Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: What do you recommend me to play?
Play Counter-Strike 2.0 only. 6 14.29%
Play EverQuest Project 1999 only. 28 66.67%
Play Oldschool Runescape only. 2 4.76%
I don't know. 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2023, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@OP if you haven't learned that video games are a massive waste of time by now, your life will end up in a dark, damp room at age 45, alone, poor, and empty.

Video games are a pastime, like watching TV or masturbating. In the end you have nothing to show for it, and you would have been better off developing yourself as a person or spending time doing a meaningful hobby.

Yes, P99 will be around for a long time, but the only people who will continue to play it are also shutins in a damp, dark room. Don't be that person.
I hate to break it to you, but it's all a waste of time. Anything you do for pleasure or to unwind, whether it's drinking in a bar, going to see an opera, whittling a piece of wood, painting a picture. Not everything has to be productive or generate something to 'show for it', and chances are that you will slowly grow to hate any hobby you turn into an enterprise.

Hangups about video games in particular are dogshit. If you're ending up alone and poor in a room at 45 that has more to do with decisions you've made in your life that go beyond your choice of recreation, and could just as easily happen with some divorced workaholic that neglects everything else in their life.

Exercise is important however
Old 05-22-2023, 01:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate to break it to you, but it's all a waste of time. Anything you do for pleasure or to unwind, whether it's drinking in a bar, going to see an opera, whittling a piece of wood, painting a picture. Not everything has to be productive or generate something to 'show for it', and chances are that you will slowly grow to hate any hobby you turn into an enterprise.

Hangups about video games in particular are dogshit. If you're ending up alone and poor in a room at 45 that has more to do with decisions you've made in your life that go beyond your choice of recreation, and could just as easily happen with some divorced workaholic that neglects everything else in their life.

Exercise is important however
Well sure, I'm not saying that there aren't other things to waste your time, but objectively some things are less of a "waste" than others. And op asked "Is it worth it to spend my time in EverQuest Project 1999", which the answer is clearly "No!"

Hard to argue that any if this is worth the time spent.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:52 PM
Sarnak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
poll was terrible

hope this helps
Old 05-23-2023, 10:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorenVC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Does anyone of you know which games would be lasting another 100 years from here on out?
1) Coitus
2) Chess
3) Mahjong
Old 05-23-2023, 10:44 PM
Sarnak

i with tears of the kingdom was multiplayer, spend all day with penis swastikas flying around trying to take down people on hoverbikes just trying to play the game or running around trying to sneak attack people fighting silver lynels also trying to kamakazi people fighting greeloks

actually i gave myself an idea to fight greeloks. ganna go try and load up a buncha explosive barrels to a fan powered glider
Old 05-25-2023, 05:17 AM
Fire Giant

I didnt read all of that but none of the games you listed or ever were made really will still be playable in 100 years outside of special cases like how p99 is a museum piece at this point.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:07 PM
Large Bat

Location: Germany, Rhineland-Palatinate, Neustadt an der Weinstraße
Talking EverQuest Project 1999 is the best MMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didnt read all of that but none of the games you listed or ever were made really will still be playable in 100 years outside of special cases like how p99 is a museum piece at this point.
yeah... i do think Old School RuneScape and Project 1999 or some kind of new server for EverQuest Classic will still be available with a reasonable playerbase (as it is now) in 50 years. Just look at the 40 million people who play Old School RuneScape right now, there won't EVER be a new RuneScape type of game anymore. It is quite certain OSRS will still exist in 50 years in my opinion. I could bet my life on it.

As with Project 1999 the servers could shutdown but noone knows and if they do shutdown won't there be a new group of people who upload their own server and the playerbase will switch to that? Don't forget that Project 1999 actually still gets new players every now and then like myself and I believe they are here to stay. If you do find Project 1999 you will most likely stay, having come so far to actually find this game at all. I've researched a bit and I figured out the best MMOs currently are as follows:

Guild Wars 2
Ultima Outlands
Tibia
Old School RuneScape
EverQuest Project 1999

I prefer the last two because Ultima Outlands is too complicated for me and for this reason it doesn't really have a healthy income of new players I think and Guild Wars 2 probably won't last 50 years because by then they will have made Guild Wars 3. In all honesty, spending my time in EverQuest Project 1999 seems pretty worthwhile because even if the servers shutdown, there will be new servers and it's not like the game will change much then. So what I learn, I keep forever. And I'd rather play a 3D game and not click on ugly stuff a billion times in Old School RuneScape although I admit it's fun but just not as much fun as EverQuest Project 1999.

I'm 26 years old and I just played my Barbarian Shaman to Level 7 and I love the game! This is just my cents to this... At least I'm pretty sure OSRS and some form of EverQuest Classic will still be playable and fun in even +50 years. I mean you said it yourself EverQuest is a museum piece by now and people still play it. That's just how good it is. We all know new game engines can't quite capture the feeling of old engines like the graphics, the soundtrack, you know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:51 PM
Banned

Indeed, Old School RuneScape has already demonstrated its staying power with a large player base, and its nostalgic appeal has helped it maintain popularity. Similarly, EverQuest Project 1999, as an unofficial classic server, has managed to attract and retain players who appreciate the older game experience.

It's true that some classic games and private servers manage to survive for a long time, often supported by dedicated communities. Additionally, when official servers shut down, private servers or fan-made recreations can emerge to keep the game alive.

However, it's important to note that the gaming industry is constantly evolving, and technology, player preferences, and market dynamics can change significantly over the span of several decades. While the core elements and experiences of these games might remain timeless for certain players, others might be drawn to newer gaming experiences and technology.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Find some bros irl and bust out goldeneye for n64.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

not sure about Project 1999's plans for the future but TAKP is supposed to exist as a museum server forever or until electricity is gone