything. Surely if you convince Rogean you're god he'll change the game to suit the desires of people who've known full well what p99 was supposed to be for the past decade.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Honestly I expect to accomplish nothing from this. Chances are nothing will change and everyone will continue to have exactly the same opinion they continue to have. But hopefully the people in the middle who are merely unhappy about all this get heard instead of just the those on the extremes of either pole. The main reason I'm on the side of the complainers is that I feel that this change accomplishes almost nothing, but makes the game that much more annoying to play.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudrura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

'Make a living' ... Is that even permitted?!
Closed Thread