Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
20 years farming play also means 20 years farming bracers.

That said, sure there will be less plat on green some people might sell items for less, but the really valuable items will be traded by barter not for currency. Or just be used by people who loot them.

The people actually generating the items by clearing content need to saturate their own strata with desirable items before they will trickle down through sales. On blue you have items 15 levels higher than you, meaning anything you find is distributed for greed.

Furthermore, ignoring the fact that you've taken 4 months to hit 39 which calls into question if you have as much time available as everyone else, time isn't the main factor in ability to accumulate wealth. 4 people spending 4 hours on productivity in Eq is with more than one person putting in 16 elf hours.

With all due respect, good luck on getting your tolans bracer 4 months in to green
You get too caught up in the items I use as examples to illustrate a point so that you don't see the point itself. Either that or you are just choosing to ignore it. And yeah, it took me 4 months to get to level 40 because the character that is about to hit 40 was like my 5th character as I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to really level up. Now that those irrelevancies have been discussed...

Of course I won't be able to get a Tolan's bracer 4 months into green because they won't exist as it's from Kunark. It was just an example of an item I'd like to get. Substitute any desirable item from pre-Kunark in it's place if you'd like.

I understand what you're saying with it taking time for items to trickle down through greed rolls. That is the same regardless of what era the server is in and it's really not germane to the discussion. Items can and obviously do come available to purchase and it doesn't take that long.

My primary point in this whole discussion is that in a game economy that is bloated with cash, items that have inherent value cost more because there are a large amount of people with money to spend and that puts upward pressure on prices. This is basic macroeconomics. When you come into that economy with nothing as a new player, affording things many others will take for granted is harder for you. A fresh start on a new server means you come into the economy with nothing but so does everyone else. Where you go from there is up to you but at least you're not 10 years behind.

If you think that doesn't matter to someone who is new, let me ask you a couple questions. First, we have seen very recently a bunch of bannings for RMT transactions. Why would people spend real money on an emulated version of a 20 year old game? Secondly, who do you think most of the people buying stuff with real money were? Newer players or people that have been playing here for 10 years?
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

You're right, good luck buying your mama stone for 2000pp on green.
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-25-2019 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Kept typo.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of curiosity, what are reasons people would not want green merged onto blue in 3 years?
Okay, so getting back to my comment, I have a completely different reason for not wanting the two servers to merge. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can articulate it very well, but it just feels wrong to me to merge two separate populations. P99 is very much a community-oriented game, and having a bunch of characters merged in from another community all at once feels wrong... dang, I wish I was better at explaining things. It just feels like a community of people playing together should all have been on the same server the entire time for continuity.

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see you saw the typo and are purposely keeping it, but this is one of the best "not what I meant but works anyway"'s I've seen in a long time.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of curiosity, what are reasons people would not want green merged onto blue in 3 years?
Blue has had many non classic things that were originally on the server and later removed or corrected. Items and mechanics that shouldn't have existed were in the game for extended periods of time. Blue has been a work in progress.

It doesn't make sense to merge the two servers/dump green onto blue, unless it's an issue due to resources, manpower, lack of interest/population, or daybreak agreement.

Also, cheating via ShowEQ and MacroQuest was rampant pre-Kunark and for a bit after Kunark's release.

Blue is a test/beta/steroid/asterisk server. Green is the original vision, what they originally wanted to launch, something as close to the classic experience as possible.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee12874 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay, so getting back to my comment, I have a completely different reason for not wanting the two servers to merge. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can articulate it very well, but it just feels wrong to me to merge two separate populations. P99 is very much a community-oriented game, and having a bunch of characters merged in from another community all at once feels wrong... dang, I wish I was better at explaining things. It just feels like a community of people playing together should all have been on the same server the entire time for continuity.
You explained it fine and it makes sense. Having your server community assimilated into another is usually not fun in my experiences.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though until you see an admin say green is going to get rolled into blue. Until then, it's just a bunch of players engaging in speculation. If you think about it, there are a lot of issues with merging servers that they would have to address. A couple I can think of immediately:
  • Duplicate names which are 100% certain to occur
  • People not having enough empty character slots to accommodate a merge

With the first one, it won't always be the same person having the name on both servers. Someone will lose their name and they are going to be hacked off about it. It is a certainty.

With the second one, since we can only have one account for p99, you can't just make a 2nd one to play on green which means if you have 4 characters on green, you would need 4 empty slots on blue to be able to move them. I don't know about you, but I have zero empty slots on blue and I really don't want to delete any of my characters, much less several of them.

Finally there is the technical issues associated with merging the two servers. I'm sure there is no magic "merge servers" button they can push to do it and I doubt it's just a simple matter of copy/pasting database entries. I'm not a programmer but I know there is some work involved in doing that. I'm sure these admins could do it but I question whether they would want to.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I thought cross-server trading was forbidden though.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Green will be a lot of fun for everyone who doesn't worry about what it will do to Blue and just play the game with populated zones and a healthy server population. Things will be so crowded that you'll actually be able to find pick up groups in Permafrost. Here's hoping anyway.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

I consider anyone who likes classic EQ to be part of my community.

It makes me a little sad that there are players here that think that if you are part of another server, that you are some how not someone that you would love to be around, given the opportunity. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As long as you want to talk lore I dont care if you are red green blue or purple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
I consider anyone who likes classic EQ to be part of my community.

It makes me a little sad that there are players here that think that if you are part of another server, that you are some how not someone that you would love to be around, given the opportunity. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As long as you want to talk lore I dont care if you are red green blue or purple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that was the point they were trying to make.
Closed Thread