Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 01-19-2024, 09:18 PM
Kobold

Default Tanking with a rogue (duo w/sham)

Just looking for some advice. My sham friend and I have been duoing (both of us have Fungi tunics). So far its been ok/rough. I feel the spot we are in is good till 45 but then we are at a loss where to go after that.

1st question: As far as weapons my plan is Epic MH / SoED or Exquisite Velium Spear OH. I dont know if this is a good plan or not. Remember I am tanking and doing pretty much all the dmg. He really just heals and slows.

2nd question: Any advice on where to go 45+ that a rogue can tank with sham healer? I have mostly focused on Str and HP as far as gear goes.

3rd question: Should Shaman be tanking and I just Backstab? I am so so at tanking backstab maneuver (where i run thru mob and back up/BS before he turns around) So so = about 50% of the time.

Any help would be great thanks!
Old 01-19-2024, 09:49 PM
Fire Giant

Shaman should tank in this duo,so you can maximize dps.
Spirocs in td would be a good spot for ya until low 50s.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman should tank in this duo,so you can maximize dps.
This. Shaman should slow tank all the way to 60. Shamans are good tanks, especially since you have a Fungi on them. Faster kills via backstab will also reduce damage taken.

Bloodgills, guards, or Tower of Frozen Shadow can all easily get you to 50 or 51. Tower is more annoying since you need keys, but the XP is great.

55-60 Plane of Mischief rat maze is awesome.

51-55 is a bit harder for me to recommend, as I usually kill guards from 50-55.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-20-2024 at 12:50 AM..
Old 01-20-2024, 02:49 AM
Planar Protector

I would root the mob and balance proximity aggro so you can tank when you want and immediately back up for a backstab forcing it to flip on the closer player (the shaman).

It’s going to be a balancing game. Find the most efficient way to stay mana neutral and high kill speed. Or let the rogue tank the particularly nasty things since they actually have defensive skills.
As for zones, Grobb 45-51/2 and HK in the low 50’s is magic. Nobles with 2k hps drop fast.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Find a tank to trio with.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Agreed that best tank is sharing with root. Shaman can stand still while rogue steps in and out for tank/bs.

But even better is hiring a dedicated tank to reduce load and let the shaman med.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-22-2024, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

I've done a bunch of Shaman duos. Its generally good. I used to duo Sirens in SG with a Torp shaman when I was 55, and have done a bunch of puppet show in duos. You need very high MR for sirens though, and probably torp for both camps, so not great leveling.

The root suggestion is a good one, you want to be able to backstab effectively but you also are tankier if geared for AC and want to split the damage across the two of you if you both have fungis. If you're not AC geared you might want to let the shaman take more hits, but you still want to make sure that Regen and Fungi are both always healing you for efficiency.

PoM rat maze is probably good in high 50s. Puppt show audience might be decent? They're kind of high HP, but they're slowable and don't social, so you can just chain kill them as long as you have mana/hp and there's a high zone exp modifier.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:36 AM
Kobold

Agreed on the Shaman tanking and/or the root split tanking mechanic (one of my favorites as a rogue that often had to tank).

Dreadlands or Burning woods are both good places with lots of mobs to level off of from 45+. Firiona Vie is not far away for bind/merchants. You can also move to Chardok (probably too tough at 45 but will become doable in 50s).
Old 01-31-2024, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman slow, root tank. Shaman pet and rogue attack from behind. Very good duo. Only problem is no pacify but with root can split mobs. An underrated camp once your like 50 is Drov. Captain in KC.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman slow, root tank. Shaman pet and rogue attack from behind. Very good duo. Only problem is no pacify but with root can split mobs. An underrated camp once your like 50 is Drov. Captain in KC.
Use blind, far more uptime on mana, same effect as root - The Shaladin