Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 07-20-2023, 07:00 PM
Orc

Default Quillmane spawn

So I have been reading the guides and watching videos on how to get QM to spawn. After watching this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIuc6hKYrw&t=3801s

it seems like you pretty much have to kill any and every spawn that is on that wiki list. You also need a ranger with max tracking and probably a few friends to boot.

Before the "improvement" people farmed this non stop. This was when the server was still fresh-ish. Now that we are basically at EoL, we now need to spend hours killing trash to try and get it to spawn.

I just want it for my monk but I pity the poor mages who need this for their epic. Can we revert this back? Does not seem fair to others when kingdom pretty much owned this zone, got all their cloaks now we must endure ridiculous mechanics to get a cloak.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quillmane is supposed to be rare and hard to get. People in 1999 were absolutely not selling "lev cloak loot rights" like happens here. And epics are supposed to be hard to get also. And also shamans can make lev potions for melee classes. I don't see a problem.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quillmane is supposed to be rare and hard to get. People in 1999 were absolutely not selling "lev cloak loot rights" like happens here. And epics are supposed to be hard to get also. And also shamans can make lev potions for melee classes. I don't see a problem.
Quill was rare and hard to get back in 1999 because people had no idea how to spawn her. When you have 20+ years worth of knowledge about how the spawn works it will inevitably get easier. Just like all the epics. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and adding convoluted and unclassic changes to attempt to negate the proliferation of information is a losing battle.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quill was rare and hard to get back in 1999 because people had no idea how to spawn her. When you have 20+ years worth of knowledge about how the spawn works it will inevitably get easier. Just like all the epics. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and adding convoluted and unclassic changes to attempt to negate the proliferation of information is a losing battle.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the quillmane spawn mechanics from 1999 were ever documented. The implementations of quill on p99 have basically been improvised by the devs. Plus it was changed within the last year, so which version was the classic version?
Old 07-20-2023, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the quillmane spawn mechanics from 1999 were ever documented. The implementations of quill on p99 have basically been improvised by the devs. Plus it was changed within the last year, so which version was the classic version?
You would have to ask the dev team where they got their data for the version we use to have. There was a very informative youtube interview with the OG eq live dev that designed quill originally. He specifically states in the interview that a lot of things back then were never intended to be as rare as they were, quill being one of them.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:08 PM
Kobold

Sorry you don't got float
Old 07-21-2023, 01:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure the spawn mechanics were documented. I'm too lazy to find it, but if you dig through the bug forums you should find a post that links to some other forum, where a former EQ developer explains how Quillmane's original mechanics work.

As I understand it, the current P99 mechanic is much more similar to the original classic mechanics than what we used to have previously ... but again, that bug thread would have more details.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:31 AM
Fire Giant

I’m happy things get worse and harder to get it’s just like lord of the rings.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Aviak

It doesnt take hours to find the placeholder and you dont need a max track ranger.. it helps but having a druid with a pet is more useful imo. Guilds farm multiple lev cloaks in one night.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:03 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to ask the dev team where they got their data for the version we use to have. There was a very informative youtube interview with the OG eq live dev that designed quill originally. He specifically states in the interview that a lot of things back then were never intended to be as rare as they were, quill being one of them.
We’re they not intended because of broken mechanics or was it done purposefully to boost subs? Again I believe that many things in this game are intentionally rare because they wanted to ensure people stay subbed. Regardless of how the devs wanted it to be, the higher ups I am sure had a say and I am sure the penny pinchers were telling devs to do things to ensure people stayed interested and engaged for as long as possible.

EQ is literally the carrot and the stick.

My point being is that lots of people got the cloak easily due to the prior mechanics. I remember doing it on my other character and got a cloak in like an hour for 6 people. I would have been fine with changing the mechanics on a new server, but someone decided to say oh this is wrong it works this way and the devs just changed it.