Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think Luclin models should be an option for Project 1999?
I do not want Luclin models 554 66.75%
I want Luclin models. 276 33.25%
Voters: 830. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Fire Giant

wow.....nuff said....
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Every day that I play on this server all I can think to myself is- "ARGG, this server would be PERFECT if I could just use luclin models!!!!!!." It's beyond frustrating for me at this point. I've tried to tweak with SoF so that I could use luclin models, and I was pretty successful. I got spells working as they should. However, SoF is so plagued with other little bugs it's just not worth it anymore.

Please please make it so that if we want to use luclin models, that we can. This in no way effects game mechanics (obviously), it is just personal preference.

Me, my wife, and my two friends that all play on this server feel exactly the same way about this subject. We all love classic EQ, but we also loved when they released the new luclin models. We would to play with both!!!''

EDIT: After reading a few of the pages of this thread, I Just want to point out that I am in no way angry, or think bad about any of the developers of this project. In fact I am eternally grateful to them for the server I've been waiting for for YEARS. I am simply put: Frustrated that I cannot view my character the way I was used to viewing them after luclin/PoP came out. I think the Luclin models were a huge improvement to the visual aspect of the game, and I love them!
Last edited by Linkamus; 07-12-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Sarnak

I don't want Luclin models, and voted accordingly, but, I don't care if other people want to use them. Nothing wrong with granting cosmetic options to people.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Kobold

I don't wish to step on anyone's toes, but my live experience BEGAN post Luclin. I was surprised to see the classic models weren't that bad, until I saw trolls. That is fucking ridiculous.

If people, such as myself, would rather install a few files to change what things look like ON THEIR OWN COMPUTER SCREEN!!, then you should allow them to do it. I realize the devs are trying to keep it as classic as possible, which is why they should keep the classic models in the original server files or w/e. It should, however, be an option to those players who are in this shit for the long haul, to have the CHOICE of what they want their shit to look like. Personally, I have a soft spot for Luclin models because that is all I have ever known. I think it kinda sucks that some of you out there want to bash them and ruin the chances of my increased EQ experience just for the sake of .....idealistic bullshit. Thats frankly all it is. "Fuck luclin models, this is classic EQ rawr rawr rawr."

It's one thing to try and keep things "classic", especially when it comes to zones and programming and the numbers behind everything, however all we are talking about is LOOKS. Graphics. Nothing more. Not even server wide stuff, just for those who want to use them.

I beg you, please allow us the option to install Luclin models. That shit would make my fucking day.

Also note, if this were the case, I would IMMEDIATELY re-gear my level 19 Troll Warrior and start playing him again, being that I didn't have to look at his fat fucking ass all day.

Pardon my french. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Sarnak

I'd prefer that they're disabled for everyone. Although it doesnt give anyone an advantage, per se, it does create a cosmetic disparity between players.

I kept Classic models til DoN or so, and i was always annoyed by the fact that my toons and the toons I could see looked different to 99% of the EQ population.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeskas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it does create a cosmetic disparity between players.
So what? My custom UI is a cosmetic disparity, too.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what? My custom UI is a cosmetic disparity, too.
Eh. It's just my opinion. I don't care about your ugly UI as much as i do different models between different people. But this is a classic server, in case you've forgotten.....

I would be in favor of removing custom UI's, as well, in favor of exact copies of classic-velious era UI's. But in this build, i doubt an exact copy is possible.
Last edited by Poeskas; 07-13-2010 at 01:01 AM..
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Sarnak

Although I prefer the status quo...

If there were to be any luclin models at all, then I would want them to show up on everyone's screen, but only for people who want to have the new model represent themselves. Basically, each person chooses to look like the classic model or the new model and that choice is reflected on everyone's screen. Everyone will see whichever model each person they are looking at has chosen.

I pick my race, my weapons, and my armor, partly based on how they look. It's important to me that the choices I make for my avatar are visible to all the people I meet in game. To me, it is part of the integrity of the shared world we play in.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumesh Uhl'Belk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although I prefer the status quo...

If there were to be any luclin models at all, then I would want them to show up on everyone's screen, but only for people who want to have the new model represent themselves. Basically, each person chooses to look like the classic model or the new model and that choice is reflected on everyone's screen. Everyone will see whichever model each person they are looking at has chosen.

I pick my race, my weapons, and my armor, partly based on how they look. It's important to me that the choices I make for my avatar are visible to all the people I meet in game. To me, it is part of the integrity of the shared world we play in.
Well said, my man. I think i could go for this type of system as well, if it came to that.
But I vehemently oppose the dichotomous implementation of Luclin textures as we experienced on live.
It undermined the significance of the choices we made for our avatars and the detracted from the integrity of our shared world, as you say.

And it was absolutely not, f*cking classic!!
Last edited by Poeskas; 07-13-2010 at 03:36 AM..
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Aviak

I voted in favor of Luclin models, for several important reasons:

(1) First of all, it is improper to pretend that Luclin is not "classic EQ." It most certainly is classic, being that it was the last expansion which was fully developed by Verant. It is not a "Sony expansion," so please stop referring to it that way. Verant developed Luclin and in fact, they had even started working on the initial stages of PoP when they finally sold out completely to SOE in mid-2002. I have had this explained to me directly by none other than Brad McQuaid himself, via some casual messages that we exchanged during the beta testing of Vanguard. So perhaps this opens up another issue for the P1999 administrators: why don't you simply continue patching the game right up through Luclin..? That way, all of the legitimate, classic Verant content will eventually will be covered. You may not have cared for Luclin for whatever reasons, but your preference does not make Luclin any less valid as a classic EverQuest expansion. It was a 100% Verant-produced expansion to the classic game, period.

(2) Speaking as a texture artist, the rejection of the Luclin models is irrational, as they are generally superior to the original models. I think what we're seeing here are emotional responses based upon nostalgia, rather than objectivity and common sense. Which is fine... everyone is entitled to their feelings. But claiming that the Luclin models look bad in comparison to the originals is just plain ridiculous. And also, it should be pointed out once again that those upgraded models were developed by Verant... not by SOE.

(3) Lastly... and this has been touched upon many times within this thread... I do not think this issue should be decided by a poll. The results of polls are often dominated by status quo's and cliques. It makes more sense to decide this issue based upon INCLUSIVENESS. Do you want the ENTIRE player base to be happy with their options..? Then enable the Luclin models for those players who desire them. Do you prefer to be dictatorial and insist that everybody MUST be seeing the exact same things as everybody else..? And does everything we see NEED to be compatible with 1999 EverQuest..? Then you can start by forcibly removing the 2005 HUD elements, disabling widescreen graphics options, forcing low-res textures on EVERYTHING, disabling quite a few console commands, and... need I go on..? The entire attitude of "I only want you to see blah blah blah" is utterly ridiculous. Personally, I have the ability to hack into my game files and make sure that all of you appear completely naked on my screen, with big purple smiley faces on your backsides. I could do that in a heartbeat, if I wanted to. Do you really care..? Well, you shouldn't. It's my screen, not yours. The entire "shared experience" argument is thus worthless, as there will always be too many variables... thus it is impossible to ensure it. Let's just give up on that tact -- because it is not valid, nor is it enforceable.

I think we should look at this in the same way that our lawmakers look at the "gay marriage" issue. I personally am not in favor of gay marriages. Lots of other people are in favor of them. And in every state where that issue has been put to the vote, it has been shot down by a small margin. But the law, in its wisdom, realizes that deciding such issues by way of a vote (or a poll) is simply opening the door to unfair discrimination by the majority against a minority. Imagine if we held a poll in some of the more redneck southern U.S. states, and asked the mostly white population if blacks should continue to be allowed to vote, or be able to sit in the front of the bus. You can imagine how such a poll would turn out... but would it be fair..?

To sum it up: I feel that to be as inclusive and as fair as possible to ALL of the players on this server, the players themselves should have the option to select which character models they desire to see on their screens. And if the object of this poll was to "gauge interest in having Luclin models available," then the admin should recognize that according to the results, a full third of the player base has expressed such an interest. That's a very sizable number of players, all thing considered... hence it should be concluded that there is in fact a very strong interest amongst the players to have the Luclin models be made available as an option.

PS -- for the record, I began playing EQ in late 1999 and continued up until mid-2003, at which point I just couldn't take the dumbed-down SOE content any longer. I am as veteran as it gets, pretty much. But I won't allow my nostalgia to blind me to the fact that options are always better than a lack thereof, so long as they do not significantly impact upon the core gameplay.
Last edited by Rasterburn; 08-29-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Closed Thread